FordFusionClub.com banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just changed my wifes fluid on her 2010 Milan. Used Mercon LV and she has only 25,000 miles.

Just drained the pan. Filled it up. Drove it a couple days and did it again. Cant even feel the shifts.
but I will admit these trannys do downshift werid. I hate it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey GUYS!
I am finally getting around to doing mine and notice that my T-IV dipstick is reading high (Above the second notch when hot)..?? :dur: I'm wondering why the preferred method is Painstakingly measuring instead of using dipstick?? I realize Tranny fluid expands goes higher when hot, but I think you could easily over or under re-Fill by following the EXACT what was shitted out method..?? Please advise - Thanks.!

·
Registered
682 Posts
[quote author=morgan2112 link=topic=82464.msg4125829#msg4125829 date=1317829724]
Hey GUYS!
I am finally getting around to doing mine and notice that my T-IV dipstick is reading high (Above the second notch when hot)..?? :dur: I'm wondering why the preferred method is Painstakingly measuring instead of using dipstick?? I realize Tranny fluid expands goes higher when hot, but I think you could easily over or under re-Fill by following the EXACT what was shitted out method..?? Please advise - Thanks.!
[/quote]

You are correct. No matter how carefully you measure, in the end, you need to confirm on the dipstick. Measuring as you go should get it close on the dipstick, but the dipstick in the end is what counts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Its pretty simple really, if the trans isnt leaking, and you replenish with exact amount take out then there is little question about whether the proper amount is in transmission. If it makes you feel any better, I am a Ford dealer technician and thats exactly what we do unless we are replacing trans or performing warrantly repairs, here is the ford procedure:

Fill the transaxle with approximately 3.7L (4 qt) of clean transmission fluid.
Install the transmission fluid fill plug.
Tighten to 39 Nm (29 lb-ft).

With the transaxle in (P) PARK, the vehicle should be on a level surface, the engine at idle (680-780 rpm), foot pressed on the brake, move the selector lever through each gear and allow engagement of each gear. Place the selector lever back in the PARK position.
Wipe the transmission fluid level indicator cap and remove the fluid level indicator.

Wipe the transmission fluid level indicator with a clean cloth.
NOTE: In order to get an accurate transmission fluid level reading, the vehicle should be on a level surface, the engine at idle (680-780 rpm) for 5 minutes and the transmission fluid temperature should be at least 60°C-70°C (140°F-158°F) using the scan tool.

If transmission fluid needs to be added, add transmission fluid in 0.25L (1/2 pint) increments through the transmission fluid fill plug located on the top of the transaxle near the transmission fluid level indicator. Do not overfill the transmission fluid. Install the transmission fluid level indicator back in the transmission fluid filler tube until it is fully seated, then remove the indicator. The transmission fluid level should be at the upper-most mark on the transmission fluid level indicator. Only fill to the upper-most mark on the transmission fluid indicator. Do not overfill. Damage to the transaxle will occur.
NOTE: The correct transmission fluid level at normal operating temperature of 60°C-70°C (140°F-158°F) is between the top 2 marks on the transmission fluid level indicator.

Fill the transaxle to the correct transmission fluid level.

NOTE: The correct transmission fluid level at cool operating temperature of 15°C-25°C (59°F-77°F), is at the bottom mark on the transmission fluid level indicator.

If the Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) is low, fill the transaxle with transmission fluid to the cold range on the transmission fluid level indicator. Recheck the transmission fluid level when the transaxle has reached the normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,
I'm somewhat curious, I've got an '06 Fusion SE V6 with the AW 6-Spd and want to do a flush on my own. The dealer here charged me $300 the last time I brought it in at ~60K...I now have 110K and I'm noticing it's just not shifting at all like it used to. Knowing these transmissions are almost $5K installed, I want to be careful but see no reason why someone who is handy with cars shouldn't be able to change the fluid themselves for a fraction of the cost. I guess my main question is...is it necessary to drop the pan and clean the magnet? Also, the fluid fill plug mentioned is on the pan I'm assuming...correct?

Also...is there a difference between Motorcraft Premium ATF and Toyota T-IV? I was looking at AMSoil but was told today I shouldn't use it even though when I read it, it looked to match up to spec.

Oh...and I saw a total price of ~$50 for fluid? Buying 16 qts at $8.00, which is what I was expecting to buy seems high...and I'm off on how much is needed?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
151 Posts
The proper way is to drop the pan and change the filter (dont know if these cars one) clean the magnet.
Fill it back up, drive it a couple 100 miles and do it again. That should get most of the old fluid out. Thats what I do on my Pontiac and Buick...

But dropping the pan on these cars I think is a little different and cant even find a pan gasket or filter for it. So I didnt want to try.

On my Wifes 2010 the plug is facing straight down in the pan. I thin it was a 11-12mm..
I used the new Motorcraft LV, but It think the older trans use something different unless LV is compatible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
[quote author=gopherdelt08 link=topic=82464.msg4129357#msg4129357 date=1318404981]

Also...is there a difference between Motorcraft Premium ATF and Toyota T-IV? I was looking at AMSoil but was told today I shouldn't use it even though when I read it, it looked to match up to spec. [/quote]No difference. Ford's uber-expensive fluid, Toyota's T-IV, and the Volvo and Mazda versions are all made and bottled by Mobil and are actually called 3309. Buy whichever one you can get easiest or cheapest.

If AMSOIL's fluid meets JWS3309, then it is suitable for use in your transaxle.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I just had mine done (full exchange at the Ford d/ship where I work) at 114,8XX.

Used the Motorcraft Premium. Wondering if the Dexron VI would have been sufficient?

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=Fox Fader link=topic=82464.msg4197974#msg4197974 date=1331265196]
I just had mine done (full exchange at the Ford d/ship where I work) at 114,8XX.

Used the Motorcraft Premium. Wondering if the Dexron VI would have been sufficient?
[/quote]

Hi Fox Fader. :wavey: The answer to that particular question is simple to find. In our Owners Manuals is a Maintenance and Specification chart listing the fluid specs (among other things). You take the spec listed in that chart and compare it to what specs that Dexron VI is certified as meeting. And since various model years use different fluid specs, you must check your Owners Manual, not take the word of anyone else.

If, and only if the Dexron VI is listed as meeting and/or exceeding the Ford spec in your Owners Manual, can it be used. "Recommended for use in..." and other similar statements is not the same.

While I am not sure (and am too lazy right now to download your Owners Manual and Dexron VI specs), my Internet guess is that is it not a suitable substitute.

Hope this information helps and good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree w/bbf2530.

Dexron VI is one of the new breed of "low viscosity" fluids, like Mercon LV. Mobil 3309 is not. Since 3309 is available at Toyota dealers (as T-IV) for a reasonable price, and since the fluid is so easy to drain and refill in this car, why would you want to use anything else?

·
Registered
16 Posts
08 Milan AWD here, can someone tell me if my understanding of drain and fill ATF is right?

1. Jack the car up, and loosen then drain plug let it drain.
2. collect whatever is drained and measure the volume, then plug back in the drain plug. (what procedure do I take for the drain plug, do I clean it with towel then brake cleaner, do I need some thread locker?)
3. lower the car and carefully add new ATF close to the amount that was drained, through the dipstick hole (or fill hole?)
4. start engine, and let it idle, while shift all gears
5. wait 5min~ until ATF is warm enough, check the level with dipstick (add until it reads between the max and min).

Drain plug is a 10mm hex bolt (or torx?). What tools do I need?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
drain and fill

I have been draining mine about every 15,000. I just do it when I have the car up on the ramps for an oil change. It's just a 10mm hex. I just take the bolt out and let it drain. Replace the bolt and refill through the dip stick tube. I'll add about 2 and 3/4 quarts before driving it off the ramps. I'll take it out for a drive to put about 10 miles on it and come back and park it. I leave it running and pull the stick. Then run it through the gears slowly and check the level. It has been taking right around 3 quarts every time I have been doing it. Been using Amsoil ATF.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just going to flush mine when it's not pink anymore. And I say flush instead of drain and fill because I would like the torque converter fluid to be flushed aswell.
Hmm, No "torque-converter(s) in an Aisin F21 trans! ... only electronic solenoids.

F21 is very famous for"harsh-shifts ... 6-4 and 4-2 as well as same gear upshift slippage.

Need to change the specific FoMoCo Motorcraft ATF "use specifically in the AW F21 6-speed transmission".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmm, No "torque-converter(s) in an Aisin F21 trans! ... only electronic solenoids.

F21 is very famous for"harsh-shifts ... 6-4 and 4-2 as well as same gear upshift slippage.

Need to change the specific FoMoCo Motorcraft ATF "use specifically in the AW F21 6-speed transmission".
The AWF21 has a torque converter, just like every other automatic transmission (that is actually a slushbox automatic and not a DCT or other). I found that Motorcraft specific fluid was about the same price as the equivalents from Toyota and Mobil since they shipped from the same place as some other items, and shipping wasn't much more adding them.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts