FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2012 Ford Fusion SEL 2.5L
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Fusion SEL 2.5L transmission makes a whining sound, but it gets less noticeable when the car reaches running temperatures. Once the car has been running for a while and its reaches its optimal operating temperatures it still makes the sound, but very settle. Also, it is almost not audible when the windows are closed. To really notice the sound coming from the transmission the windows have to be rolled down. Maybe is a normal sound on this vehicle, but I have not had this experience with other cars. I have heard other cars on the road make that transmission sound.

The car shifts fine and I don't see or feel a problem with the transmission. I bought the car on January 2021 with 126,000 miles on it. I did a transmission oil change myself with Mercon-LV as soon as I bought it. Right now the car is at 144,000 miles. I had read on some other post about using a different transmission oil Red Line D6 AFT and that it would make the transmission perform better. Any suggestions on why the sound? Is the sound normal louder when cold and settle when warm? Remember the sound is not almost not audible with the windows closed.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I checked while parked and it seems not to be the transmission, but a noise from the serpentine belt area. It could be a pulley or somewhere I read said it could be the alternator. But its diffidently coming from the serpentine belt area. Its only a settle low winning noise that has not gotten to the annoying type. Just curious of what it might be.

· Administrator
6,178 Posts
I checked while parked and it seems not to be the transmission, but a noise from the serpentine belt area. It could be a pulley or someone I read said it could be the alternator. But its diffidently coming from the serpentine belt area. Its only a settle low winning noise that has not gotten to the annoying type. Just curious of what it might be.
Hi idanny. As you stated, it could be the serpentine belt, alternator, a worn pulley, etc. Best to have it checked by a reliable shop/tech.

Let us knwo how you make out and good luck.

· Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Fusion SEL 2.5L transmission makes a whining sound, but it gets less noticeable when the car reaches running temperatures. Once the car has been running for a while and its reaches its optimal operating temperatures it still makes the sound, but very settle. Also, it is almost not audible when the windows are closed. To really notice the sound coming from the transmission the windows have to be rolled down. Maybe is a normal sound on this vehicle, but I have not had this experience with other cars. I have heard other cars on the road make that transmission sound.

The car shifts fine and I don't see or feel a problem with the transmission. I bought the car on January 2021 with 126,000 miles on it. I did a transmission oil change myself with Mercon-LV as soon as I bought it. Right now the car is at 144,000 miles. I had read on some other post about using a different transmission oil Red Line D6 AFT and that it would make the transmission perform better. Any suggestions on why the sound? Is the sound normal louder when cold and settle when warm? Remember the sound is not almost not audible with the windows closed.
I just took our 2013 Fusion in to the Ford dealership with a whining sound, they diagnosed it as a bad turbo, $2,500 to fix, still thinking if it’s worth it.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done anything yet. It seems to be more prevalent when it's cold outside. I leave it alone since it's only very settle and seems to not be there on warmer days. I guess looking for an excuse to do mechanical work.... 😂. I do most of my car repairs and like to keep busy with DIY projects. Been busy with house projects and will wait and see if the noise worsen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts