FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear of something similar to this? Lots of talk on the BON forum about 2009 engine options.

2.5L D25 I4 @ 180hp
3.0L D30 DI @ 240+ hp
2.0L TurboDI @ 260+ hp

Sound like 2009 might be a fun year, just about time for trade-in!

G

·
Help a brother out, I keep engines simple.

Like the 2.3L I = Inline 4.....but what the hell is D30?

30 miniature pistons in the shape of a D?

I'm so confused.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Seeing a few people and kits that have the duratec i4 punched out to a 2.8L is pretty sick, so 2.5 is very reasonable. I love how GM released the 2.4L ecotec and it ended up being just as good on gas as the 2.2. I can only anticipate similar improvements!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Looks good or at least better than what is currently available. How would one go about having his V6 increased in power like this? Another 20hp would be nice.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe direct injection is responsible for the HP increase....if the rumors are true that is.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Direct injection thats cool. Makes me want to upgrade for the extra power and DI. :(

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yea I'm going with Direct injection. I think Gm might be going to that to because they already said that their new 3.6l is easily capable of 300HP, they same engine in the Saturn Aura. Yea if ford can do this without massing up fuel economy that'd be completely cool.

·
Registered
799 Posts
That 2.5 I4 at 180HP might actually cut into V6 sales because that's plenty of power for the average driver.

·
Registered
484 Posts
180 HP that is just the kick the 4 banger needs. :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
[quote author=cos link=topic=72575.msg1287420#msg1287420 date=1174696762]
That 2.5 I4 at 180HP might actually cut into V6 sales because that's plenty of power for the average driver.
[/quote] Its going to cut into competitor's sales more! :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
This might all be true about the I4 2.5l 180HP, but I'd say that only if they keep the fuel economy, plus i think that direct injection and more power on the v6 might help those sales. I know i'd be much happier with 20 more HP from my I4. Does anyone know if direct injection might improve fuel economy? I'd think it would but don't really know.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Generally direct injection improves efficiency so you'll get better performance and fuel economy. Porsche expects their 09 models to improve by 10% in part due to direct injection. We're at the same point we were a few decades back when we switched to fuel injection I can't wait to get a car with direct injection. The I4 with a turbo and direct injection would be a good start (similar to VW's engine) and direct injection and another 40hp for the V6 would be the best upgrades.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hopefully they'll offer a stick for the v6 version and i'll get it. if not i'll get the turbo 4. I hate autos!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would like a manual too !!! How come Mazda gets one & Ford does not, they both use the same 3.0L motor & slightly modified platform :dunno:
Will there ever be a Fusion GT ???

·
Registered
702 Posts
seriously, everything should have a manual option.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Actually I was told the mazda6 is a turbo I4 not v6 so that may be the reason they don't have a manual on the fusion? A manual would help or an automanual which seems to be where most companies are going these days, manuals will soon be dead in exchange we get autostick. They'd have to charge extra for an autostick though whereas manuals are usually cheaper.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The MazdaSpeed6 is a 2.3L turbo manual, but they also sell the non-turbo 4 and 6 cylinders regular Mazda6 with manual transmissions. My neighbor had a Mazda6 V6 manual. Too bad - it makes us manual lovers have to settle for the 4 or shop elsewhere.

I doubt that manuals will die in favor of autosticks - autosticks are still just automatics, albeit an automatic that is easier to shift through the gears. They still suck if you like to drive a real manual transmission.

I wonder what type of price tag the turbo Fusion will have? The 2.5 sounds good, but I am not anticipating a manual for the V6. I'll have to ping my neighbor to see if he knows of anything in the works. He designed the Fusions's body styling and the Milan's front end. He gave me a concept sketch but it looks just like the production vehicle. Must have been a very late concept sketch.

[quote author=otaku link=topic=72575.msg1295127#msg1295127 date=1175036509]
Actually I was told the mazda6 is a turbo I4 not v6 so that may be the reason they don't have a manual on the fusion? A manual would help or an automanual which seems to be where most companies are going these days, manuals will soon be dead in exchange we get autostick. They'd have to charge extra for an autostick though whereas manuals are usually cheaper.
[/quote]

·
Registered
71 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=72575.msg1295127#msg1295127 date=1175036509]
[/quote]

Why would you post a comment about what someone told you? How-a-bout going to the Mazda site, where you will find this person you talked to only informed you of part of the truth. Then post your new knowledge.

As far as autostick, its a design that keeps a person that can't drive a manual from feeling like a complete retard. But anyone with a manual knows the truth...the cost difference? In most cases, the "autostick" is the same automatic used on many cars, but in autostick form, it has some fancy extra code added to the calibration software and a shifter, button, or other control device to allow the user to think they are really in control. :shock: Its a lot like voting.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Copied from another forum...more speculation for 2009!

...gathering bits and pieces on the newly facelifted 2009 Ford Fusion - Ford is committed on imrpving it and this is what I know RELIABLY:

- 2.0l DI Turbo gasser engine - this will be about 200hp, they did not use the Mazda 2.3l DI Turbo, because it did not meet durability criteria.

- UPGRADED 3.0l V6 good for 240hp - Ford wanted the Fusion to be powerful and Fuel Efficient, and they realized they could get beffer FE out of an enhnaced D30 than the new D35 - and still get 240h.

- new I4 Full Hybrid version - this will be an all new Ford system - not just the Escape system - this new Hybrid engine will be more efficient, but the big news is that it is highly flexible in trerms of packaging (unlike the Escape system) so it opens up the door for Hybrid Focus and basically any other Ford with an I4.

Now for more speculation:
- the base I4 upgraded to 2.5l and about 175-185hp. This was mentioned on and off by many sources in relation to the Mazda6 - I have yet to hear it from a perso I trust, but if the Mazda6 debuts with a 2.5l, Fusion will get it too.

- the Fusion will have an upgraded interior - there might not be a radical change in the design theme, but there should be big improvement in material and execution - there is also a chance for brand new switchgear - but it is unclear right now ... first shot of the mule interior will be telling - fully coverred dash means they are making BIG changes.

- of course the exterior will also be redesigned - they will either move it somewhat in the "kinetic" direction of Ford Europe, or in the direction of Ford Interceptor concept ... again the first spotted mule should be telling - the shapes of these two directions are very diferent - we will know soon.

- there will likely be an SVT/ST version - the powertrain of this is still under question: 300hp tune of D35, ~320 hp Turbo D30 or ~400hp TwinForce are the options. I have yet to hear anyting even remotedly definitetive, but in november the Turbo D30 was the forerunner - of course AWD and manual.

- Coupe and Wagon - these two rumors have been dying out, especially with the lack of mules and insider info .. so it might not happen.

I hope people are psyched, because this promided to be a sucessful program for Ford - lone one in a long like of mediocre and subra ones.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts