FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone in Fusion Land,

Got a questions that I'd like input. I've got a 2006 SEL 3.0. with 32K on it. When shifting out of first gear to second, the tranny occasional clunks and then surges into second. (Actually chearps the wheels) Now it completely comes out of 1st gear...I slow down to 15 MPH and it reengauges. I've taken to the dealer 7 times.....they can't recreate the problem. It happens twice a week.

Any thoughts???

Pretty frustrated

Vinnie

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=Vinnie link=topic=82587.msg1541427#msg1541427 date=1183827484]
Hey everyone in Fusion Land,

Got a questions that I'd like input. I've got a 2006 SEL 3.0. with 32K on it. When shifting out of first gear to second, the tranny occasional clunks and then surges into second. (Actually chearps the wheels) Now it completely comes out of 1st gear...I slow down to 15 MPH and it reengauges. I've taken to the dealer 7 times.....they can't recreate the problem. It happens twice a week.

Any thoughts???

Pretty frustrated

Vinnie
[/quote]

Hi Vinnie. :wavey: You have a transmission problem, and a limited amount of time to have it fixed before your warranty expires. You say that it only happens twice a week or so. How are you driving the car when it happens? Are you accelerating hard or easy? Have you been driving for a long period of time, or a short period of time (engine/trans warmed up or cold)? Uphill? Downhill? Do you normally drive the car hard, or do you take care of the car? Have you checked your transmission fluid lately? Does it look or smell burned?

As you can see, there are so many variables, that it is impossible to diagnose online. You need to re-create the conditions under which this problem occurs for the Dealers Service Tech, as it is a rather intermittent problem. It makes it very hard to diagnose a problem, if it is not present at the time.

Make an appointment to bring your car back in, with the understanding that the Service Technician will ride with you while you attempt to re-create the condition. Hopefully, you can get the problem to occur while you are driving with the Service Tech.

If your present Dealer will not send a Tech to ride with you, take your car to another Ford Dealer who will.

I hope it is nothing serious, and good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. It happens after I've driven for at least 45 minutes high way driving. Then it begins to act up. Off of a red light I accelerate moderately then you can feel the tranny not performing correctly. I take care of the car almost to a fault. Tranny fuild is fine and theres not burnt smell. Taking it in again for the 8 time on Tuesday. After I called Ford Customer Service yesterday, the dealer all of the sudden got a new attitude. They are now very cooperative and concerned. It's a shame your got to bust thier chops to get a response.

Thanks again for in feedback

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you aware there is a PCM upgrade/reflash? This may help. There is a TSB for this and your dealership should know and try this. Takes about 30min.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Try to get it hot before you take it to the dealer or drive it until it starts to do it's thing, then take it in. Not meant to be smart, just a suggestion. Also, does the car have the exdended warranty? :shock:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Vinnie, where you able to get this taken care of? I have an '07 with what I would call a similar problem, though not quite as bad. The transmission seems to be very jerky between 1st and 2nd, usually after it's had about 10 minutes or so to warm up. When I first take off from the garage in the morning it shifts smooth as silk, but a few more start/stops later and the transition from 1st to 2nd is almost enough to slosh the coffee out of my cup as it sits in the center console. The best way I could recreate what it seems to be doing if it were a manual is if I accelerated, took my foot off the gas without hitting the clutch, then pushing the clutch in to shift to second. Like an engine deceleration. I have absolutely no problem with the rest of the gears.

Also, occasionally when I'm coasting to a stop and then take off it's like it has to hunt for a gear which results in a nice jerk before it accelerates again. This is under very easy conditions, not a hard acceleration at all.

I took mine to the dealer and they said they didn't notice it. I also have the newest flash. It may just be the gear ratio in a six-speed, which admittedly I'm not use to, but I'm really not satisfied with the way it's performing.

If you or anyone else has any insight, I'd definitely appreciate it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any chance it got a dose of the wrong ATF at any point? My research on this indicates that the Aisin Warner transmissions can get a little gnarly if the wrong ATF is used. Only Mobil JWS3309 is the right stuff (Ford XT-8QAW; Volvo 1161540; Toyota T-IV; and GM 9986195). Seems unlikely unless you changed the fluid before suffering the problem, but I thought I'd ask. And if you are running up against a warranty deadline, I'd get it in writing that you specifically took this to a Ford dealer beforehand. Among other things, I'd ask them to suspend any time deadline until it's fixed. I might also try another dealer, even if it is a pain. Sounds like they're running you around while the clock runs out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's only at 11.5k miles so I haven't had it changed yet, but I guess it's possible they got something mixed up at the factory. Fortunately I have plenty of warranty left, plus I have an extended warranty through 5 years/100k miles. It's more just annoying and sort of embarrassing when I have my Honda and Toyota driving friends in the car. I guess I can take it to another dealer to see if I can get them to agree with me. Thanks a bunch for the insight/advice!

Just out of curiosity - what does a "normal" 6-speed in this car feel like from 1st to 2nd? Is it generally pretty smooth? It's been a while since the initial test drive and I simply can't remember, other than the fact that it wasn't like this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
[quote author=octbit link=topic=82587.msg1569000#msg1569000 date=1184843831]
Just out of curiosity - what does a "normal" 6-speed in this car feel like from 1st to 2nd? Is it generally pretty smooth? It's been a while since the initial test drive and I simply can't remember, other than the fact that it wasn't like this.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Every shift on my Aisin Warner 6-speed is smooth as silk in my Fusion - including the 1st to 2nd shift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts