FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, wanted to do a little more to the Fusion, figured I'd check MSD's website. I wam wondering if hte MSD stacker 4 or 8 will work with our cars or what ignition system does, also if we can replace the ford coil ons with msd's new ones. Just looking to s pend a little money and try something new. Anybody running MSD>

[email protected]
Brett

·
Registered
440 Posts
To be honest with you, we have checked performance coils on the dyno before on rangers and F150s, with absolutely no gains at all. I mean nothing. No mpg, no more power, etc. The ignition systems today are so far advanced, that there is very little to be improved, unless youre running HIGH boost. Believe me, if they were worth a crap, I'd sell them and tell you to buy one from me!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
[quote author=Bob Jusnes link=topic=66088.msg1133058#msg1133058 date=1167939799]
To be honest with you, we have checked performance coils on the dyno before on rangers and F150s, with absolutely no gains at all. I mean nothing. No mpg, no more power, etc. The ignition systems today are so far advanced, that there is very little to be improved, unless youre running HIGH boost. Believe me, if they were worth a crap, I'd sell them and tell you to buy one from me!!
[/quote]

thanks for the honest opinion and information, that combined with MSD building alot of crap now as well, owners of the SRT4 (my last car) forums had tons of msd coil failures , their coils performed much worse than stock and had terrible reliability, but they looked pretty. They're all made in China crap now as well, pretty sad from a company such as MSD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me ask this questoin, does the magnaflow catback addd hp or is it maily for looks and sound. Im in the process of boring my throttle body out, I havn'et started it but got it off. I'm doing little odds and ends,

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET A 180 DEGREE THERMOSTAT OR A PART # for the 3.0 V6? THANKS!

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Magnaflow catback is mainly for sound. The real restriction in these cars is in the exhaust manifolds, so without adding headers a catback won't give you any noticeable power increase.

Why do you want a lower temp stat? All that is gonna do is make the engine run a little rich, and decrease your fuel mileage. Your best bang for the buck performance part is gonna be a tuner. I'm running the 93Torque tune from Bamachips, and it's a pretty big improvement over stock.

·
Registered
799 Posts
hwm3,

I think 180 is well above the threshold of the ECU going rich. I installed a Stant 180 t-stat in my '99 ZX2 and the MPG didn't drop.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There is no reason to drop to a 180 tstat in a computer controlled fuel injected vehicle. Their optimal operating temperature is 195 degrees farenheit, making it run cooler than that wont help anything at all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
^ This guy knows his stuff.

When you're modding an engine, think of it as a drinking straw with pinches in it. You need to know where those pinches are to get more air through....all and engine is is an air pump. There's no sense in opening up a part where is not much restriction when there is a "pinch" further up the pipe.

That said, there's nothing wrong with trying to get a better sounding car, but don't think you're going to have a 400hp monster with an exhaust/intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a tuner and there is a big reason to lower temps even steeda agreed. These dual overhead cam motors run extremely hot and I do not want my temps over 200 degrees, the way the thermostat opens and with stock fan control, your engine is usually over 195. I did the same thing on my 03 mustang gt, if you tune for it you get more performance Anyways by adjusting fan settings and thermostat I think we can gain more from my near future tune. As far as magnaflow I'll probably pass then, seems alot of money for little gain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts