FordFusionClub.com banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone on this forum work at a ford dealership? I was hoping someone could chime in and tell me whether or not they can disable the DRLs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So what's the more likely scenario that one side of my headlights is no longer turning on? Bulb or Ballast? It worked perfectly for a few days, then I noticed the passenger side headlight was not always coming on with the auto lamps, but the driver side was working perfectly. I would have to turn off the lights then manually turn them on for them to work. Now the passenger side fails to come on at all.

I'm using Morimoto 3Five from TRS

·
Registered
75 Posts
That happens when you get lower quality HID kits. I had the same problem when I retrofitted my 03 Mazda6.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's far from a low quality kit, the only ballasts better would be OEM.

Anyways, jinx, I'm assuming you used a relay harness? If so, check the status LEDs on your relay harness.

If you aren't using one.. swap your ballasts from one side to the other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, I'm using the relay harness that was provided. I am almost 100% positive I saw all the led indicator lights come on when I was looking at them. I will double check when I leave work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So what's the more likely scenario that one side of my headlights is no longer turning on? Bulb or Ballast? It worked perfectly for a few days, then I noticed the passenger side headlight was not always coming on with the auto lamps, but the driver side was working perfectly. I would have to turn off the lights then manually turn them on for them to work. Now the passenger side fails to come on at all.

I'm using Morimoto 3Five from TRS

Im running the same ballast. Make sure you have the passenger side ballast securely grounded. I sanded a small area before bolting the ground wire down. Took me 2 hours to realize the paint was causing a less than optimal connection on that side.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The fog works perfectly on the passenger side, and is using the same ground point, so I don't believe it's that. In fact, I am going to move my driver side ground as it has a slight flutter (not a complete on/off flicker). I used a ground point on the strut tower, but I can see the paint is thicker there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with Wireless, swap ballasts from side to side and see if your problem follows the ballast. if it doesn't follow the ballast its either the bulb or the wiring. should be fairly easy to figure out.
on the flickering problem try running Can-Bus Decoder. They have built in capacitor and help regulate the voltage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I figured out how to get the hids working on the Canadian Fusions with daytime running lights. Only problem is that the hids are on all the when the engine is running and the car is out of PARK. which is no big deal because our Canadian cars have the lows on anyways when the car is not in park.
When I purchased my HID kit, I also purchase the relay harness and they offered Can-Bus Digital Decoders for like $15 so I bought those too. all basically plug n play.

Anyways when I tried my HIDs with the relay hooked up I wasn't getting any BOW's so I didn't put in the Can-Bus Decoders. But I was having the problem with the headlights flickering 4 or 5 times and going out because of the lower or pulsating voltage of the daytime running lights. So today I installed the Can-Bus Decoder in-line from the oem headlight harness to the relay. It works perfect, take the car out of park and the headlights come on AND STAY ON :) no flickering what-so-ever.
you can purchase these can-bus decoders here: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Canbus-Decoder-Warning-Canceller-HID-Xenon-Kit-p/hid_canbus_decoder.htm

I think if you just wired up a capacitor inline it would prob work too.

They come with 2 of the decoder boxes. I only needed to use one because my $hitty relay harness only has feeds from one of the headlight plugs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, I've decided to go back to stock, for now. I ended up realizing that I purchased a new car for it's reliability, and just don't want to deal with the hassle of troubleshooting issues right now. I'm sure in the future I may reconsider, especially if Ford releases an updated version of the headlights with HID/LED accents. I'm sure it would be a pain to integrate with our cars considering it didn't come like that factory, but atleast it would have the right projectors as well.

I'm taking a bit of hit on the restocking fee, but I think I will be happier not having to deal with them for now.

·
Super Moderator
5,911 Posts
well my driver side on wont come on. i plugged oem bulb in and it worked , so i tried replacing relay still didnt light up, used different ballast still not working tried new bulb still not lighting up i tried new grounds and checked the power input theyre all good. im stumped does anyone have any suggestions
Hi lcaulford.:biggrin: Yes, but unfortunately while it is the best advice, it is not a suggestion you will like.

For the umpteenth time...The Fusion's electrical/lighting system is not designed, engineered or manufactured for HID lighting. Therefore, we can not install an illegal, cobbled together aftermarket HID kit (yes, that is what all these kits are) into a car with an electrical/lighting system which was not designed for HID lighting. These kits will work for a day, a week, a month, six months or a year or more, but eventually, the vast majority of them will fail, sometimes taking the cars electrical system and/or SJB with it.

It is "buyer beware" when we install these illegal and mostly poorly manufactured kits in our cars. Therefore, my suggestion would be to remove it and reinstall the proper bulbs into your car. Let's face it, if these kits were properly designed for our cars, there would not be so many FFC members and threads asking why they fail and how to get them working.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.:csweeney:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lc, where does your power come from to your relay harness? Where does the relay signal (headlight on signal) come from, driver passenger or both? Not sure what kind of harness you have but mine: power to relay is from battery and the relay signal comes from the drivers side headlight. I know some harnesses have a relay source from each light..

Have you checked your fuses?

·
Super Moderator
5,911 Posts
@bbf2530 the kit im using is off of a 13 f150 i bought everything from the dealer with the exception of the connectors i had to get since the sockets are different. @ticholas the power is straight from battery and the signal comes from each seperate headlight harness , they use to not light up sometimes and id have to cycle it off n on again but now the one wont come on at all
Hi lcaulford.:biggrin: I understand. However, it does not matter. The unpleasant fact is still that halogen and HID systems are different and the Fusion's electrical/lighting system is not designed, engineered or manufactured to use an HID bulb system. You can't just slap HID bulbs and ballasts into a car designed for halogen bulbs, no matter how many harnesses, capacitors and other jury rigged parts the sellers of these kits try to add to make it temporarily work. This is exactly why you and most people who try to install an HID system in a non-HID equipped car will almost always have issues.

This isn't brain surgery. It is exactly why you and most people who try to install HID kits in halogen designed cars (no matter where the kits are obtained from) will eventually have issues, just as you are now. Why do you think even before, according to your own words "...they use to not light up sometimes and id have to cycle it off n on again but now the one wont come on at all"? Because we can't just do whatever we feel like doing, just because we feel like doing it. An HID system will not work right in the Fusion or any car that is not designed for it. It simply will not work right for very long, if at all, in our cars.

Again, whatever you decide to do, good luck.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts