FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 2007 milan with the 5-speed manual.my question is this,the idle seems to be 750rpm once warmed up.the dealership states this is normal.it has not affected gas mileage in the least,as i constantly average between 22-24 in stop& go city driving,and almost 36 mpg on the highway.

any advice or comment will be helpful.

also,i have read a lot of comments posted by the owners,and i must say,i am really surprised.i bought my car,traded down from an suv,and am quite happy with it so far.i am also aware of the body panels/gaps,but as stated by another memebr,i have seen quite a few on much more expensive cars too.i have the base milan,and alsoread that someone was ooking to install an alrm,but mine came with one from the factory.the performance is great,and the mileage is even better.i would,however,like to know how often ishould have the oil changed.the dealership says every 5000 miles.i'm an average driver,and drive around 500-600 miles per month.any help would be great.also,would like to find a place where i can get really inexpensive alloy wheels,16-inch.i live in virginia beach,and already get a lot of compliments on my vivid red milan with the spoiler.also,need help with tire pressure.the door says 34psi,th dealer says 32psi,but 30psi seems to give a much smoother ride.please advise...

thanks, herb

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=herbsmilan link=topic=95694.msg1878468#msg1878468 date=1196116663]

i own a 2007 milan with the 5-speed manual.my question is this,the idle seems to be 750rpm once warmed up.the dealership states this is normal.it has not affected gas mileage in the least,as i constantly average between 22-24 in stop& go city driving,and almost 36 mpg on the highway.

any advice or comment will be helpful.

also,i have read a lot of comments posted by the owners,and i must say,i am really surprised.i bought my car,traded down from an suv,and am quite happy with it so far.i am also aware of the body panels/gaps,but as stated by another memebr,i have seen quite a few on much more expensive cars too.i have the base milan,and alsoread that someone was ooking to install an alrm,but mine came with one from the factory.the performance is great,and the mileage is even better.i would,however,like to know how often ishould have the oil changed.the dealership says every 5000 miles.i'm an average driver,and drive around 500-600 miles per month.any help would be great.also,would like to find a place where i can get really inexpensive alloy wheels,16-inch.i live in virginia beach,and already get a lot of compliments on my vivid red milan with the spoiler.also,need help with tire pressure.the door says 34psi,th dealer says 32psi,but 30psi seems to give a much smoother ride.please advise...

thanks, herb
[/quote]

Hi Herb. :wavey: Congratulations on the new Milan.

Okay, as to your questions, here we go:
Yes, your idle is normal.
Yes, the "recommended" oil change interval is every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. You should also rotate your tires every 5,000 miles.
As to the tire pressure, I would advise you go with what the recommended pressure is on the door, 34 psi. It is the best compromise between ride, handling, comfort, tire wear and fuel economy. I would never suggest going lower than the recommended psi, as you stand a better chance of accelerated tire wear, lower fuel mileages and increased chance of tire failure. As a matter of fact, it is better if you were to go 2-3 psi higher than the recommended, as you will barely notice any change in ride comfort, but you will see better handling, tire wear and gas mileage.

I have a Lincoln MKZ, which has a recommended pressure of 34 psi also, and I use a good quality pressure gauge and inflate to 36 psi.

Remember this rule of thumb. When in doubt, you can't go wrong if you follow the recommendations of the people who built the car, put the stickers on it and printed the Owners Manual.

Anyway, hope this information is helpful.

Good luck with your new Milan! :cheers:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I agree with bbf2530, I run higher then recommended, around 37 for me. This idle is fine. I have the auto tranny and run 750 neutral, and about 670 in gear.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What Milan wheels do you have? If you've got the 17", I'll trade you my 16" alloy from the Fusion...

·
Registered
476 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=95694.msg1878643#msg1878643 date=1196120573]

Remember this rule of thumb. When in doubt, you can't go wrong if you follow the recommendations of the people who built the car, put the stickers on it and printed the Owners Manual.

[/quote]

Ahem, 1 word. Explorer.

I run 35 lbs on all 4 tires. On my old Mazda B-3000 (Ranger) I ran 40 PSI in the BFG ATS I had on it.

I dont trust Ford recommendation on tire pressure much.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
[quote author=jaydez link=topic=95694.msg1878754#msg1878754 date=1196123771]
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=95694.msg1878643#msg1878643 date=1196120573]

[/quote]

Ahem, 1 word. Explorer.

I run 35 lbs on all 4 tires. On my old Mazda B-3000 (Ranger) I ran 40 PSI in the BFG ATS I had on it.

I dont trust Ford recommendation on tire pressure much.
[/quote]

Hi jaydez. :wavey: Ahem, bunch of words. :lmao: The Explorer problems were caused by a combination of marginally defective Firestone tires, and people neglecting to maintain even the minimum recommended tire pressure. It had nothing to do with the Ford recommended tire pressure being too low.

Unfortunately, the way the legal system often works, Ford was dragged into the lawsuits for several reasons:
1 - While they did not manufacture the defective tires, they did put them on their cars.
2 - The average bumbling driver nowadays doesn't even bother to do the minimum routine maintenance on their vehicle, then wants to sue anyone and everyone when something goes wrong. And no, I am not calling anyone here bumbling. I consider the average automobile enthusiast (like those of us on Forums such as this) to be above the norm, due to our interest in our vehicles.
3 - The current American way: Sue everyone, especially those with the deepest pockets, even if it wasn't their fault. After all, it is my right to get rich for no reason other than the fact that I did something dumb, :bash: right? Some quick examples: Sue McDonalds if I spill my hot coffee in my lap and get burned due to my own stupidity, or mandate by law that safety stickers be put on anything and everything to protect us from the stupidity of the lowest common denominator out there.

Sorry for the rant, :blah: but again, if those Explorer owners/drivers had maintained the recommended inflation, and checked their tires for wear as we all should, there would have been no Firestone tire fiasco.

Good luck. :cheers:

PS - Please understand this was all written in good humor, not in an attempt to start an argument or debate. :hug:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I again have to agree with bbf2530 on this. Basic maintenance people. Also have your vehicle inspected at least once a year(or before long trips), specifically your brakes.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Nasser era FoMoCo = :crazy: :dur:
Mulally era FoMoCo = :irock: :cheers:

Reading the owners manual is a very helpful reference to your valuable investment. Congrats on the Milan, and I hope you love it. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
30 psi = dangerously close to the mimium load required for the heavier CD3s, though probably ok for an I4 manual.
32 psi = the pressure Ford would have recommended if it weren't for fuel economy
34 psi = best compromise of fuel economy with other attributes
36 psi = bad for ride and steering (especially on the Contis) but better milleage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I change my oil once a month whether I need it or not...

But i average 2000-4000 miles per month so yippy!

Heck, it's been 3 weeks since I bought my Milan (purt near exactly the same as yours, basemodel 4banger 5speed but has the upgraded wheels). I bought it with 36 miles, tonight pulling into driveway from work I was at 3380ish. I probably wont hit 5k before 1 month of ownership, but it will be close as I'm going to Nashville (from Cincinatti) to see the Chargers play in 2 weeks (that's about 700 miles).

yea. I drive WAY too much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts