FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the 2010 Fusion Hybrid a couple of weeks ago (love it) through cash for clunkers (96 Mercury Villager). Anyway, looking through the owners manual I noticed this, I quote:

"Your vehicle is equipped with a long life air filter. The air filter is
designed to last the life of the vehicle. See your authorized dealer or a
qualified technician for replacement. The technician can check the
diagnostics system for the possibility of an excessively dirty air filter. "

How can this possibly be true? I have never heard of an air filter that was designed to last the life of the vehicle. Air filters all get dirty, clog up and eventually need replacement don't they? The manual did not even make a note about changing the air filter when driving frequently on dusty dirt roads. The maintenance checklist goes up to 150,000 miles and never mentions to change the engine air filter! Not even to visually check it! The only note is that a technician has to check the diagnostics on the car to see if the air filter needs changing.

Don't get me wrong, I love not having to pay for maintenance, this is an incredible advance in engineering, however, can anyone help me understand how a car (even a hybrid) can have an air filter that will last the life of the vehicle?
EdC

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
[quote author=EdC link=topic=153391.msg3280056#msg3280056 date=1250300008]
I just purchased the 2010 Fusion Hybrid a couple of weeks ago (love it) through cash for clunkers (96 Mercury Villager). Anyway, looking through the owners manual I noticed this, I quote:

How can this possibly be true? I have never heard of an air filter that was designed to last the life of the vehicle. Air filters all get dirty, clog up and eventually need replacement don't they? The manual did not even make a note about changing the air filter when driving frequently on dusty dirt roads. The maintenance checklist goes up to 150,000 miles and never mentions to change the engine air filter! Not even to visually check it! The only note is that a technician has to check the diagnostics on the car to see if the air filter needs changing.

Don't get me wrong, I love not having to pay for maintenance, this is an incredible advance in engineering, however, can anyone help me understand how a car (even a hybrid) can have an air filter that will last the life of the vehicle?
EdC
[/quote]

Hi Ed. :wavey: Congratulation again on your new Fusion!

The explanation is one of those "so obvious we didn't even think of it" kind of answers. It is actually very simple if we look at it in a step by step fashion: It is a Hybrid. So a good part of the time the car will be propelled by the electrical system, with the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) shut down. When the ICE is shut down, it is not using air or fuel. If it is not using air, it is not pulling air in through the induction system. If it is not pulling air in through the induction system, there is no air being pulled through air filter. If there is no air being pulled through the air filter, the air filter is not getting dirty (even if you are on a dusty road).

So, due to the car running on the electrical system a good part of the time, the estimated life of the air filter is greatly extended. Will it really last the life of the car? I hope so. Either way, keep in mind that the life of the average vehicle is less then 150,000 miles. But as they state in the Manual, the condition of the air filter can be checked by the Service Technicians at anytime through the Vehicle Diagnostic System.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
464 Posts
That air filter is in such a bad spot no wonder its "lifetime". Its behind the drivers side foglight and you have to get to it from underneath after you take all of the plastic shrouding off thats in the way.

Oil change is listed as 10k too. I can't stomach 10k on oil and I definitely can't stomach lifetime air filters. I'm going to have to pull that thing out and see if its made from the cape of superman or something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
[quote author=aggoodin link=topic=153391.msg3280505#msg3280505 date=1250340975]
That air filter is in such a bad spot no wonder its "lifetime". Its behind the drivers side foglight and you have to get to it from underneath after you take all of the plastic shrouding off thats in the way.

Oil change is listed as 10k too. I can't stomach 10k on oil and I definitely can't stomach lifetime air filters. I'm going to have to pull that thing out and see if its made from the cape of superman or something.
[/quote]

When it's running on batteries 50% of the time I can see the oil going 10k. No blow-by. The 09 non-hybrids say 7500 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts

EdC

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid and it also has a maintenance free air filter. Couldn’t believe it either. Well it’s a good car and I keep it maintained except for the air filter of course. Well recently while driving on freeway the car would shut down on me when going at 70 mph or over. That’s the only thing I could think was wrong with it, not enough air going in through air filter. Decided to get a new one from Ford (comes with MAF sensor already). Took out old one and blew air through air intake tube and it was difficult to blow air through filter. I literally cut the old assembly in half and it was clogged and dirty. My car as over 130000 miles. See pictures of inside.

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
Hi Chato. Thank you for the heads up and photos. I am sure it will help other hybrid owners.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
Hi Chato. Thanks again. On a related note...you may want to also join and post this information over on the Ford Fusion Forum: Ford Fusion Forum

While we once had great participation here on the Ford Fusion Club, it has dropped off precipitously in the last couple of years, as you can see be the scarcity of recent posts. And as I have said many times, it is a shame, because we had many great members who were always willing to help.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts