FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home a couple weeks ago and I heard a noise while driving and the car immediately went into 2nd gear and would not shift. It would go into neutral and reverse but that was it. The wrench light came on but not the check engine light. I made it home and the next day I went to turn the car on and it would not. The key turns, the lights on the dash come up but when I turn the key there is nothing. I thought it was the starter but I pulled it out to check and it was fine. No clue what it can be. Any help?

· Administrator
6,178 Posts
I was driving home a couple weeks ago and I heard a noise while driving and the car immediately went into 2nd gear and would not shift. It would go into neutral and reverse but that was it. The wrench light came on but not the check engine light. I made it home and the next day I went to turn the car on and it would not. The key turns, the lights on the dash come up but when I turn the key there is nothing. I thought it was the starter but I pulled it out to check and it was fine. No clue what it can be. Any help?
Hi Htalizin and wlcome to the Ford Fusion Club. Have you tried jump starting your Fusion? If yes, what happened? If not, try that first. If jump starting is successful, then there is a good chance your battery has failed.

The next step would be to have the battery professionally load tested. Not an old fashioned battery meter test, but a full, professional load test at a Ford Dealer or good shop. There are usually coupons available for a free battery test on the Ford owner website, and also on individual Dealer websites.

If it is not the battery, then you will probably need a shop/tech to diagnose this problem.

Keep us updated and good luck.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I tried changing the starter and a new battery. Still the same. No codes pop up on my little OBD code reader. The wrench is still there and the car does not start. All lights on dash are on, I hear the fuel pump but when I turn the key to start, I hear nothing and nothing happens. I might have to tow it to a shop force then to look at it

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Htalizin and wlcome to the Ford Fusion Club. Have you tried jump starting your Fusion? If yes, what happened? If not, try that first. If jump starting is successful, then there is a good chance your battery has failed.

The next step would be to have the battery professionally load tested. Not an old fashioned battery meter test, but a full, professional load test at a Ford Dealer or good shop. There are usually coupons available for a free battery test on the Ford owner website, and also on individual Dealer websites.

If it is not the battery, then you will probably need a shop/tech to diagnose this problem.

So the saga continues. I took the car to a Ford dealership close to home and they said they replaced a fuse and were able to start the car but it shut off in 30 seconds. They checked the fuse again and it was blown. They came to the conclusion that the Transmission Control Module is has a short and it is blowing the fuse causing the car not to start. The problem is that Ford does not make that part anymore so I have to find one on my own. Another problem I have is I am not able to locate the TCM on that car. Would you or anyone else know where the TCM is and what it looks like? I can’t seem to find anything on the location of this thing.
Thank you

· Administrator
6,178 Posts
So the saga continues. I took the car to a Ford dealership close to home and they said they replaced a fuse and were able to start the car but it shut off in 30 seconds. They checked the fuse again and it was blown. They came to the conclusion that the Transmission Control Module is has a short and it is blowing the fuse causing the car not to start. The problem is that Ford does not make that part anymore so I have to find one on my own. Another problem I have is I am not able to locate the TCM on that car. Would you or anyone else know where the TCM is and what it looks like? I can’t seem to find anything on the location of this thing.
Thank you
Hi Htalizin. I'm sorry, but I can not help you with the TCM location, off the top of my head.

Hopefully one of our more techy members will be able to jump in and provide that information.

· Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
218 Posts
The TCM for the FNR5 is under the dash to the left of the steering column. I am pretty sure they are still available, just $600! The wiring goes from the TCM to a connector under the hood, which has been known to corrode. I don't know if a short in the output of the TCM to the transmission (through that connector) could blow the fuse or not.

What fuse was it? 16 ("transmission"), 23 ("FNR5 and PCM KAM")? Try swapping the transmission relay with one of the others like it, for example the fog light relay?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts