FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, as I have stated in a previous thread I had just received my headlights from TLF and right away I am looking at some possible issues. I have no wiring guide and the website went down before my headlights had arrived ($1700).
From what I understood the 2G headlights were supposed to be true mondeo oem headlights modified to fit in north American fusions.
I have had problems with aftermarket LEDs strips and halos burning out in my current headlights so I thought, "great, these LED strips will be OEM so they should last forever". What I got from TLF appeared to be completely aftermarket insides. ANYWAYS, what I thought I was getting in the mail were bi-xenon HID/projectors and OEM led strip/chase turn signals. I can't verify this now as the website is completely down. From the looks of these lights I am worried:
1. I will have no highbeam functionality at all and
2. I am unsure if I am maybe missing some resistors or driver for the turn signals or maybe perhaps that is built inside the headlight housing.
3. There is an extra connector penetrating one of the headlight gasket where-as in the other; it is still inside the gasket... I don't know what the extra connector/wires are for

WHAT I KNOW/ WHAT I THINK I KNOW:
1. The HID is just low beam HID with only the functionality of turning off and on with the supplied HID ballast and connectors.
2. The red wire is for the LED strip/turn light to wire into fuse (Unsure how it will know how to switch from white LED strip to chase light amber signal)
3.I have no High beam functionality due to disconnected highbeam connector being used for something else???
PICS:
Left headlight:

Right Headlight:

Back of Left headlight showing HID Connector cable, Red cable and unknown cable with jumper attached coming out of gasket.

This image shows the same view of the right headlight, only it is missing that extra cable

BUT if I pop open that gasket on the right headlight there is that same cable hidden inside the housing without that extra jumper attached.

If I open the gasket that contains the highbeams on both lights it looks like they had disconnected the highbeam connector and spliced on some wires for some other purpose (Maybe it was for HID high beam functionality?)

Here is an image of the HID ballast/igniter and a red cable that I assume connects to the red wires on the headlights (to fuse?). Judging by the setup of the ballast it looks like I can only use low beams (Only one OEM two wire input connector on ballast). Once again, there is no external driver or resistors provided for the LED/chase lights

Any thoughts? Maybe someone that had this same order know what I am dealing with/missing something?
EDIT: After thinking about this last night after I made my post I think that that extra connector on the one headlight connects to the connector on the Morimoto ballast labeled "oem input" and maybe that will tell the ballast to turn on to high Beam or low beam? The two fit together.

·
Registered
420 Posts
they most likly re-wired your highbeams because they have cancelled the housing and switched your projectors to BI-XENON so you have high and low on the same bulb and projector now. im guessing they used a projector similar to or even in fact exactly the EVOX-R projector, which comes with both modes in a single bulb. could also be what the extra jump wire is too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I am looking at the wiring diagram for evo-x r. It looks like everything may be in place here after all. I am going to have to shell out some money for a real good installer now.
Edit: I am a little worried again because there is no Morimoto bi-xenon HID system on the Web page that looks like the one I received. the closest mine looks like is like one of these https://www.theretrofitsource.com/catalog/product/view/id/47750/s/morimoto-elite-hid-system-h1/category/7/
and the bulb says xbh1 on the website it doesn't appear to be bi-xenon
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/morimoto-xb35-h1-bulbs.html
I really hope they didn't scam me $1700 and pull out of business just in time.
After googling a bit I found one webpage that actually worked on tlf and it was for the same headlight I ordered. http://www.thelightingfirm.net/product/2g-fusion-mondeo-special-edition-headlights/
OK so the website didn't say bixenon bulbs just bixenon projectors. With d2s bulbs (are h1 considered d2s?) is 3500 lumens bright enough to act as highbeams?

·
Registered
420 Posts
h1 is kinda like saying a pontiac g5 needs a 9003 bulb. or our fusions need h11 bulbs. D2S is a different class of locking for the back of the bulb. HID projectors take D2S bulbs only. There is good reason why they closed shop, hundreds of angry customers with shoddy work done to their lights, paying full price for brand new lights and getting refurbished lights from the father company..

I would try some fishing though, it is really easy to google up local hid installer shops, most times you just tell them that you bought some new headlights and cant figure out how to wire them up. A lot of the time they are stand up guys and will ask you to come in so they can take a look and just walk you through setting them up so you don't have to pay anything. Or just charge you like 50$ for a quick job. HID's are all plug n play which makes the job that much quicker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah I'll find an HID installer I just wanted to have a good idea myself what I was looking at before going to a shop. I've taken a real good look at my clear projector, the Oval back, the lamp, ballast, XBH1 lamp, solenoid. I am 99% sure they went and bought this kit https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/application-specific/morimoto-retro-quik-system-spec-d.htm
Or this one https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/universal-kits/bi-xenon-matchbox-fog-light-stage-3-kit-h1.html
Which is actually made for fogs!
Thsee are the cheapest ones opposed to the D2S system I was supposed to get. I guess it will still work the last thing to check (and I'll have to check at an installer) is if they really did install the mondeo drl with integrated switchback and the mondeo sequential turn signal; the whole reason I bought this. (and judging on how they look on YouTube videos it looks like I am missing the mondeo sequential leds entirely) I really really hope they didn't cheap out on that is it even possible to get a refund now? Very rarely do I spend that much money on anything, and after dealing with a shady car custom shop in my city I saw tlf as a Godsend. It feels pretty bad to be screwed over again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts