FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you tell when your AC is out of Freon? Does it just start to blow hot air? Or does it start cold when you first start then gets hot?

I'm asking because the other day, when I started the car, I turned on the 'max a/c" and after blowing cold for a minute, it became warm. I wasn't sure what to think of it. So I turned it off for the moment and drove shortly. Then later on when I got in the car again, and turned it on, it was blowing hot. So I thought ok prolly needs freon so time to service it.

But the next time I got on the car, turned on the AC, it was blowing cold. And I drove for some time and it remained cold. For the next few times I drove, it always started cold. Few days later turned it back on and turned the AC on. Cold one minute, then became warm. So I'm confused. Could it be something else besides the freon? I can hear the compressor kick in. It's pretty hot out here lately, close to 100 these days. But I usually drive in the evening.

I'm thinking of taking it to the shop to service the A/C but not sure if I should wait and observe if it keeps blowing hot. The days it blows cold, it's continues to blow cold. When it blows hot, it usually becomes hot right after I turn the car on. Any clue?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sure, it's possible it's low on 134a and right near the low limit where the low pressure switch keeps the compressor from engaging. Need gauges to check this.

In my 2009, the 134a has UV dye additive in the system from the factory. If you have a UV light, you could check for leaks around any of the fittings.

It's also possible the Evap Temp Sensor buried in the dash is acting up and the PCM won't allow it to turn on.

I'd recommend finding a reputable AC shop for diagnostics, since the Fusion system is little more complex than older systems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, it's possible it's low on 134a and right near the low limit where the low pressure switch keeps the compressor from engaging. Need gauges to check this.

In my 2009, the 134a has UV dye additive in the system from the factory. If you have a UV light, you could check for leaks around any of the fittings.

It's also possible the Evap Temp Sensor buried in the dash is acting up and the PCM won't allow it to turn on.

I'd recommend finding a reputable AC shop for diagnostics, since the Fusion system is little more complex than older systems.
Well I stopped by Autozone and the rep there was nice enough to lend me one of their DIY Freon kits with a pressure gauge to test. And the PSI on the low end was between 25 & 35 PSI. So it had Freon in it. Also he helped me check for the compressor and the clutch. All seemed to be working and engaging.

So next he put the fans on HIGH and then turned the temp knob from cold to hot and it was blowing the exact same temp air.

So he believes that it could be the blend door actuator.

I'm taking it by a shop for diagnostics.

I also just checked one of the tutorials on the forum about replacing the blend door/air door actuator and I got the weekend to figure out if I can pry it out myself as I have appt on Monday.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where the actuator is? On another Fusion forum, they show it being UNDER the steering column. But that was for 2010 model. I'm wondering if it's the same for 2012 model. Anyways, I'll find out this weekend.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My 2007 MKZ had an issue with low freon. There was a small leak in a hose. It seemed to cool fairly well but over time the system just stopped working. Fan stopped working but would seem to reset itself somewhat if you turned off ignition and then restarted. It did not occur until sometime after continuous use - initially it took several hours and then finally within an hour so hard to reproduce.

It took several trips to the dealer to find out that it was low on freon (thought it was an electrical issue since it seemed to cool fine initially) and caused the evaporator to freeze up. This failure did not manifest it with any codes except they had replaced the blend doors were not working correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't been here for some time to post an update. But here is what happened: It's a problem with the actual turn knob to adjust the cooling level. If I set the cooling to the lowest level, the AC starts to blow heat. IF I turn it up just one click, it's fine. Really weird issue. But glad I figured it out. So if I need AC, I just set it to one level before the coldest and it works fine. Not sure how to go about fixing it but just left it that way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Could be the actuator. That is the problem I had. It would blow hot air on driver side and cold air on passenger side it was odd. Then nothing blew out on the vents but went to the defroster. I was like wtf. Took it to dealer and they said it was the actuator. Luckily I paid for extended warranty so a 1600 dollar job turned into a $50 job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this post is a couple years old now, but my 2012 fusion just started doing this exact same thing. If I turn my A/C on and get it to the farthest cold setting on the knob it blows hot, but if I just barely turn it upward it starts to get cool again.

Did you ever do anything to fix this, or have you just been dealing with the issue since? I don't see a reason to have it serviced for hundreds of dollars if it will keep working fine as long as I avoid the lowest setting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is it the manual system or the dual control automatic system?
If it is the manual system, I would suspect a bad blend door actuator.

If it is the dual control system, does it act the same on both sides?

If only one side is affected, it is probably a bad blend door actuator, if both sides it is likely a bad HVAC control module.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe mine is the manual system. I have the knob that ranges from 1-4 and the other knob that is cool/heat (blue/red). I assume the dual control is where you actually select a specific temp, which I do not have. If it is the blend door actuator, do you have any idea how much it typically costs to get replaced at a Ford dealer?

Edit: Attached image of what my console looks like, in case it helps.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts