I received my 5000K Apexcone kit the other day, and I just thought I'd write a quick review to describe what I thought of the kit and the installation procedure on a Fusion.
I decided to go with a high quality kit instead of the cheap kits on Ebay that burn out in 2 months. I bought the kit from www.xenonexpert.com
. Their pricing is excellent, the quality is first rate, but the most important aspect is that the service is top notch. The kit carries a lifetime warranty
I dealt with Oliver from the beginning. He helped me with my decision, the ordering process, and also walked me through the installation, which I now pass on to you.
First and foremost, the kit is plug and play, meaning no soldering, cutting, or splicing of wires is necessary. Total install time was about 30 minutes, but I will break it down for those of you who just have no clue.
Here's the kit from the xenonexpert website
1. Disconnect power from the car battery.
Driver Side Installation...
2. Unbolt the 8mm screw that holds the washer filler neck, and move the filler neck out of the way to gain access to the headlight.
3. Remove the stock halogen bulb
a) Peel the rubber dust cap off the back of the headlight
b) Turn the bulb assembly counterclockwise and pull the bulb out
c) Disconnect the connector and set the bulb aside.
4. Carefully install the HID bulb (CAREFUL not to touch the glass with your fingers)
5. Mount the Ballast
a) I chose to use the double sided tape that came with the kit instead of mounting screws. The tape is more than strong enough because of the huge surface area of the ballast and mounting location. Mount the ballast to the flat sheet metal area next to the headlight.
6. Connect the connectors supplied from the ballast to the bulb. This step is self explanatory as the connectors only fit a certain way. I'll include a pic nonetheless, heh
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
7. Connect the red and black wires from the ballast to the OEM headlight harness. Insert the pins into the harness until you feel a little click. The positive (red) wire connects to the green (with brown stripes). Then do the negative side (black to black).
Use some electrical tape to cover the connection
8. Cut a tiny slit into the dust cap so that the wires can still come out and place the dust cap back onto the lamp assembly.
That's it for the driver's side! Make sure to bolt the washer filler neck back down.
Passenger Side Installation
2. Remove the air silencer by simply pulling it off the airbox. I did this to improve the sound of acceleration as well (so you can just leave it off 8) ).
3. Unclip the rubber shield behind the headlight and move it out of the way
The result should look like this before you proceed.
4. Replace the halogen bulb with the HID bulb via the same procedure as the driver side
5. Mount the ballast in the same location as the driver side.
6. Connect the wires in the same manner as the driver side.
7. Cut a slit in the dust cap and install it back onto the lamp assembly. The end product should look like this:
8. Replace the rubber shield by clipping it back. Also, replace the air silencer (if you choose to).
And now onto the results!
And now some random pics
Overall, I am extremely pleased with this kit. The lighting is awesome compared to stock. I re-aimed the headlights after the install so that it wouldn't blind oncoming drivers, and to make sure of this, I made my girlfriend park 200 ft away to tell me if it was too bright. I love the 5000K color. It is bright white and will hint blue at certain angles. The install was a breeze, and I know that if there are ever any problems, it is covered under warranty for life. If you're considering HID's, do yourself a favor and skip the cheaper ebay kits. This kit is worth every penny.
There are other kits on their website as well to suit your specific needs. The prices are great at each level, and you can count on them for customer service.