FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the 6000K 55W HID kit from Xenon Expert. Is 55W too bright? Does anyone have a 55W kit installed? I've tried looking all over, but haven't found anyone mentioning the 55W kits.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't think anyone here has the 55w kit, I might be wrong. I bought the 35w kit, have yet to install it though. I believe on the site the 55w kit says "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY"..

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
840 Posts
im tempted to get the 50/55w kit since i wanna get my headlights tinted. this way, i wouldn't lose nearly as much light output.

ideas?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Guys,

I think the best person to answer your question would be to send an e-mail to Xenon Expert and ask how much light output (usually in Lumens) does the 55W kit produce compared to the 35W kit. Just guessing, I think the 55W kit is going to produce a lot more glare to oncoming traffic. Maybe you could also ask if the 55W kit doesn't work out if you can exchange it for the 35W kit.

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
215 Posts
The 55w kit is BRIGHT! I recently installed a 5000K in my foglights in addition to my 35w 5000K lows. Eventhough 1 of the bulbs doesn't work (need to exchange it), it is too bright for lowbeams. I do have the opportunity to turn off my fogs at a push of a button, so I'm keeping them in. 1 of my 55w bulbs is almost as bright as both of my 35's. You'll be pissing people off and getting pulled over a lot with the 55's in your lowbeams for sure.

·
Registered
840 Posts
im getting a 55w kit for my low beams ;D but then again, i'll have projectors for them ;D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got a milan, so mine are in projectors :koolaid:

·
Registered
596 Posts
just a heads up guys... 55watt might melt some things ;) the dealer won't be too happy about that. Not to mention the extra attention from other drivers (cops included) who will then be noticing your tinted headlights as well which are pretty damn illegal. Best of luck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The difference between stock H11 bulbs at 1200 lumens, and 35W HIDs at ~3000-3200 lumens is already night and day. You're more than doubling light output PER BULB!
It's 4x the amount of light of the stockers. A Light-smoke tint will not reduce light output to the point where you'd be less than stock. You would have to have a tint of LESS than 40% light transmission to bring the light output back to stock levels.

Go 35W.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, the 55 Watt kit could melt your head light ballast. In my old e36 bmw, I installed a 55 Watt kit as everyone told me it would not through an error code on the car, after a few months, I looked and sure enough the inside of the fog lights had melted out a little bit, nothing bad, but melted non the less.

I ended up putting some 35Watt 6k's and they were more than bright enough. To get rid of the error code, I just had to modify it with a resistor.

Anyway, if you guys are looking for a good quality HID kit, at a low price, look for a company called Mikrouna-USA. I have them on both of my current cars.

Anyway, good luck with the mod

- Ernie.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought the 55 watt kit came with relays to prevent overloading the stock wiring. Also, as a point of reference, what is the combined light output of the standard low beams and light output of high beams? If you had the 55 W kit and you tipped your pattern down slightly wouldn't that help as well?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Using the Halogen bulb ratings:
Low beams [h11 55w] 1200 lumens x2 = 2400 lumens
Hi beams [h9 65w] 2100 lumens x2 = 4200 lumens.

Total light output per headlight housing is [one H11 & one H9] 120W at 3300 lumens, (or about the same amount of light as one 35W HID low-beam of around 5,000K color temperature)
Total light output per car (both headlights, both bulbs) = 6600 lumens

They may not run at the same temperature, though. The HIDs may run hotter than the stock H11 bulb, which may not cause a problem until you run both your HID low-beam and H9 high-beam at the same time for an extended period of time. Will it melt? Probably not, but if you live in Arizona in the summer and have both beams on, maybe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote author=seawolf link=topic=89769.msg1817545#msg1817545 date=1193688096]
They may not run at the same temperature, though. The HIDs may run hotter than the stock H11 bulb, which may not cause a problem until you run both your HID low-beam and H9 high-beam at the same time for an extended period of time. Will it melt? Probably not, but if you live in Arizona in the summer and have both beams on, maybe.

[/quote]

I actually thought the HID's run cooler than the stock halogen. Is this not correct?

·
Registered
584 Posts
They are hard to compare, being apples and oranges, as a 35W HID puts out more light than a 55W or 65W Halogen...but the surface area of the light source is larger. Just because it is lower wattage, does not mean it is lower heat. The 35W HID bulb is drawing 35W into the ballast, which converts the 12-14V at 35W from the car battery to around 23,000 volts at 85W or power inside the ballast!

I have not seen a true temperature test of a HID bulb. I have heard rumors that a 35W HID lamp "may run 1-3 degrees cooler than a Halogen bulb", but what wattage of Halogen bulb were they testing? 100W? If anyone out there has HIDs and an infrared heat probe, I'd love to see some concrete results.

I'm just saying, since we don't know, be careful, especially with 55W HIDs.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi MidMich,

There are many sources on the net showing that 35W HID's run cooler than stock hologen bulbs. Since I am interested in a 35W kit for my car, I never investigated what the temperature of a 55W HID kit is. Logically it is higher than a 35W kit but what the difference is exactly, can be found on the net.

You mentioned about adjusting the headlight assembly downward to help reduce the glare and overwhelming brightness of a 55W kit but wouldn't that contradict the purpose of a 55W kit. With a 55W kit you get lights that are much brighter and can project further down the road but with your proposed adjustments, you will probably get the same results as installing a 35W kit and not having to worry about adjusting the headlights at such a downward angle.

It's too bad the company won't let you try both kits to see what the difference really is when installed on the car.

Good luck with the project!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts