FordFusionClub.com banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update; Just got my Fusion back from the dealer. They had it for 3 days working on getting the auto headlights to work. During this time I had them test the brakes because of how weak they were in panic situations. They replaced a bad cap on the brake fluid resivor. They then compaired my Sport to another new Fusion they had on the lot. After this they determined that my Fusion stopped as quickly as the new Fusion. I couldn't believe this so they did a few more tests on it and couldn't find anything else wrong.
Well, after picking it up the brakes are completly different with the new cap (they told me that is all they did). It is now possible to get the brakes to lock up to the point that the ABS kicks in. So I'm happy knowing that in a panic situation my brakes will react as they should.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
[quote author=gnarpow link=topic=192326.msg4083362#msg4083362 date=1312084687]
Update; Just got my Fusion back from the dealer. They had it for 3 days working on getting the auto headlights to work. During this time I had them test the brakes because of how weak they were in panic situations. They replaced a bad cap on the brake fluid reservoir. They then compaired my Sport to another new Fusion they had on the lot. After this they determined that my Fusion stopped as quickly as the new Fusion. I couldn't believe this so they did a few more tests on it and couldn't find anything else wrong.
Well, after picking it up the brakes are completely different with the new cap (they told me that is all they did). It is now possible to get the brakes to lock up to the point that the ABS kicks in. So I'm happy knowing that in a panic situation my brakes will react as they should.
[/quote]
Hi, This is very interesting. I cannot understand how a cap would affect braking performance, there is no pressure in the reservoir. If someone can explain the theory I would appreciate it. gnarpow, can you please confirm with your dealer that the cap is all they replaced and if the replacement cap is a modified cap that is different than the original.
Thanks a lot for the update.

·
Registered
682 Posts
[quote author=fenderman link=topic=192326.msg4083379#msg4083379 date=1312089448]
[quote author=gnarpow link=topic=192326.msg4083362#msg4083362 date=1312084687]
Update; Just got my Fusion back from the dealer. They had it for 3 days working on getting the auto headlights to work. During this time I had them test the brakes because of how weak they were in panic situations. They replaced a bad cap on the brake fluid reservoir. They then compaired my Sport to another new Fusion they had on the lot. After this they determined that my Fusion stopped as quickly as the new Fusion. I couldn't believe this so they did a few more tests on it and couldn't find anything else wrong.
Well, after picking it up the brakes are completely different with the new cap (they told me that is all they did). It is now possible to get the brakes to lock up to the point that the ABS kicks in. So I'm happy knowing that in a panic situation my brakes will react as they should.
[/quote]
Hi, This is very interesting. I cannot understand how a cap would affect braking performance, there is no pressure in the reservoir. If someone can explain the theory I would appreciate it. gnarpow, can you please confirm with your dealer that the cap is all they replaced and if the replacement cap is a modified cap that is different than the original.
Thanks a lot for the update.
[/quote]

You and I do agree on something. I don't see how changing the cap could make a difference either.

Perhaps the brakes were badly glazed and the road testing they did burned off the glaze (not likely but possible). Perhaps their was air in the ABS hydraulic control unit and they were able to cycle the ABS (with a scan tool or braking on a slick surface) and drive the air out (perhaps not quite as unlikely, but within the realm of posibility). Perhaps they did something else, intentionally or not, that made the difference. Changing the cap to make this change? Sounds awfully fishy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah it sounded kinda like BS to me too. They told me the cap needs to seal tight because the system does build some pressure in there. Not sure if that is true or not but the brakes are a completly different animal now if you really have to get on them. There was no glaze on the rotors before, maybe on the pads though? Plenty of glaze on the rotors now though, they must have tested the piss out of it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I call the placebo affect. If there was any glaze on the brakes, it'd be long gone by now. Any extra work would be reported by the mechanic so that Ford can pay them for it (unless the tech is doing pro-bono work, or its by a friend, they want to get paid for every little thing that they do. Replacing a dust cover, they'll charge back if it'll get them some money). Not to mention AFAIK if they did anything above that, it'd have to be documented for warranty purposes, or even possible legal issues should they arise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
[quote author=Trainass link=topic=192326.msg4085474#msg4085474 date=1312335309]
I call the placebo affect. If there was any glaze on the brakes, it'd be long gone by now. Any extra work would be reported by the mechanic so that Ford can pay them for it (unless the tech is doing pro-bono work, or its by a friend, they want to get paid for every little thing that they do. Replacing a dust cover, they'll charge back if it'll get them some money). Not to mention AFAIK if they did anything above that, it'd have to be documented for warranty purposes, or even possible legal issues should they arise.
[/quote]

Alright, call it what you want. But I'm perfectly able to understand how a braking system should and should not work. Before, as previously stated, it was impossible to lock the brakes (feel abs) on anything besides wet pavement / snow etc. The system is completely different now.
Also, I never said they replaced other components of the system "pro bono," I said they replaced a leaking cap on the reservoir. They tried finding another issue and could not. I was skeptical, but it's much better now.
It's a nice placebo since I personally thought there was no way in hell the car would stop better with a new cap. Seriously thought it was a line of bs when they said the system needs pressure to operate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I just replaced all rotors with drilled and slotted rotors for less then 300. Excellent stopping power will never go back to regular rotors again!

·
Registered
2012 SEL 2.5
43 Posts
gnarpow
Like you I have a very poor pedal. So now I want to go buy a brake cap. I wonder if the cap is vented. It must be to
push fluid to the calipers. Anyway, glad your a happy guy now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2011 Fusion Sport AWD 12k miles. Ever since I got the car (new) I noticed that even when the brake is fully depressed to the floor while driving on a smooth surface, not enough friction was being applied to rotors to cause the ABS system to engage. There should be enough friction to lock the wheels forcing the abs to pump. The only time I can get the abs to engage is on uneven roads, and on snow and ice where the tires have less traction. Emergency stops are downright scary. It feels as tough im applying only 90% pressure when in fact im flooring the pedal. This occurs when pads are cold, warm or hot. I took it to the dealer. The tech drove it with me and agreed that it doesn’t seem right. We then took a new fusion off the lot (was not a sport, but im not sure what version) and it had the same problem. The Toyota yaris I rented was able to stop MUCH better than the fusion. Every other car ive driven including, Accord, Camry, yaris, etc, had enough force to engage abs during a panic stop. Interestingly one of the service writers commented that she noticed that same issue on her husband’s fusion. The tech emailed and is expecting a response by Monday.
This is a serious issue and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
Thanks
You have described my 2011 Fusion SEL.
There have been a few of those unexpected on road training exercises in my past also.

Just purchased a Brake system up grade kit. 2 piston calipers, Drilled and Slotted rotors, Street and Track pads and Stainless steel mesh covered hoses.
I let you know how it ends up.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts