FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned my 2004 Mazda 6 lease and bought a 2007 Ford Fusion today. One of the two main things I already miss about the Mazda is the manual shift knob. It felt like I was gripping a baseball, the leather matched the interior (tan), and it had a nice metal inset with the gear pattern (don't really need that, but it looked nice). The Fusion has this massive oddly-shaped black obelisk sticking out of the nice 'camel' interior. :?

Does anybody know what thread is on the lever itself and/or have any recommendations for where to go for an aftermarket replacement. Of course, if the Mazda shift knob fits on the Fusion lever, that would be a good option too. :banana:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Congratulations on finally getting your Fusion, Diode, and welcome to this forum, too. I'm sure someone here will be able to answer your shift knob question even though I cannot (have an automatic).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Boz!

I forgot to mention the other thing that I miss already from my Mazda--the steering wheel mute button. So close, yet so far away. :squint:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I unscrewed the knob and took it into Lowes--don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. :?
Anyway, it seems to be an M10 x 1.25 thread. A bit of an oddball, but at least now I can email retailers with specific information.
Or, if I loose my mind, I can get something special fabricated from a sphere... :crazy:
http://www.spherestoyou.com/Sshoppe/Copper.htm

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=Diode link=topic=79202.msg1459548#msg1459548 date=1180978137]
I unscrewed the knob and took it into Lowes--don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. :?
Anyway, it seems to be an M10 x 1.25 thread. A bit of an oddball, but at least now I can email retailers with specific information.
Or, if I loose my mind, I can get something special fabricated from a sphere... :crazy:
http://www.spherestoyou.com/Sshoppe/Copper.htm
[/quote]

Diode,

Spheres site is a bit of a hoot. Did you already check to see if a Mazda shift knob would fit, by chance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't checked yet, but I would be shocked if it didn't fit. Perhaps I'll take the Fusion down to Flat Rock (where we build the Mustang and the North American market Mazda 6) and borrow one to check the fit. Or, to avoid trouble, I could just bring an M10 1.25 bolt into the plant and check the fit in-station.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Diode - congrats on your Fusion purchase!! :fc:

How did you come to choose the Fusion over the 6?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

I decided that I preferred people jumping to the wrong conclusion and thinking that my Mexican car was an American car rather than jumping to the wrong conclusion and thinking that my American car was a Japanese car. Overall, I am happy with the Fusion although my Mazda was better in the turns--haven't figured out why yet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
has anyone got any nice looking shift knob? Specially those of you guys that changed the shifter, can we get some ideas of options that are out there?

thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts