FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inadvertently applied the parking brake of my 2017 Ford Fusion SE while the car was in Drive and while my foot was on the brake. The car was stationary. I immediately released the parking brake and then proceeded forward in Drive after taking my foot off the brake.

Is it advised to ONLY apply the parking brake if the car is in Neutral or Park? In this instance, there should be no problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is no problems with what you did. The parking brake is just an electronically applied physical brake that uses the rear service brake pad and rotor.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
I inadvertently applied the parking brake of my 2017 Ford Fusion SE while the car was in Drive and while my foot was on the brake. The car was stationary. I immediately released the parking brake and then proceeded forward in Drive after taking my foot off the brake.

Is it advised to ONLY apply the parking brake if the car is in Neutral or Park? In this instance, there should be no problem?

Thanks.
Hi jdoug. Welcome to the Ford Fusion Club.You should have no problems, as bangster stated.

And on a related note: You are correct that ideally, in the future, the parking brake should not be applied while the vehicle is in Drive. Especially now that it is an electronic parking brake, which that can easily/accidentally be released just by touching the accelerator.

Proper usage would be to come to a stop, and while keeping your foot on brake, put the transmission in Park, then apply the parking brake. In this way, the vehicle does not roll forward or backward those few inches while in Park. This helps avoid pressure being put on the Park gear pawl in the transmission.

And obviously, the parking brake should never be used to hold a car that is in Drive.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts