FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading old posts with the search feature for an hour.
I can't seem to find this specific answer.
Has anyone actually TRIED a 235/50/18 to see if it actually rubs?

One reason I ask is I worked as a designer for Ford, 29 years. When we designed tire clearance envelopes we always had tire chains on the tires. This made the tires higher and wider. The envelopes were designed using the tallest widest tires that particular came with. An Envelope is the physical size any part of the tire could be at any part of suspension travel and turning capability.
The 1.3" tall difference is about 5/8" higher off the rim (radius). Remember radius is half the diameter.
The 10mm difference in width is 5 mm per side or less than 1/4".
I am pretty sure they will fit.
I would like to hear from someone that actually TRIED 235/50/18 tires on their Fusion, not just someone thinking they won't fit.

Is there anyone here that works at or knows someone that works at a tire store and can check this out?
Another reason I would like to know as well as the original poster, is I'm thinking of doing this to my 08 SEL Sport.
I was looking at these tires as they do everything well according to tirerack. I want smooth QUIET tires (not like the RS-A's I have) that give good winter traction. Check the surveys to see the ratings. All very high.
http://www.tirerack....ECDWS&tab=Sizes

Yeah I know they aren't cheap. The stock size 225/45/18 is cheaper but I want more rubber between the rim and the road. The 5/8" there would help the ride and help from smacking a rim on a pot hole.
I'm not into drag racing this car, I don't care if it is slower out of the hole etc. I want a bigger diameter for better mpg on the highway. YES I know the speedo will be 5% off. I can live with that no problem. I'm not a speeder. I want smooth riding Quiet tires. I like the 18" wheels on my Sport.
I really don't want to change them.

I also want to buy one set of tires not summer tires and winter tires. Two sets would cost more of course....

Has anyone actually tried 235/50/18 tires on a stock 18" Fusion rim?

Thank you.
Danford1

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I have not heard of anyone on this board using them. I went from a 50/17 to a 45/18 and there is for sure a noticeable comfort difference.

Reactions: FusionS2007

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
[quote author=danford1 link=topic=182585.msg3865023#msg3865023 date=1290323322]
Which tires provided the comfort?
Thanks.
Danford1
[/quote]

Hi danford. :wavey: All other variables being equal (apples to apples comparison of two different sizes of the same make/model tire), the tire with the taller sidewall will generally provide more comfort as the taller sidewall provides more "cushioning" from road hazards.

So in your comparison, the 235/50-18 will have a sidewall height of 117.5mm (50% of 235mm). A 225/45-18 will have a sidewall height of 101.25mm (45% of 225mm). So generally speaking, the 235/50-18 will provide a more "comfortable" ride.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=danford1 link=topic=182585.msg3865023#msg3865023 date=1290323322]
Which tires provided the comfort?
Thanks.
Danford1
[/quote]

50's were much better for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.
So the 50's will have a softer ride. That is what I want.

I'm still trying to find someone that actually has 235/50/18 on their car to see if they rub or not.
It seems hard to believe no one tried this yet...

Danford1

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
[quote author=danford1 link=topic=182585.msg3871557#msg3871557 date=1291161348]

I'm still trying to find someone that actually has 235/50/18 on their car to see if they rub or not.

Danford1
[/quote]

Hi Danford. :wavey: It is not impossible that someone has tried the 235/50-18. However, the problem is that is not a commonly used (or recommended) size for the Fusion.

The reason for that is generally (I don't want to/like to make an absolute or blanket statement), most "automotively knowledgeable" people will not use a wheel/tire combo that will throw the speedometer and odometer off as much as a 235/50-18 tire will on the Fusion (as compared to the stock 225/50-17's or 225/45-18's). Of course, you may find someone who has used this tire size on a Fusion, but it still is not a good choice.

I know you seem to have your heart set on this size, but it really is not a good choice. Even a 225/50-18 would be better. Not recommended, but still better than the 235/50-18

Hope this information helps.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
I just spent a lot of time looking through the 18 pages of the sign in if you think your rims are BEST, thread.
You noted "people will not use a wheel/tire combo that will throw the speedometer and odometer off as much as a 235/50-18 tire will on the Fusion".

I see quite a few guys with 19" an 20" rims, even some 22" ones.
Doing the math, alot are running taller tires than stock.
A size I saw a few times was 255/35/20 which is 27.02" in diameter.
My stock 225/45/18 are 26.9" in diameter.
The 235/50/18 are 27.25" in diameter plus not as wide. If 255/35/20 tires fit, then 235/50/18 that are 1/4" taller and less wide should fit also.

I'm sure the guys running the 20's have a speedo that is off too ... looks like 8% ...
So if my speedo reads 65mph I'll be going 70.2 mph, like the guys driving on the 255/35/20's ....
For ever 100 miles registered will be 108 miles driven. I can easily compute the gas mileage too.

In those 18 pages it seems they are not at all concerned about ride quality with the 35 or 40 series tires. I WANT more rubber between the rim and rode. I live in Michigan and there are pot holes. Those 35 series tires would be bending rims around here plus they would ride harsher with the stiff side walls...

I wouldn't say I'm dead set on buying those 235 tires, I'm looking for positive results before I buy them though.
Seems like I almost got it with the 255/35/20 guys....

Danford1

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
[quote author=danford1 link=topic=182585.msg3871592#msg3871592 date=1291167400]
Thanks.
I just spent a lot of time looking through the 18 pages of the sign in if you think your rims are BEST, thread.
You noted "people will not use a wheel/tire combo that will throw the speedometer and odometer off as much as a 235/50-18 tire will on the Fusion".

I see quite a few guys with 19" an 20" rims, even some 22" ones.
Doing the math, alot are running taller tires than stock.
A size I saw a few times was 255/35/20 which is 27.02" in diameter.
My stock 225/45/18 are 26.9" in diameter.
The 235/50/18 are 27.25" in diameter plus not as wide. If 255/35/20 tires fit, then 235/50/18 that are 1/4" taller and less wide should fit also.

I'm sure the guys running the 20's have a speedo that is off too ... looks like 8% ...
So if my speedo reads 65mph I'll be going 70.2 mph, like the guys driving on the 255/35/20's ....
For ever 100 miles registered will be 108 miles driven. I can easily compute the gas mileage too.

In those 18 pages it seems they are not at all concerned about ride quality with the 35 or 40 series tires. I WANT more rubber between the rim and rode. I live in Michigan and there are pot holes. Those 35 series tires would be bending rims around here plus they would ride harsher with the stiff side walls...

I wouldn't say I'm dead set on buying those 235 tires, I'm looking for positive results before I buy them though.
Seems like I almost got it with the 255/35/20 guys....

Danford1
[/quote]

Post was edited 12/1:

Hi Danford. :wavey: Hope you understand that I am only trying to help and not trying to argue. Unfortunately, you have now quoted me quite out of context, and context is very important. In reality, if you had quoted the full phrasing in my previous reply, instead of a partial quote, the entire meaning of my statement is quite different than what you implied.

What I stated was this "...generally (I don't want to/like to make an absolute or blanket statement), most "automotively knowledgeable" people will not use a wheel/tire combo that will throw the speedometer and odometer off as much as a 235/50-18 tire will on the Fusion (as compared to the stock 225/50-17's or 225/45-18's). Of course, you may find someone who has used this tire size on a Fusion, but it still is not a good choice."

That is very much different than what you partially quoted, which was this, "people will not use a wheel/tire combo that will throw the speedometer and odometer off as much as a 235/50-18 tire will on the Fusion".

In addition, my previous reply was only trying to help answer this statement which you made in your previous reply:

[quote author=danford1 link=topic=182585.msg3871557#msg3871557 date=1291161348]
Thanks for the info.
So the 50's will have a softer ride. That is what I want.

Danford1
[/quote]

The reality is that it is easy to believe/understand why no one has stepped up yet to say they have used this size combination yet: Among the sizing issues already mentioned, when people buy larger wheels, they usually want the look of less rubber with larger wheels, not more rubber. However, you got larger wheels and now are looking for more sidewall rubber/ride comfort with that larger 18" wheel. That is not the visual appeal that most people who buy larger wheels normally look for. People who buy larger wheels normally are willing to give up a bit of ride comfort for "the look". So a 235/50-18 tire on the Fusion is not a likely combination that you will find people trying. Again, not impossible, just not likely, as the lack of response sort of shows.

And just as an FYI (this is very important considering that you made this statement "I'm looking for positive results before I buy them though. Seems like I almost got it with the 255/35/20 guys...."): Some of your calculations/figures concerning the 225/45-18's and 255/35/20's from the "Best Wheels" thread are quite a bit off in your previous post. For example, your "stock 225/45/18" are not 26.9" in diameter. They are ~26,0" in diameter. Use this Tire Size Calculator to get more accurate figures: www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If you have doubts about anything you are being told, then do what some of us always recommend: Consult with the experts at sites such as The Tire Rack, Discount Tire or similar professional sources. I am not asking you to blindly believe me. Do not take the word of us "Internet schlubs" :lmao: (or anonymous people in the "Best Wheels" thread). If The Tire Rack or Discount Tire tell you it is alright to use a 235/50-18 wheel/tire combo, then you have been informed by professionals. Otherwise, it is "buyer beware" and "proceed at your own risk".

For what it's worth, in my opinion, 235/50-18's will "probably" not rub. But again I would recommend consulting a professional tire source before taking my word or the word of any other anonymous, non-professional Internet individuals. :blah:

In the end, when push comes to shove, the fact is this is your car, you can do as you like and I respect that fact. I just hope you understand I was only trying to help.

Since you want to hear from someone who actually has a 235/50-18 tire on their Fusion and I don't want to cause any unnecessary disagreements, I will step out of the thread at this point unless you have any specific questions you would like to ask.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. You make some very good points.
I appreciate all the info I can get.
I do see my typo now that you mentioned it. I meant to type 25.9 not 26.9. My math was right, my typing was wrong...

I happen to live near a Tire Discount and Belle Tire store. In fact they are Right Next door to each other, not a block away, right next to each other.
Needless to say they both give excellent to outstanding service. I had great experiences with both places. (makes me wonder if they are owned by the same person, win/win cituation)
I'm sure if I walk in with a fist full of $50 bills they will install some tires and see if they rub. They seem very accomidating :) I guess this would be a good test to that observation...

Thanks again for all the info.
I may be able to get up there next week and have some tires test fitted.
Seems like they could just mount one tire and install it on the front to see if it clear the control arms etc.

I'll let them decide that.
Cheers.
Danford1

·
Registered
840 Posts
Post some pictures once you have them installed. I'm curious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if Im bumping such an old thread. I was trying to see if 235/50/18 would actually fit w/o rubbing but I couldn't find a conclusion. Well, I've tried it and yes they do fit. It really depends on your wheel spec tho. My wheels are 18x8 +44 with 235/50/18 and they BARELY clear the upper control arm with only maybe 5mm or so to spare.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been reading old posts with the search feature for an hour.
I can't seem to find this specific answer.
Has anyone actually TRIED a 235/50/18 to see if it actually rubs?

One reason I ask is I worked as a designer for Ford, 29 years. When we designed tire clearance envelopes we always had tire chains on the tires. This made the tires higher and wider. The envelopes were designed using the tallest widest tires that particular came with. An Envelope is the physical size any part of the tire could be at any part of suspension travel and turning capability.
The 1.3" tall difference is about 5/8" higher off the rim (radius). Remember radius is half the diameter.
The 10mm difference in width is 5 mm per side or less than 1/4".
I am pretty sure they will fit.
I would like to hear from someone that actually TRIED 235/50/18 tires on their Fusion, not just someone thinking they won't fit.

Is there anyone here that works at or knows someone that works at a tire store and can check this out?
Another reason I would like to know as well as the original poster, is I'm thinking of doing this to my 08 SEL Sport.
I was looking at these tires as they do everything well according to tirerack. I want smooth QUIET tires (not like the RS-A's I have) that give good winter traction. Check the surveys to see the ratings. All very high.
http://www.tirerack....ECDWS&tab=Sizes

Yeah I know they aren't cheap. The stock size 225/45/18 is cheaper but I want more rubber between the rim and the road. The 5/8" there would help the ride and help from smacking a rim on a pot hole.
I'm not into drag racing this car, I don't care if it is slower out of the hole etc. I want a bigger diameter for better mpg on the highway. YES I know the speedo will be 5% off. I can live with that no problem. I'm not a speeder. I want smooth riding Quiet tires. I like the 18" wheels on my Sport.
I really don't want to change them.

I also want to buy one set of tires not summer tires and winter tires. Two sets would cost more of course....

Has anyone actually tried 235/50/18 tires on a stock 18" Fusion rim?

Thank you.
Danford1
I know this is a very old thread but years later I had the same question. I already owned a brand new set of 235/50R18s and I wanted to make use of them so had them installed on a used 50,000 mile 2013 Ford Fusion I just bought. They fit fine and are not rubbing at all even over rough roads or when the front wheels are turned to max Position. In my opinion they look sharp as well and give the wheel wells a fuller look and the ride is nice to boot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but years later I had the same question. I already owned a brand new set of 235/50R18s and I wanted to make use of them so had them installed on a used 50,000 mile 2013 Ford Fusion I just bought. They fit fine and are not rubbing at all even over rough roads or when the front wheels are turned to max Position. In my opinion they look sharp as well and give the wheel wells a fuller look and the ride is nice to boot.
I well know this thread is over 11 years old, but it flat out astounded me that the original posters back in 2010 thought that going up a single size (from a 225/50 to a 235/50) would having some sort of grotesque effect on speedo calibration, handling, suspension interference, etc. Wow... do the people on here really know that little about car-related mechanical matters, or were they just all scared of their own shadows? Kudos to you for doing it. I have had 235/50-17 on my MKZ for many years and exactly as you put it, it looks better, rides better, and of course, there's absolutely not a single problem encountered - not even a speedo issue! Yuuuup! Since the addition of the 235s, the speedo is SPOT ON!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad you can contribute :rolleyes:

Since you have/had 17 inch wheels on your MKZ, it is a gen 1, and your tire size went from 225/50/17 to 235/50/17. That is .3 inches taller and .3 inches wider.

The OP change is 1.3 inches taller and an .5 wider, which is .7 inches closer to the fender and some suspension bits, for some vehicles can be a big deal.

I can't run the tires that came on my Mustang rims as they contact the inner fender at full lock, and this is the same exact variables the OP was dealing with (235/50/18 vs OEM 225/45/18). If I use spacers then are no longer into the spindle, but they would trash the inner fenders and there are other contact points.

The person you quoted has a Gen 2, which has a different OEM size and suspension setup than the OP with his gen 1.5 Sport.

With the OEM sized tires I have around 1 inch between the UCA/UBJ and the tire surface (which is fine since the gap should be constant):

and tire to spindle about the same (again, no way that much deflection):

but wider taller tire recipe for a torn out inner fender at the bare mininum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts