FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about due for my first oil change, and I want to do it myself. I've got a few questions before I go out and buy all the crap that I need.

From now on (I bought the car used), my baby gets only full synthetic. How much Mobil 1 should I buy?

I'll be making some ramps, unless the factory jackstand and cinderblocks will do. Any preference/advice on that?

How does one typically dispose of the drained oil? And how big of a pan do I need?

I think that about does it. Any insight on these matters would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
SBT

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I hope someone come behind me and correct me if I am wrong, but I think I had to buy 5 quarts of oil (I use Castroil). I have yet to change my own oil in my Fusion and I have been thinking of making jack stands, but the best thing to do is buy some steal ramps to be safe. You can take the used oil to basically any parts store like Auto Zone and they will dispose of it for you.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Your local Auto Zone or Advance will dispose of your use oil. Bring it to them in your oil pan. Five quarts of quality synthetic will do you fine. I'm running Valvoline Synpower right now but I have a case of Amsoil XL that is going in from now on.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=87464.msg1672670#msg1672670 date=1188249093]
Your local Auto Zone or Advance will dispose of your use oil. Bring it to them in your oil pan. Five quarts of quality synthetic will do you fine. I'm running Valvoline Synpower right now but I have a case of Amsoil XL that is going in from now on.
[/quote]
So, basically, same thing I said. :slap:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=87464.msg1672688#msg1672688 date=1188249613]
[quote author=mrc link=topic=87464.msg1672670#msg1672670 date=1188249093]
[/quote]
So, basically, same thing I said. :slap:
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't really read your post. I said what I said because I have changed the oil in my car. Like you said, you have yet to do it. Technically, specs say 4.8 qts are enough but 5 qts can be held without problem. AutoZone will take up to 20 qts or 5 gallons of your used oil from a non-commercial source. This is a service they provide for free to customers. Your oil is not disposed of, it's recycled and AutoZone actually pays to have this service free for customers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Buy some inexpensive jack stands or ramps. Don't use cinder blocks, and for heaven's sake DON'T get under the car while it is supported by the factory jack.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Or if you have a curb in front of your house, pull it up with 2 tires on the sidewalk and 2 on the street. I do it all the time.

Since you're going with M1, just stick with regular M1. M1EP isn't worth the extra money.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=87464.msg1677289#msg1677289 date=1188409700]
Or if you have a curb in front of your house, pull it up with 2 tires on the sidewalk and 2 on the street. I do it all the time.

Since you're going with M1, just stick with regular M1. M1EP isn't worth the extra money.
[/quote]

Or, like us country folk do, pull over a ditch. Unfortunately for me, the ditch in front of my house is at an angle where I don't want all the car's weight on the outside of the rims.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=87464.msg1677289#msg1677289 date=1188409700]

[/quote]

I was thinking about doing the curb thing. Does it give you enough room to reach under there?

Also, does anybody have any experience with the new Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic that they are advertising now?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
[quote author=smallbigtall link=topic=87464.msg1679901#msg1679901 date=1188494609]

[/quote]

I was thinking about doing the curb thing. Does it give you enough room to reach under there?

Also, does anybody have any experience with the new Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic that they are advertising now?
[/quote]

Pennzoil Platinum has GREAT used oil analysis. It has been recommended by a lot of top tribologists. You can't go wrong with that oil.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, mrc. I'll probably get around to the oil change this weekend sometime.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=smallbigtall link=topic=87464.msg1679901#msg1679901 date=1188494609]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It gives you plenty of room. Also, PP is a great oil choice as well. You can't go wrong there!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished! Took me about 45 minutes for my first time, definitely not a bad job. Put in 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-20, with a Fram filter. I've heard that there are better filters out there, but I'll shop around for the next oil change.

I hope it's not leaking, I think I got everything in tight enough. Just put a piece of cardboard underneath to test it.

And, the best part is, I only came out with one cut and one blood blister, which I can probably avoid those next time.

I did, however, scratch my car in the works. Better me than some other chump who's getting paid.

Thanks for all the advice!

SBT

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
[quote author=smallbigtall link=topic=87464.msg1685249#msg1685249 date=1188767960]
Finished! Took me about 45 minutes for my first time, definitely not a bad job. Put in 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-20, with a Fram filter. I've heard that there are better filters out there, but I'll shop around for the next oil change.

I hope it's not leaking, I think I got everything in tight enough. Just put a piece of cardboard underneath to test it.

And, the best part is, I only came out with one cut and one blood blister, which I can probably avoid those next time.

I did, however, scratch my car in the works. Better me than some other chump who's getting paid.

Thanks for all the advice!

SBT
[/quote]

Where'd you scratch your car? Front bumper?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=87464.msg1690206#msg1690206 date=1188959371]
What lower engine cover? There's no cover on mine. I believe we have the same 06 I4 manual.
[/quote]

maybe it only came on the 07's i had a plastic cover that went from the radiator support all the way to the firewall. had to remove an access plate to get to the drain plug and the filter. it sucked bigtime.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, there was no cover on mine, so I can tell if it's leaking (which it's not).

And yes, the scratch was on the front bumper from the makeshift ramps I used to get up on the curb, before I figured out the best way to position them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i work at a jiffy lube and im no expert on oil but i only use mobil 1 5W-20. (i run it 4000 miles. mobil 1 is rated for 5000 miles)
never put penzoil in any car. the wax additives in it will sludge up your engine. same with quaker state.
and dont just buy some cheap fram filter. buy a mobil 1 or a k and n oil filter. it makes a difference in how long your oil stays clean.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
[quote author=A_bishop07 link=topic=87464.msg1693082#msg1693082 date=1189049999]
i work at a jiffy lube and im no expert on oil but i only use mobil 1 5W-20. (i run it 4000 miles. mobil 1 is rated for 5000 miles)
never put penzoil in any car. the wax additives in it will sludge up your engine. buy a mobil 1 or a k and n oil filter. it makes a difference in how long your oil stays clean.
[/quote]

You are right, you are no oil expert. Pennzoil makes quality oils and their Pennzoil Platinum synthetic is one of the best values on the market. There's plenty of actual research and data to prove this, not just speculation and 50-year old stories of "sludged up engines due to wax". ALL oils come from crude. Even group 3 synthetics (almost all store bought synthetics) are hydrocracked group 3 crude. Even your precious Mobil 1 uses a petroleum additive carrier to deliver the additive package. Most speculate that even Mobil 1 has switched from a PAO basestock to a Group 3. Your paraffin wax story is a tremendous urban legend.

For a real lesson in lubrication go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and hit the forums a bit. Pay particular attention to the used oil analysis section. Even the yellow bottle Pennzoil is a high quality conventional with a great additive pack.

Sure, you can buy a Mobil 1 filter or a K&N filter but why would you when you can buy quality filters for half the price? Again, you'd benefit greatly from a little research on the subject. Perhaps you can read some of the info on BITOG and take the knowledge to your job at Jiffy Lube. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts