FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 fusion se with 18400 miles and the rear brake rotors are bad. 95% highway miles. Ford won't warranty them. I guess they think that it's normal wear and tare.Bs faulty rotors! They want $400.00 to replace them. Needless to say not Happy. Any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
5,761 Posts
I have a 2018 fusion se with 18400 miles and the rear brake rotors are bad. 95% highway miles. Ford won't warranty them. I guess they think that it's normal wear and tare.Bs faulty rotors! They want $400.00 to replace them. Needless to say not Happy. Any ideas.
Hi Eddie. In cases like this, it is very difficult to tell someone if the problem they encountered should be covered under warranty. There are just too many variables.

First, is your 2017 Fusion still within the 3 year limit of the 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Warranty? What was/is the cause of the premature wear?
What do you mean by "faulty rotors"? They are simply hunks of metal, so defective/"faulty" brake rotors are rare.
Was there a problem attributable to a defect in material or workmanship, such as a defective brake caliper etc?
Did the pads wear down and damage the rotors?

If your car is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Warranty and the root cause is a defect in material or workmanship, then in most cases, it should be covered under warranty.

Generally speaking however, if the vehicle is out of warranty or the cause of the problem is undetermined, then the repairs would not be covered under warranty.

More information might help.

In addition, if your car is still under warranty, you can contact Ford Customer Relations.

If it is out of warranty, there is not much you can do. You can contact Ford Customer Relations and see if they can do anything. If not, you can also shop around for a reputable local shop and probably have the brake work done for less.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all my fusion is a 2018 and still under warranty. The pads are fine. The problem is many groves on the rotors. The front ones are like new. I have been around cars all my life from building complete race cars to the machine shop and welding business. There is such a thing as bad castings which I believe these are. Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
5,761 Posts
First of all my fusion is a 2018 and still under warranty. The pads are fine. The problem is many groves on the rotors. The front ones are like new. I have been around cars all my life from building complete race cars to the machine shop and welding business. There is such a thing as bad castings which I believe these are. Thanks for your input.
Hi Ed. Well, "first of all" ;)...I did not say there is no such thing as a "bad casting" or bad rotor. I clearly stated "...defective/'faulty' brake rotors are rare". Of course there is such a thing as "bad castings", but they are also rare. Both are true statements. And all you originally stated was "the rear rotors are bad". You did not tell us what you felt was wrong with the rotors (cracked, warped, heavily grooved?) until now. If you want good ideas and not blind Internet guesses, all of that is important information to know.

And we can not know if your car is still within warranty unless we ask. For example: While I accidentally typed "2017" in my first reply, a 2018 model purchased in mid-2017 to mid-November 2017, would be out of warranty at this point.
And also, keep in mind we can not know how much car knowledge you have, how long you have been around cars or that you have built complete race cars.

You asked for ideas as to what you can do. I'm attempting to tell you. You can ask the Service Manager why the warranty claim is being denied. Ask them why the rear rotors are so heavily grooved at ~19,000 miles when the pads are "fine" and "The front ones are like new". Are they claiming owner negligence? Lack of maintenance? Environmental issues? Are they claiming it was a problem with the calipers? Are they claiming you raced the car?
I am not making any judgements, only asking...What exactly are they claiming excludes it from warranty coverage?

Something caused "many grooves on the rotor". What do they claim it was? That is where you need to start your case.

If they are claiming it is not a defective rotor, but something else that is not warrantied, you need to find out what they claim it was. Then you need to convince them that the rotor was defective in material or workmanship or that whatever the other claimed root-cause is covered under warranty. So you need to put your knowledge from many years of being around cars and building complete race cars to convince them.

In addition, if you can not get any satisfaction from the Service Department/Service Manager at your Dealership, you can call Ford Customer Relations and plead your case to them.

That is what you can do.

If other members here have more advice to offer, I am sure they will jump in to help.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts