FordFusionClub.com banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
you are spot on, was totally reserved about calling you Dick. Someone might misunderstand. As it is, I am on thin ice with the mods :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Ok going to chime in here. Ok what exactly has ford done to eliviate your concern? Have they done a new brake job or just took a wheel off and said looks fine?

You may simply just have a set of defective front pads or an oil contamination. It can also be contamination in the brake lines/fluid as well (possibly water). Have they tested any of these items or just poped a wheel and scratched their heads? I also had one vehicle all be it alot older have weak braking due to the lining of the rubber hose degrading.

I have heard of and experienced brake degredation/failure with all of these items. If the ford techs and service manager agree there is an issue then the first step is a simple 15 min change to a new set of oem pads under your 3yr/30k mile warrantee for defective items. Brake pads are not covered for wear but are for being defective. I dont know if you state has it or not but jersey used to have a skid pad at the inspection station that could tell braking power and if anything was off at each individual wheel.

There is also a test you can do yourself. Find out what the 60-0 or 35-0 test was from car and driver and mark that out on a deserted road. If you blow past that mark then your brakes are bad. If not its that you are not used to the cars capapbilities. Not going to lie my car doesnt impress me in braking in a panic situation and its an 06'

good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
hey, blackfusion06

All they did was cut the rotors but that was because i complained of warpage. I doubt its contamination as the new fusion on the lot exhibited the same problem, as well as a number of other fusion owners who have posted the same problem. I doubt i could get accurate results doing my own braking tests. I just called my dealer and they said the rep is on vacation and to try back on Friday. we will see.......

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
sounds to me like a future recall item :( good luck with it. "the new fusion on the lot exhibited the same problem, as well as a number of other fusion owners who have posted the same problem. "

·
Registered
77 Posts
Please do post back in the future if you get the problem solved.

I agree that any car should be able to lock up the brakes and set the ABS even on a dry road.

Curious to see what Ford may do about this.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i agree with comanche too. i just recently, yesterday, locked up mine a bit on a flat dry road. stupid canuck decided to stop at a yield sign for a right turn while our light was green. stupid bitch.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I did some testing. I tried a 90-20 mph stop, 100% pedal engagement, and no ABS, yet the car stopped on a dime.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=192326.msg4070288#msg4070288 date=1310591055]
I did some testing. I tried a 90-20 mph stop, 100% pedal engagement, and no ABS, yet the car stopped on a dime.
[/quote]
Interesting. Try a 25-0 stop, the issue is much more apparent in that scenario.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What are the actually stopping distances?

About the EBD (Electronic Brake-Force Distribution) feature:

Mazda Electronic Brake-Force Distribution EBD.

From Wikipedia:

Electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD or EBFD), Electronic brakeforce limitation (EBL) is an automobile brake technology that automatically varies the amount of force applied to each of a vehicle's brakes, based on road conditions, speed, loading, etc. Always coupled with anti-lock braking systems, EBD can apply more or less braking pressure to each wheel in order to maximize stopping power whilst maintaining vehicular control.[1][2] Typically, the front end carries the most weight and EBD distributes less braking pressure to the rear brakes so the rear brakes do not lock up and cause a skid.[3] In some systems, EBD distributes more braking pressure at the rear brakes during initial brake application before the effects of weight transfer become apparent.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_brakeforce_distribution

·
Registered
26 Posts
Please keep us updated. My 2010 Sport AWD exhibits the same issue with about 26K on it. I will be calling the dealer next week to have it looked at. Scary situation on the interstate yesterday got me looking for others with the problem. It's alarming how many other people are complaining about this issue.
My Tahoe stops quicker than the Fusion and it is by no means a performance vehicle.
I will post back when I get any info from my dealer regarding my problem.

·
Registered
764 Posts
[quote author=blackfusion06 link=topic=192326.msg4069486#msg4069486 date=1310498692]
sounds to me like a future recall item :( good luck with it. "the new fusion on the lot exhibited the same problem, as well as a number of other fusion owners who have posted the same problem. "
[/quote]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey, Just spoke to my dealer who said that the ford rep refuses to see the car as my issue is deemed "normal" operation. I will go on to plan B and install new rotors up from along with semi metalic pads to see if that helps. BTW I was looking at Centric rotor Manufacturer Part #: 120.61088, however on tirerack they state that its only good for "models up to 1/20/10"? does anyone know if anything changed? I have a 2011 fusion gotta look up the build date.

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
[quote author=fenderman link=topic=192326.msg4079806#msg4079806 date=1311725291]
Hey, Just spoke to my dealer who said that the ford rep refuses to see the car as my issue is deemed "normal" operation. I will go on to plan B and install new rotors up from along with semi metalic pads to see if that helps. BTW I was looking at Centric rotor Manufacturer Part #: 120.61088, however on tirerack they state that its only good for "models up to 1/20/10"? does anyone know if anything changed? I have a 2011 fusion gotta look up the build date.
[/quote]

Hi fenderman. :wavey: Just as an FYI, for those who may not know: Our vehicle build date (month/year) is listed on the Manufacturers plate located on the drivers side door sill/jamb.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
[quote author=fenderman link=topic=192326.msg4056534#msg4056534 date=1308888025]
its a very valid test. Again its simple physics. if the wheel is not at the threshold of lockup, maximum brake force is not being applied. If you can explain otherwise I would welcome it. Additionally as my last post indicated, the brakes are so weak that they will not hold the car from a stopped position when full acceleration is applied, while a camry will stop easy from 70mph with wide open throttle. Not normal, sorry.
[/quote]

I look forward to the results of your inquiry; however, I'm not experiencing this issue at all.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
[quote author=Razzorr link=topic=192326.msg4079888#msg4079888 date=1311732499]
Was there a change to the 2011's after 1/20/10?
[/quote]
I think that manufacture date would still be a 2010 issued Fusion. Mine has a manufacture date of March 2010. Unless thats a Canada thing, and the 2011's would be rolling off the line at that point in the USA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
[quote author=Trainass link=topic=192326.msg4080884#msg4080884 date=1311799243]
[quote author=Razzorr link=topic=192326.msg4079888#msg4079888 date=1311732499]
Was there a change to the 2011's after 1/20/10?
[/quote]
I think that manufacture date would still be a 2010 issued Fusion. Mine has a manufacture date of March 2010. Unless thats a Canada thing, and the 2011's would be rolling off the line at that point in the USA.
[/quote]
I agree, however, I am still unlear about what, if any, changes were made after 1/20/10 or from 2010 to 2011. Mine was manufactured 8/2010.

·
Super Moderator
5,833 Posts
[quote author=fenderman link=topic=192326.msg4080896#msg4080896 date=1311799830]
I agree, however, I am still unlear about what, if any, changes were made after 1/20/10 or from 2010 to 2011. Mine was manufactured 8/2010.
[/quote]

Hi fenderman. :wavey: It may be, and is actually very likely, that nothing changed at all and that it is just them playing it safe with their testing/fitment recommendations. However, unless someone with intimate knowledge of the Fusion braking systems jumps in, there are not that many ways to find the information other than compare model year to model year part numbers by checking with your local Dealerships Parts Department, online parts retailers etc..

If I can find any further information, I will post back.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
119 Posts
LOL after looking again even though I retyped it I was thinking 11/20/10.
My 2011 Sport is 10/10.
It is odd how the brakes feel, but it seams to stop right if needed.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts