FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Its time for new tires on my 2013 Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost AWD. It has the original 18 inch rim with 235/45 tires. I found a local store offering Yokohama S-Drive 255/45R18 for a very good price, but im not sure if it will fit properly.

The rim specification is 8Jx18 ET55. I have checked the tire specs on Yokohama's website and it says:

RIM WIDTH (MEAS) 8.5
RIM WIDTH (APPR) 8 - 9.5

Also, i used the tool from wheel-size.com website to calculate the deviation from the standard tire:

- Circumference will be increased by 2.7%
- Suspension: tire is 10 mm closer to suspension components. Acceptable for most cars.
- Fenders: Tire will stick out 10 mm farther. Acceptable for most cars

Also, i have searched on this forum to check if the 255 width will cause rubbering, but just found cases with bigger rim diameter/width.

Do you guys think it will work properly?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
late reply July 2019

nobody responded to this post in a couple of years but I think it is a valid question regarding upgrading the tires on your vehicle so I'm going to chime in. In the past, I've used tire od dimensions and the tire manufacturers recommendations for rim width to choose tires for my cars that weren't the oem standard size. A half inch or inch wider rim than stock will help the tire footprint and handling.The tire od can be a few percent over the standard tire od without affecting your speedometer and odometer readings. I forget the exact percentage but somebody here may know it or it is probably on the web. My experience is that oem tires are compromises and you can do better researching aftermarket when the stockers wear out.

·
Super Moderator
5,720 Posts
nobody responded to this post in a couple of years but I think it is a valid question regarding upgrading the tires on your vehicle so I'm going to chime in. In the past, I've used tire od dimensions and the tire manufacturers recommendations for rim width to choose tires for my cars that weren't the oem standard size. A half inch or inch wider rim than stock will help the tire footprint and handling.The tire od can be a few percent over the standard tire od without affecting your speedometer and odometer readings. I forget the exact percentage but somebody here may know it or it is probably on the web. My experience is that oem tires are compromises and you can do better researching aftermarket when the stockers wear out.

Hi tg66577. There are several pinned threads at the top of this "Wheels/Tires" sub-forum concerning wheel/tire sizing for the first and second generation Fusion. A lot of good information in those pinned threads. A 255 tire would begin to have rubbing issues.

Concerning changes in overall diameter affecting the odometer and speedometer: Any change in the overall diameter will affect the accuracy of the odometer/speedometer. However, it all comes down to personal preference as to how much of a odometer/speedometer error a vehicle owner is willing to accept.

As far as nobody responding here: Unfortunately, the Ford Fusion Club has seen a large drop off in member participation, as you can see by the scarcity of recent posts and replies.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi bbf2530, I had to replace the tires on my 2006 GM Canyon pickup a couple of years ago when I purchased it. Doing the research for a replacement tire on TireRack.com, their recommendations were for offroad type tires and my truck was a factory lowered ZQ8 model. This old truck had GM 8"x17" wheels and 245/45x17 Cooper RS3 tires. Continental was the oem fitment as I recall but I don't recall the style tire which came from the factory. Anyway, I looked up the OD measurement of the factory tire and then measured the worn out tires that came on this truck and arrived at a good close number like 26.3". I then went to TireRack's web site and picked a sporty street tire with this OD and tire size. There were a number of choices so I picked the best as far as price, manufacturer, speed range, tread pattern and so on. Worked like a charm until I realized too late that my replacement tires were W speed rated and the oem tires were like S or T. Those W speed tires are stiff and don't contribute to a comfortable ride on the road! Handles great though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts