FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed to replace my 97 Mark VIII and 2000 Grand Marquis. Bought my daughter a 2015 Fusion SE/2.5 and while I like it, I don't like it as much as the Gen 1.5.

Had in mind what I wanted, what I would settle for, and what I didn't want.

Must:
V6
Silver/White
No Navigation
401a group
under $8000

Really wanted:
3.5 (Sport or MKZ)
if not Sport, then monochrome appearance package
AWD
Moon and Tune (390w 12 speakers)
402a group:
Driver Vision (BLIS mainly)
Comfort Package (ambient lighting, puddle lamps)
Under $7000
Under 85,000 miles

Didn't want:
Navigation
Black
I4

I drove 3 or 4 MKZ's, but like my Mark VIII, all the additional stuff was already not working, the heated/cooled seats meant that every one had torn seating surfaces. I drove some SE and SELs with the 3.0, and an AWD Milan. They all had enough issues to make them not worth the asking price. I drove a few local Sports, and they must be accident magnets, as they had lots of body damage, but nothing so bad as to be listed in Car Fax as an accident, sometimes as damage other than accident.

A 2012 Ingot Silver Sport AWD showed up 120 miles away. I tried getting the guys attention but it took awhile to get some information from him, like the VIN to run, options (no image of rear bumper so no idea if reverse sensing/BLIS), etc.

Finally setup a time to drive it, and liked it. It wasn't perfect, and had more miles that I had hoped for. After driving FWD ones I really decided AWD wasn't as high on the list as I thought it would be, but this has AWD.

Got a check to buy it, went to the bank with him to pay it off, got told the lien release would be mailed in a couple of days, then title. That was 6 weeks ago, still no title in my name, just a bill of sale, which only has one name on it, title has 2, so I can't get the title that way, I have to wait for the seller to send it.

After watching it sit for 6 weeks, I finally gave up and started working on it. It had a minor shake at idle in gear (rear view mirror shook), it had a pause if you nailed it from a roll, and none of the recent maintenance had been done.

Got plugs (Autolite Iridium), 5 quarts of Ford Premium transmission fluid for the A F21 transmission (only needed 3.5), 2 gallons of Death Cool (later 2012 after change over from Specialty Green), 10 quarts of 5w20 Mobil1 full synthetic (dash said 1% life remaining...), PTU fluid, rear diff fluid, air filter, cabin filter, throttle body cleaner, MAF cleaner, and went to town.

Plugs worn to .070 gap (big chunk of ground strap eroded away, and tip worn as well), transmission fluid was darkish orange and had a dark brown tint to it, but the new fluid is much darker than I am used to with Mercon V and LV. Flushed radiator with 1.5 gallons of distilled water, drained it again then another gallon, drained it and added 1 gallon of Death Cool.

No more shaky idle, no more bog when accelerating, could spin the tires with TCS off (but not like I had hoped, nothing like my Mark VIII) and couldn't before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hanging out with my 2017 Escape (well, my wife's car) and my daughters 2015 Fusion SE 2.5 Appearance Package:

First maintenance it has seen in awhile (seller said it was up to date, but nope):

One of four very curbed wheels:

super deep scratch that happened between first time I drove it and when I went back to buy it, wish this didn't happen, this isn't going to be fun to fix:

This right here is why I put on blinders and let some of the body stuff slide:

replacing this (just too far gone from crash damage, and perpetual electrical problem causing it to fail emissions):

Should be putting this out to pasture also, at 320,000 miles, but it is cheap to insure, parts at junk yard are plentiful, and it still just goes, so keeping it around:

If I can ever drive it with plates, I will get some better pictures. I polished and waxed it and it really looks good now.

I am waiting on the Steeda hood strut kit (it has a broken off prop rod, lots of issues with the radiator core support for the airbox/snorkel mount as well), the front valance (the bumper flexes a lot without it), some HID projectors to put in some junkyard headlights, some brushed nickel wrap for the grille (also from the junk yard). Also a couple rattle cans of touch up paint for the bigger spots, lots of rock chips that need sanded and filled.

Gonna go over the brakes next. If I am not happy with what I see, and i need to start getting some parts, might for the MS6 bigger brakes, if I have to spend 250 bucks might as well spend 400.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Congrats on your new find! How many miles did the 2015 Fusion have that the spark plugs were that badly worn?

It would really be nice if previous owners took care of their cars, but they rarely do. The only thing I typically find is when they say "had all maintenance done by the dealer" and have the receipts to prove it. Of course, in the first few years the required maintenance is near zero anyway. But we know that there is maintenance that is recommended, but not required, that doesn't get done.

Your older cars look really good. It shows that you take care of what you have. We take care of our 2011 Ford Explorer (first year of new model) and people think it is new despite having 115k miles on it. It gets garaged, so that helps a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The worn out plugs are in the 2012. It has 107k miles, and it came with platinum plugs, not iridium like the...I4 I guess. While the tip was eroded, it was mainly the ground strap being half eroded that made the gap so big. I went with the Autolite XP Iridium because I have had good luck with them in the 4.6 SOHC and DOHC. They have platinum on the ground strap. Plus they are 90 cents a piece with rebate!

Pretty evenly worn, the top one really shows the worn out on one side effect most of them had on the ground strap:

Well over due for the plugs, and since it is new to me figured will knock out the 150,000 mile items, and the no maintenance items as well...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got it titled and registered and plated. Haven't had much time to do more than polish it up and gather up parts for when it isn't 105 degrees.

Still have some scratches and fix, the wheels to fix, but after the tune up runs much better. Everyone thinks it should be faster than my Mark VIII, which I don't see as the Fusion has 30 less horsepower and weighs almost 500 pounds more.

A few glamor shots between rains (it rained, I washed it, 100 degree temps dried everything out, took pictures, then it rained again):

no more broken prop rod, gas struts for the hood!

scratched bumper cover, also has spiderwebbing a couple of places:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally got it titled and registered and plated. Haven't had much time to do more than polish it up and gather up parts for when it isn't 105 degrees.

Still have some scratches and fix, the wheels to fix, but after the tune up runs much better. Everyone thinks it should be faster than my Mark VIII, which I don't see as the Fusion has 30 less horsepower and weighs almost 500 pounds more.

A few glamor shots between rains (it rained, I washed it, 100 degree temps dried everything out, took pictures, then it rained again):

Just got mine back from falcon performance in Australia 480hp 2010

·
Registered
7 Posts

Nice car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts