FordFusionClub.com banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
1st off hello everyone, new to this forum :)

New (used) owner here of a '07 fusion 3.0V6 SEL 6 speed aisin with 129K...and I must admit my first Ford that I can remember! But dam, when I got in... I was sold...nice car all-around.
I thought of doing my own drain and fill especially after a quick how to video I saw on youtube and the fact I could buy Mobile ATF 3309 (meets Fords' WSS-M2C924-A spec) for $29.99 CDN for 5L at Canadian Tire :shock:

When I saw my ATF was no longer nice and pink/red (more grey/blackish light pink, still translucent though) I started doing the math;

assuming 3, maybe 4L (max. approx. dry capacity is 7.0L/7.4 qts) comes out the drain plug, and I filled/ran/drained 3 times; I would still be leaving 10-14% of the old ATF/Dirt/sludge in the system.....considering my vehicles unknown history for the 1st 121K-> I went to a local Ford dealer to try a complete flush. My usual local mechanics shy'd away when they started hearing special fluid-dealer only :???:

It was funny though, because they kept trying to talk me out of the flush service, because my vehicle only had 129K on it?
I know it's than less the normal schedule of 150k, but even after explaining to him the off-colour of the ATF, he re-iterated that was normal for these transmissions??

I admired their tenacity to turn away business and protect my wallet...only in Canada!

Anways, having there tech allow me to watch what he did...really put my mind at ease and he did what he said he would!

-BG cleaning additive into the Tranny 1st->ran the car for 5min, while moving the shift lever.
-Flushed the clean side of the bladder with 1 L of the special ATF fluid, then hooked up the 'bladder based' flush unit to the IN/Out lines to the tranny cooler/tranny.
-proceeded to dump 16L (YES, 16L!!) of ATF into this machine then started my car.
- In (2) sight glasses you could see the old-dark-dirty ATF flowing out->New nice red ATF flowing in.
-If I had to guess it was probably around 13-15 litres, before the ATF was the same colour in both sight glasses...wow!...but he continued till the machine ran out of ATF.
-Disconnect everything...added a small can of BG conditioner....then topped it up with ATF., started and checked again.

Later I disconnected the battery (decided to change the plugs to proper motorcraft ones at the same time), then re-trained both computers to my preferred driving style.

All I can say...yeah it cost me $288 (including 13% tax).....but this ride is now silky smooth on the shifts .... and I won't have to worry for another 150K!(or till I see it get dirty again :()

Ford's tech was great...but if I had to spend this money every 30-50K...I would probably try the you tube method I saw which would flush the torque converter as well. But i would use the outlet from the cooler, not the inlet hose.
10 Min Atomatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement (Most Cars)

Good luck in whatever method you chose!
Rudy

·
Registered
140 Posts
In order to backflush the filter screen you would have to pump it out an inlet.
The outlet of the cooler would still be flowing the normal direction.
Or maybe I'm missing something, which could very well be the case.

Fact of the matter is, seems like noboby really recommends or wants to
flush & fill these Aisan trannies.

The longer I wait the less I worry about it, it seems. Can't imagine I will
have the car long enough to worry about tranny failure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Correct GTPpilot! The '07 Aisin 6 speed's major flaw (advantage?) is, it does NOT have a filter of any kind! Not sure though if the plug is magnetic or not; Ford tech said it wasn't.

So take the outlet hose from the Tranny cooler to the Inlet of the 'dirty' side of the 'Bladder Engine flush unit.

The dealerships 'GB' unit worked well, as it has a internal bladder that keeps the clean and dirty ATF separated.

So to complete the loop take the 'clean ATF outlet from the machine to the Tranny 'Inlet'.

And run the engine to pump out the old->In with the new.
Your right though, even the dealership does not do a true 'backflush', as you are using the Tranny to pump the fluid in the normal flow direction.

I guess this is why they recommended (sucker , I know :oops:) the additive package; cleaner before the flush and a conditioner/life extender with the final top up.

All I can say, after 3 days of driving, the shifts are smooth and hardly noticeable compared to before the service.

My $0.02 CDN

R

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's actually a great idea, thanks Big Jim. I knew you could get an external tranny cooler, but not filters :oops:
Have you or anyone on the forum had any experience with installing one? would it be a difficult do-it-yourself job?
Any recommendations as to Brand/model that works well and fits easily would be appreciated??
Thanks,
Rej

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello All,

I am having slight shift concerns with my 06' Fusion. I have a 133,000 miles on it and drive it pretty hard and thought about doing a fluid change but was wondering if I do the fluid change could I or should I put a trans additive in like Lucas, Marvel Mystery, Sea Foam, or something along those lines. Any help would be great, this post has already been a big help but would really like to know about additives.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
140 Posts
[quote author=Rej link=topic=82464.msg3830649#msg3830649 date=1287359956]
Correct GTPpilot!

[/quote]

Ah ok thanks for the additional info. I got it now. Pretty cool !!

·
Registered
37 Posts
[quote author=hdd link=topic=82464.msg3835981#msg3835981 date=1287726110]
And here is a reference that indicates how much fluid gets drained:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1901950#Post1901950
The F21 takes just under 4 quarts for a drain & fill and DOES have a drain plug.
[/quote]

Oh my God!! Thank You HDD, You have restored my faith in the human Race! :Yes: :koolaid:
I was really beginning to worry.
I'll report back when I finally do my drain & fill.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get a clean one gallon jug and put all of your tranny drain in it ,mark it and pour it out. Fill it to the lline with clean fluid keeping track of how much you put in. My 2006 Milan took exactly 3 qt 22 ozs with the front wheels 3 and 1/2 inches off the ground.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Empire 3 Quarts 22 oz.
I report back when I do mine.
BTW, What fluid did you use.
I think I am going to go with the universal AMSOil. I found gallon jugs at NAPA for $32 as I Remember.

·
Registered
16 Posts
morgan2112, I've done 3 drain & fills on my niece's '06 and it takes just under 4 quarts. I've been using T-IV as the Toyota dealer charges about half what Ford does for their version of 3309. It comes out dark-ish at 30,000 miles, but not burnt or contaminated looking. There's no way in Hell I would go Ford's 120,000 mile recommendation. :shock:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey all, just wanted to add some input on this topic. I'm a Ford tech, and we sell the BG services at our dealership. I trust BG completely, I actually run their Universal Synthetic ATF in my car, 06 Fusion, 6 speed Aisin tranny with 112k miles. I would highly recommend that you guys get a complete flush instead of just doing a drain and fill, when you drain the transmission, you only get out about half of the actual old fluid out, so you really don't accomplish anything.

As for the fluid, it actually is a characteristic of that particular fluid (Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, XT-8-QAW) to become dark alot faster than other fluids.

Ford also makes a special backflushing tool, it uses heated ATF (whichever fluid your vehicle uses), and hooks in the cooler lines, reverse of what normal flow would be, and the machine creates a pulsing action to break loose any contaminates.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey JB06.... I agree whole heartily with you, that's why I went to our local Ford dealership here in Ontario and had a complete flush/fill (they used 16 litres! of the ford fluid) on my Aisin 6 speed (07 fusion). They had a BG Bladder machine ( I don't think it was reverse-flow like you mentioned with the Ford tool)...but it seemed to work great and they used the BG additives.

Question to you being a Ford tech... Is there actually a filter in these Tranny's??
I hear conflicting reports about this and even two breakdowns I've seen show the filter being in the AF21 & AF40, but the other breakdown only specifies it on the AF40 tranny? Who is right??

Also, what would 'you' recommend for the change Interval (using the Ford fluid, which I gather is not a full synthetic) in regular driving, about 50/50 city/highway and around 30,000 Km a year??

Appreciate any feedback you may have to offer.

Rudy

·
Registered
140 Posts
JB06 I agree you are probably ok to use the BG universal fluid, but has Ford officially or unofficially said it's ok to use it ? Has BG said it meets the ford spec ?

Thanks for the info. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it's BG in my transmission now. I have no idea what they put in my car when I bought with 72k miles on it. 123k now so I guess I would know by now if their was a problem.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just did another oil change on my friends '09 V6 Fusion (semi-syn 5W20/Purolator). I looked at the trans and located the drain plug and fill plug. Are these Torx head bolts and if so what size are they?

41 - 60 of 95 Posts