FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 06 Fusion, I'm thinking about getting a portable GPS for it.

My only problem is - it usually looks out of place and ugly with the interior. I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of the interior of their Fusion with a portable GPS in it?

I want to get a feel for what mine might look like, as well as any suggestions on how to make it look a bit nicer if I do indeed get one.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well unless you can figure out a way to hide it, you have to use a suction cup on the windshield to expose the internal atenna. You can and should remove the GPS when parked otherwise you risk theft. Garmin NUVI units have a small suction cup and does not bother me. The only annoying feature of all portables is the 12V cig plug which has to hang down from the GPS to your lighter. I am traveling so sorry cannot take photos but take a look at gpspassion.com and do your research. Sounds like you want a unit with a smaller screen and thus a smaller footprint.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
with the size of some of those units, I've often thought about mounting a GPS screen in the hole where the CEL lights and all of that are (those lights aren't THAT important, are they?? :)

Problem is - there goes the touchscreen. I'd have to find a way to make it work with a touchscreen Head Unit and see if I could export the touch features to another screen. Since I'd like to be able to have a movie on at the same time that I am doing directions (I don't want to install rear headrest units), I almost think I just need to say screw it and install a "carputer"

BTW, I love those Garmin units. I have had one or another of them in all of my car rentals and have loved the sheet out of all of them.

·
Registered
505 Posts
[quote author=dberube link=topic=94876.msg1858805#msg1858805 date=1195192549]
it usually looks out of place and ugly with the interior.
[/quote]anything that is not integrated into the dashboard will look ugly and out-of-place... there's really no way to avoid that. it's also a potential theft issue because anything that looks expensive that is not permanently installed is a nice invitation for a would-be-thief to smash your window and steal your GPS (and anything else that's not bolted in ;)) now security reasons aside, as far as looks go I would consider a windshield suction cup mount as a last resort, they NEVER look good. luckily there are several other ways/places you could mount it.

before I installed my carPC I had a portable XM SAT receiver mounted in place of the "FUSION" logo on the center bezel (or clock for SEL models). the "FUSION" logo is on a plastic piece that pops out from behind. this is actually a nice spot because its up high enough to see it clearly while driving and you can run the wire(s) behind it, the only thing you see from the front would be the GPS unit itself.

here is a pic of my old SAT radio install, just picture a GPS receiver in it's place:

another spot to consider would be above the rearview mirror. this spot is nice because it's out of sight from thieves and you can hide the wires behind the headliner/side pillar. the downside to this spot is that you may get a sore neck from looking up constantly, I suppose it depends on how tall you are and how often you will actually be looking at the screen vs. just listening to the directions.

another option is to replace the factory stereo with a single-DIN aftermarket head unit (which has many other benefits besides this ;)), and mount your GPS receiver in the empty space above.

another method is to buy (or make) a metal bracket that bolts to the dash (behind the center bezel). this will not look as "clean" as the last three options but it will still look better than a suction cup mount.

good luck :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=94876.msg1861357#msg1861357 date=1195317592]
I almost think I just need to say screw it and install a "carputer"
[/quote]what's to think about?? with a carputer you can have/do whatever you want. Movies, Videos, Live TV, Music, GPS, Engine diagnostics, Rear-view backup camera, front-view night vision camera, office-apps, wireless internet, and the list goes on... and on...

you know you will at some point... when you finally do you'll wonder why you hadn't done it sooner ;) depending on what features you end up including/building into it, it can quickly end up being much cheaper than separate stand-alone devices would have cost.

oops, my bad.. lets get back :femgearhead:

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have two Garmin units that I have borrrowed (my parents Streetpilot c530 & my neighbor Nuvi 660) to test. I've set them up right in front of the shifter next to the 12v outlet. They seem to fit there nice, the plug is there and also I have the mini jack for my MP3 player there (which works perfect with the 660 since it also plays MP3's). I will take a photo tomorrow and post it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts