FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here heard about how Acetone might improve fuel economy, idle, response, and performance? I'd like to know what you guys think about this subject.
I'd also like to inform your guys that I'm sold on this idea enough from the research I'm done to try it in my wifes '96 chevy monte carlo and maybe my '87 s15 jimmy. The latter depending on how it does in the chevy. I'm going to try 2oz per 10 gallons of gas to start. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes of course.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
This myth has been shot down more times than I can count....

Seriously, don't waste your money or time.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Tried it in my '03 Ford Focus 2.3L. It didn't improve my fuel economy, and I think on average I lost 1MPG. But IIRC, my engine did seem a little quieter.

·
Registered
840 Posts
if you do try it, i believe the ratio is 1 ounce per 10 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many people believe that it works better on older vehicles because it's cleans the carbon deposits out of the engine. I'm trying this on older vehicles so maybe I'll get something. I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Acetone does work. Period. Any argument is wrong. (It must be used in the proper ratios to get the results you are looking for!) It will improve mileage and clean everything it touches in your engine.

The drawbacks can be terrible, though. Acetone attacks oil products. Rubber will dry out and crack and many plastics will become brittle. I wont use it because it is too big a risk to my fuel system and other components.

Whether its works or not doesn't matter because it is trumped by the possibility of catastrophic failure, IMHO.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=pantherdan link=topic=94860.msg1859078#msg1859078 date=1195215737]
Acetone does work. Period. Any argument is wrong.

[/quote]

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but do you actually have any proof from reputable sources? I'd be interested in reading up on it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Mythbusters on TV tried it and didn't do any of the stuff it claimed it would do.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Holy Crap,are you serious? Have you guys seen what acetone does to seals, o-rings, etc...? Put some o-rings in a can, pour some acetone on them (even mixed 10:1 with gas) and see how long it takes before they are dried out.If I was that worried about my mileage, I'd buy a diesel golf or something.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yikes! Do your car a favor and go to BITOG and read up on fuel system cleaners. Schaefers and Redline cleaners are excellent but hard to find, Techron and Regane are at every auto parts store and go on sale often for 1/2 off (that's when I stock up 8)).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=cos link=topic=94860.msg1862925#msg1862925 date=1195412100]
Yikes! Do your car a favor and go to BITOG and read up on fuel system cleaners. Schaefers and Redline cleaners are excellent but hard to find, Techron and Regane are at every auto parts store and go on sale often for 1/2 off (that's when I stock up 8)).
[/quote]

We aren't talking about fuel system cleaners. Although Acetone is the main ingredient(~70%) of most fuel system or fuel injector cleaners. It is often used under a different name by slightly changing the formulation. Methyl ethyl ketone is one of the big names, it's slightly reformulated and is closer to peroxide. Anyway, like I said I'm going to be a guinea pig for everyone and test in in my '96 monte carlo, currently 126k Miles 28.5MPG) and '87 s-15 Jimmy(161K miles). The Jimmy I don't have before MPG ratings, but it will let us know if it kills the fuel system as it's 20 years old and shouldn't be in the greatest condition as it is. I think it was getting 19-20mpg. I also know that it had a rough idle because it has heavy deposits on the pistons and probably cylinder head so if it is really a good engine cleaner then I'll find out.
Don't rush me for results as this is a long term test and will be updating over time.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Another BITOG favorite is: Fuel Power. So, why not use a tried and tested formula?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I do engine flushes on older motors with kerosene. Am I following some myth? :)

Acetone... yeah, it works almost as good as putting 2 magnets around your fuel lines to balance out the gasoline cells.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts