FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2011 Fusion Sport AWD 12k miles. Ever since I got the car (new) I noticed that even when the brake is fully depressed to the floor while driving on a smooth surface, not enough friction was being applied to rotors to cause the ABS system to engage. There should be enough friction to lock the wheels forcing the abs to pump. The only time I can get the abs to engage is on uneven roads, and on snow and ice where the tires have less traction. Emergency stops are downright scary. It feels as tough im applying only 90% pressure when in fact im flooring the pedal. This occurs when pads are cold, warm or hot. I took it to the dealer. The tech drove it with me and agreed that it doesn’t seem right. We then took a new fusion off the lot (was not a sport, but im not sure what version) and it had the same problem. The Toyota yaris I rented was able to stop MUCH better than the fusion. Every other car ive driven including, Accord, Camry, yaris, etc, had enough force to engage abs during a panic stop. Interestingly one of the service writers commented that she noticed that same issue on her husband’s fusion. The tech emailed and is expecting a response by Monday.
This is a serious issue and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Thats got to be pretty scary.. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope they clear the issue with little inconvenience to you. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out!

:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=Ckenaan link=topic=192326.msg4051656#msg4051656 date=1308327609]
Thats got to be pretty scary.. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope they clear the issue with little inconvenience to you. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out!

:cheers:
[/quote]
Hey,
thanks. Do your brakes feel fine durning emergency stops on smooth surfaces? Being that the car on the lot exhibited the same issue, I feel my case is not an isolated incident. Otherwise I LOVE the car.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I havent had any issues. Im reaching 30k soon. And the brakes look/feel to be wearing evenly and are still pretty firm.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The brakes on mine were pretty useless for emergency stops too.

Brakes and Handling were the only real let downs for me from this car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=umm_me link=topic=192326.msg4051677#msg4051677 date=1308329111]
The brakes on mine were pretty useless for emergency stops too.

Brakes and Handling were the only real let downs for me from this car.
[/quote]
When you say useless - were you having the same issue as me? If so, its not only a let down, but a serious saftey issue that must be addresed by ford.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Basically I was braking hard... having had braked 'kinda' hard in the past I felt comfortable that just a little bit more on the pedal was going to bring me to a fast but controlled stop... I quickly found a little more was not going to do anything, so I fully smashed the brake and found there was still nothing else to be had.

I made the stop but it certainly was not something I was comfortable with. I can not remember for certain if the ABS kicked in but I do not think it did. I might try a 'planned emergency' stop soon to check that out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=umm_me link=topic=192326.msg4051695#msg4051695 date=1308330521]
Basically I was braking hard... having had braked 'kinda' hard in the past I felt comfortable that just a little bit more on the pedal was going to bring me to a fast but controlled stop... I quickly found a little more was not going to do anything, so I fully smashed the brake and found there was still nothing else to be had.

I made the stop but it certainly was not something I was comfortable with. I can not remember for certain if the ABS kicked in but I do not think it did. I might try a 'planned emergency' stop soon to check that out.
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. This is precisely what happens with my car and the dealers fusion. This is not normal and must be addressed. Clearly, if the abs is not being activated, the there is not enough friction between the pads and rotors.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
When you say you floor the pedal, does that just mean 100% pressure, or does that mean the brake pedal actually hits the floor? I'm not sure that the ABS necessarily has to come on in order to stop quickly. Now I'm not sure if it's because of my aftermarket brake upgrades and tires, but when I stop as hard as possible, the ABS does not come on, and the tires skid a little bit, but the car slows VERY fast still. If you try to stop hard, does it seem to reduce speed quickly? Maybe post a video of the speedometer while doing like a 70-30 brake, and we can do the same test and compare.

I agree that everyone here should do a practice emergency brake, whether or not they have a 2010, 2011, or even 2006. It's a good idea to get to know your brakes in case you really need to use them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=192326.msg4051751#msg4051751 date=1308333753]
When you say you floor the pedal, does that just mean 100% pressure, or does that mean the brake pedal actually hits the floor? I'm not sure that the ABS necessarily has to come on in order to stop quickly. Now I'm not sure if it's because of my aftermarket brake upgrades and tires, but when I stop as hard as possible, the ABS does not come on, and the tires skid a little bit, but the car slows VERY fast still. If you try to stop hard, does it seem to reduce speed quickly? Maybe post a video of the speedometer while doing like a 70-30 brake, and we can do the same test and compare.

I agree that everyone here should do a practice emergency brake, whether or not they have a 2010, 2011, or even 2006. It's a good idea to get to know your brakes in case you really need to use them.
[/quote]
When I say fully depress I mean I put as much force as possible so i feel the pedal hitting the metal behind the arm there is no more room for pedal travel. You are correct in that ABS does not correlate to a quicker stop (in fact on many surfaces it may lengthen the stopping distance). However, the issue here is, that when any (abs and non abs) brake system is operating properly, there must be enough force placed by the pads onto the rotors to lock up the wheel.Maximum stopping power is present at lockup however there is not control of the car. SO, the driver must feel the impending lockup and release. On a car with ABS, the computer does that for you many times a second. Therefore if the ABS is not kicking in maximum stopping power is not there. Ive counted 10 cars Ive driven in the past few years and they all react with immeadiate lockup/abs action during panic stops. There is something very wrong here. Try it from 25 miles an hour, you will notice it. Very unpleasant. It feels like im only applying 90% pressure when im at 100%.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Well that's very unfortunate, I hope it gets worked out and the dealer takes care of you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I brought my car for it's 30,000 miles maintenance schedule which includes verifying the brakes pads and rotors. My CSR told me that the brakes are in great shape and I replied yes they are. That's because I had changed them to EBC rotors and Hawk brake pads.

My rotors were blue because they had overheated but my pads could probably go for another 10,000 miles. I could only rely on one panic stop and the brakes feels warped after that.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Sorry to hear about that! Driving a car with inadequate brakes is pretty scary, especially if the drivers around you are as bad as they are in Dallas....

My 2006 Milan had about the best stock brakes of any car I've owned. Solid pedal and great bite. Hope they get you fixed up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2006 SEL sucked from day one period-(Brakes). I should of changed everything before the 36,000 mile warranty period. I have to agree as to a panic stop or locking up the brakes going high speed -mountain curves ...etc..etc...I am a driver that doesn't ride brakes or slam them. Warped rotors or whatever it is..

I can tell u my front rotors were shot at 52,374 miles ( rusted severly in the inside)Warped rotors or whatever it is..

My mechanic was even surprised the poor quality of these origainal O.E.M FORD Rotors. Plus the stock pads suck also.

Currently using Wagner thermo-quiet ceramics front and back-not ceramics...(all around)
Now it stops like a GERMAN CAR. :)

All in All I am happy with my vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[quote author=fusion9 link=topic=192326.msg4054467#msg4054467 date=1308683439]
My 2006 SEL sucked from day one period-(Brakes). I should of changed everything before the 36,000 mile warranty period. I have to agree as to a panic stop or locking up the brakes going high speed -mountain curves ...etc..etc...I am a driver that doesn't ride brakes or slam them. Warped rotors or whatever it is..

I can tell u my front rotors were shot at 52,374 miles ( rusted severly in the inside)Warped rotors or whatever it is..

My mechanic was even surprised the poor quality of these origainal O.E.M FORD Rotors. Plus the stock pads suck also.

Currently using Wagner thermo-quiet ceramics front and back-not ceramics...(all around)
Now it stops like a GERMAN CAR. :)

All in All I am happy with my vehicle.
[/quote]
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, are you saying you had my issue (low brake friction/panic stop not activating ABS) and have resolved it with thermo-quiets - non ceramics? If so that would be awesome. I was suspect that it may just be the OEM ceramic pads. I dont care at all about dust. Braking is my main concern. Semi-metalics have more cold friction than ceramics.

·
Registered
70 Posts
After installing the pads and front rotors. TOTAL DIFFERENT BRAKE FEEL. :) Front pads are ceramic from Wagner and the rears they make are organic.--don't make ceramics for the back. The pads are thicker and different color from stock pads.

I have been driving for a long time and my really fun car is a 911.-turbo-(old school)
As for experience my fusion is my commuter car and get in dependable- go car. I do enjoy the handling, but the turning angle could be better. Now the braking, is another story. What I dreaded was braking fast and hard, the pedal would go down more than i wanted. Abs did kick in, but i was not secure. The service for FORD SUCKS. I have a letter from my principal or priest for them to listen. In the end I just lived with it and avoided hard braking..and riding the brakes... A little difficult going upsate N.Y. going thru mountain fast roads...The brakes would vibrate and get hot soon....TOO SOON...
I just lived with it and drived more careful...Anticipated down the road.
After the brake job..I can now say I enjoy driving the car even more..I still can't believe the difference.

·
Registered
682 Posts
[quote author=fenderman link=topic=192326.msg4051639#msg4051639 date=1308326641]
Hi,
I have a 2011 Fusion Sport AWD 12k miles. Ever since I got the car (new) I noticed that even when the brake is fully depressed to the floor while driving on a smooth surface, not enough friction was being applied to rotors to cause the ABS system to engage. There should be enough friction to lock the wheels forcing the abs to pump. The only time I can get the abs to engage is on uneven roads, and on snow and ice where the tires have less traction. Emergency stops are downright scary. It feels as tough im applying only 90% pressure when in fact im flooring the pedal. This occurs when pads are cold, warm or hot. I took it to the dealer. The tech drove it with me and agreed that it doesn’t seem right. We then took a new fusion off the lot (was not a sport, but im not sure what version) and it had the same problem. The Toyota yaris I rented was able to stop MUCH better than the fusion. Every other car ive driven including, Accord, Camry, yaris, etc, had enough force to engage abs during a panic stop. Interestingly one of the service writers commented that she noticed that same issue on her husband’s fusion. The tech emailed and is expecting a response by Monday.
This is a serious issue and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
Thanks
[/quote]

I don't agree at all with your assessment that there is a problem because you could not invoke ABS on clean, dry, even pavement.

My Ford technician training specifically taught that you could not do that with all cars. ABS is intended to function only when the brakes are right on the threshold of lock-up.

In my own driving experience, I have driven many cars in which the brakes worked properly and the ABS could not be invoked unless the pavement was wet, sandy, or uneven.

I suspect you are suffering from the "Chicken Little" syndrome.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts