FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry to report my 2010 2.5L 6spd has a whining (loud) alternator, the car has 17K miles. It sounds like a bad power steering pump from a Ford in the 80's, but Fusions don't have hydraulic PS. Anyrate, my dealer said my car is the second they've seen. So be on the lookout if you have a 2.5L in your car.
I didn't hear it till I dropped my windows and turned off the AC a few weeks ago. I was hoping my Fusion would be perfect, with no warranty claims. So far that honor goes to our 2.3L 2005 Escape, which has given us 90K trouble free miles!

John

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Alternator. I have had to replace alternators on most all the vehicles I have owned, several more than once. I have such bad luck, I kind of look at the alternator as a replacement item like a belt or muffler. No issues on the Fusion Hybrid, but I only have 3,000 miles. You should be covered by warranty, it's jsut the hassle of having to take it in. Let us know how much it have cost, if you had to pay for it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I saw/heard one today with the whine! Looked like an 09 rental w/ the 2.5 6A. Sounded terrible...

·
Registered
42 Posts
What exactly does it sound like? I've noticed a slight buzzing sound coming from my dash. Sometimes it noticeable and sometimes it's not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a high pitched whine that gets LOUDER as you hit the gas. The new alternator is in, I'm getting it installed tomorrow. BTW, this is the first vehicle I've ever owned that needed an alternator. For instance my '97 F-250HD has it's original unit with 145K miles.

John

·
Banned
160 Posts
Alternator whine can be a real booger-bear to isolate the exact source and even more of a challenge to eliminate especially as the parts makers make every effort to cut cost with no regard to the quality issue. Hopefully that new alternator will not make noises anymore eh. Try Bosch alternator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this whine for a while, replaced the alternator and still whining, thought maybe it's a bearing on one of the pulleys but still haven't found anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts