FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pics are all over the web now, but I thought I would post here for discussion.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/21/rendered-speculation-2009-ford-fusion-and-lincoln-mkz/

My take - looks too much like an Acura from the front without the distinctive vertical headlighs of the current model and doesn't look as "clean" overall. I hope it doesn't look like this, or looks better in person. I'm not even sure if these pics are accurate or not but they're the only thing out there. Rear end looks mainstream too, actually it looks like something you might see on a GM product.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If this image is correct, which it probably is, then I MUCH prefer the current version.

I guess I'll be looking at a 2008 3.0L SEL, Sport Edtion, leather, Moon & Tunes model, in Redfire Metallic.

Wishing Dark Pearl Blue Metallic & a 3.5L were offered in 2008 as options :(

·
Registered
463 Posts
Regarding the 3.5, I just test drove an Edge and the 3.5 was not that impressive. Granted, the Edge is substantially heavier than the Fusion, but the 3.5 didn't have the pull I expected. In a head to head in the same vehicle, I doubt the 3.5 would seem THAT much more powerful to the driver.

I also test drove a RAV4 with their 3.5 a while back and let me tell you, as much as I love Ford I have to admit the Toyota 3.5 breaths fire!

With the Fusion, think of it this way, as recently as the 2005 model year the BMW 3 series 3.0 only had 4hp and 9ft-lb over the Fusion's 3.0. Everyone claims the 3-Series is a "supreme vehicle" but it had the same power the Fusion has today...and those same people slam the Fusion for being underpowered. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Honestly, looking at those three renderings, the Fusion looks the best of the three. I like how they didn't extend the three bar grill and went with a honeycomb grill below. I really love how the grill extends above the headlamps too. That looks like one mean ride...they even cleaned up the tails. Looks real good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
fusionowner, Thanks for the quick review of the 3.5L. Disappointing to say the least, but it seems I've read / heard that before about the expectations & reality of the 3.5L.
Seems the 3.0L is just fine, even though it's something like a 15 yr. old motor design ! Sure it's been updated, but sad but true, I was expecting more from the new 3.5L.

How do you get to the other 2 images of the 2009 Fusion ??? I only see the front 3/4 view.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=MechWarrior link=topic=81489.msg1515548#msg1515548 date=1182802855]
How do you get to the other 2 images of the 2009 Fusion ??? I only see the front 3/4 view.
[/quote]

Just click the picture :wink:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the styling changes. The lines are still a Fusion, but with a much better headlight design. It does look a lot like a TSX, but I like that car anyway. I wonder what interior changes they have in store?

I'd like to see Ford ditch the 2.3L, and switch over the 2.5L 5cyl Duratec from the Focus ST... especially if the turbo came along with it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
MechWarrior,

You're welcome. The 3.5 is a bit of a disappointment considering some of the competitions' current 3.5 engines. When it comes to design, I'm more concerned with the performance, reliability, and fuel efficiency of an engine than the age of the design. I just wish the Ford 3.5 would put you in the back of your seat the way the Toyota 3.5 does.

Interestingly, the Ford 3.5 is one of Ward's 10-Best engines for 2007... :?

·
Registered
112 Posts
[quote author=fusionowner link=topic=81489.msg1515340#msg1515340 date=1182800303]
Regarding the 3.5, I just test drove an Edge and the 3.5 was not that impressive.

[/quote]
I felt this way about the 3.0 over the 2.3. When I bought my 2.3 a year ago, I test drove both before deciding. The 3.0 didn't impress me in the least. Didn't 'feel' like another 60 horses.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I HAVE TO AGREE... I DIDNT REALLY SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE FROM THE 2.3 TO THE 3.O...60 HORSPOWER SEEMS LIKE ALOT BUT ITS NOT
MY BUDDY HAS A 3.0 FUSION AUTO AND I HAVE A 2.3 AUTO AND HE BARELY BEATS ME IN THE 1/8 MILE, NOW MY GRAND PARENTS MKZ LOOK OUT THE 260? HORSPOWER V6 RUNS....SMOKES MY 2.3

·
Registered
817 Posts
Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I like the 2006-08 Fusion better even though the rendering of the 2009 does make the car look more "muscular." I, for one, like the five "blades" of the current Fusions and the vertical headlights but don't care very much for the taillights, because they are too "Nissan-like."

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Hi all! :wavey: Just to add my two cents to the mix.

Let me start off by saying that I do not think the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr are underpowered. But 42 more horsepower certainly wouldn't hurt!

Having said that, it is not reliable/valid to compare a 4500-4600 pound 3.5L Edge, to a 3.0L Fusion which has a curb weight of 3400-3500 pounds.

Of course the 3.5L in the Edge (which was probably AWD, another acceleration liability) will not accelerate or pull like a FWD 3.0L Fusion. However, even with the 1100-1200 pound weight increase and AWD, the Edge is only a few tenths of a second slower 0-60 than a 3.0 Fusion.

Conventional wisdom states that every 100 pound increase or decrease in vehicle weight equates to a tenth of a second loss/gain in acceleration.

I have driven the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr and MKZ (probably one of the minority who can say they have). Trust me, you will know the difference between a 3.0L Fusion, Milan or Zephyr, and a 3.5L MKZ. The vast improvements in acceleration and NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) are quite remarkable. The MKZ feels like a different car. Much more powerful, refined and quieter.

Most magazine tests have timed the FWD 3.0 Fusion 0-60 in the low 7 second range (7.2 or so). The FWD 3.5L MKZ times are in the low 6 second range (6.2 or so). That is a full second faster in a car that is actually slightly heavier (200 pounds or so) due to a larger engine, extra sound deadening and equipment differences.

Again, I am comparing apples to apples. I have driven all of them and am comparing a FWD Fusion to a FWD MKZ, not a much heavier Edge or MKX. The numbers do not lie. The 3.5L is a much stronger and more refined engine.

Do not misunderstand my point. I think the Fusion, Milan and Zephyr are fantastic cars which I would recommend to anyone, and they were on my short list before I decided on the MKZ. But it only took one long test drive in the 3.5 MKZ to convince me to wait for the 2007 model year engine change. And you will not find a professional car reviewer, critic or journalist out there who will not say the same about the 3.5L.

One of these days, Ford will put the 3.5L into the Fusion and Milan (as they already should have) and you will feel/see the difference and love it!

Good luck to all, whether you drive a Fusion, Milan, Zephyr or MKZ! :cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
i totally agree,,,i sorta took a guess at the horspower of the 3.5....does anyone know the real num for that

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=fathead62269 link=topic=81489.msg1516004#msg1516004 date=1182814235]
i totally agree,,,i sorta took a guess at the horspower of the 3.5....does anyone know the real num for that
[/quote]

Hi fathead :wavey: (love that name :lmao:)! The MKZ and 2008 Taurus/Sable have 263 HP. The Edge and MKX have 265 HP.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
thank you i knew i was in the ball park with 260,,,the fusion is gunna have to step it up a but or im gunna look at the new taurus......I love the look of my fusion but if ford is gunna put a 3.5 in a mkz they need to offer it in a fusion hell it the same damn car.......my grand parents mkz is so much like my fusion its sick.....park um side by side and they are the same

·
Registered
463 Posts
It should be noted that I did mention the Edge is "substantially heavier." Also, my car magazines show the MKZ doing 0-60 in the high 6's and the Fusion in the low 7's.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=fusionowner link=topic=81489.msg1517495#msg1517495 date=1182863855]
It should be noted that I did mention the Edge is "substantially heavier." Also, my car magazines show the MKZ doing 0-60 in the high 6's and the Fusion in the low 7's.
[/quote]

Hi fusionowner. :wavey: I was not trying to be argumentative, only provide a counterpoint to your observations, and point out some facts and personal observations of my own.

I have driven the the 3.0L and 3.5L, as you say, "head to head in the same vehicle" (Zephyr/MKZ, both FWD), and the difference in power and refinement was quite obvious. Perhaps if you were to drive a broken in FWD MKZ, instead of a brand new/stiff, substantially heavier AWD Edge, you would agree?

I would be happy to take you for a test drive in mine. Hey, if you still felt the same way then, what the heck, it's a free country! That's what makes America great! :yay:

Yes, you did mention that the Edge is "substantially heavier", that is why I stated that since it does weigh 1100-1200 pounds more, the Edge is not a "reliable/valid" comparison vehicle as far as perceived engine power. There is certainly no harm in my making that statement.

The MKZ's that have been magazine tested in the high 6's are AWD, and are a good half second or more slower than a FWD MKZ, again, which test out in the low 6's. The Fusions testing out at low 7's are FWD (as I clearly stated). The AWD Fusions are slower (as most AWD models normally are).

I repeat, I do not consider the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr to be underpowered. I think they are great cars. I am just stating that the 3.5L engine is a great improvement over the 3.0L engine in power and refinement, and those same magazines all say the same thing. And when the 3.5l engine is finally added to the Fusion/Milan lineup, I don't think you will hear anyone saying "I wish I could have 42 horsepower less."

Do those same magazines say that the 3.5 is quite as refined as Toyota, Audi, Lexus, BMW or the other class leaders? No, but they also say it is a vast improvement over the 3.0L, and a giant step forward. That is all I am pointing out. Just a counterpoint to your observations, not an argument.

I wish the best of luck to all Fusion/Milan/Zephyr/MKZ owners! :cheers:

·
Registered
463 Posts
To make a long story short, after driving the Toyota 3.5 I do not consider the Ford 3.5 a "vast improvement" over my 3.0. I see it as a marginal improvement, at best.

If the Ford 3.5 was as nice as the Toyota then I could see your point.

On another note, I like the Ford 3.5 more than the Nissan/Infiniti 3.5!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts