FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 ford fusion, silver frost in color, and the back bumper is warped in the middle on the top. It almost touches the trunk lid. Has anyone had this happen? and is there a fix?

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=gtbrad link=topic=96184.msg1891242#msg1891242 date=1196611484]
I have a 2006 ford fusion, silver frost in color, and the back bumper is warped in the middle on the top. It almost touches the trunk lid. Has anyone had this happen? and is there a fix?
[/quote]

My Milan has the same problem, just kinda rippled/warped. I imagine the only thing to fix is to replace the bumper cover, unfortunately. I just don't let it bother me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=96184.msg1891509#msg1891509 date=1196623731]
[quote author=gtbrad link=topic=96184.msg1891242#msg1891242 date=1196611484]
[/quote]

My Milan has the same problem, just kinda rippled/warped. I imagine the only thing to fix is to replace the bumper cover, unfortunately. I just don't let it bother me.
[/quote]

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=gtbrad link=topic=96184.msg1892453#msg1892453 date=1196647041]
what color is your milan ? I have mostly noticed in on the lighter colors
[/quote]

Not sure the actual name of the color, but it's the dark, dark gray.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My wife had a light parking lot incident in her old Accord that put a similar warp in the rear bumper. With about half an hour with a hair dryer I was able to straighten it out. You may have to take the whole thing off, but it's not too hard. Then just heat it, push it, heat it, push it until it's straight.

But if you are still under warranty try that first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out it is covered by warranty and they are going to replace the bumper skin. The only concern I have is that the new one comes 'ready to paint" so I just hope it matches ok when we paint it..

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=gtbrad link=topic=96184.msg1893777#msg1893777 date=1196696182]
I found out it is covered by warranty and they are going to replace the bumper skin. The only concern I have is that the new one comes 'ready to paint" so I just hope it matches ok when we paint it..
[/quote]

Hi gtbrad. :wavey: If the "warp" is not too bad, I would seriously consider trying to live with the small bulge, if you can. Here is why I say that:

First, let me explain where I got this information from, so you know that I am relaying the thoughts of several experts, and not just expressing my own opinion or biases (or winging it): My wife was hit from behind in our 2001 Cougar this past summer. :hugglez: As an FYI, the Cougar is black, immaculate inside and out, and the paint is like new. All of the body shop owners commented on the excellent condition of the car, especially for it's age. The other driver was covered by Geico, so we took the car to two of their certified shops for estimates, and also to two shops I know and trust for comparative estimates.

All of the shop owners told me the same thing when asked for their opinions on whether it would be best to strip and re-paint it, or buff and wax out as much as possible.

They all stated that if the Cougar had a re-painted replacement bumper cover, and had been hit the same way, the paint would have most likely cracked and chipped, instead of flexing and just receiving a few small scratches.

Here is what they said. Painting a bumper cover is much different than painting sheet metal. Elastic Polymers must be added to the paint to allow it to flex with the bumper cover when hit, or as it expands and contracts due to temperature variations. A body shop, no matter how good, cannot give you the same quality paint finish on a flexible bumper cover as the original factory paint job.

A factory bumper paint job will flex if the bumper is hit, allowing the paint to absorb the hit without cracking. A re-painted bumper will not be able to absorb the same amount of flex, especially in cooler weather. So if the bumper is tapped, there will be a much higher likelihood that the paint will crack and chip.

They all recommended that I do not re-paint the bumper cover, and that if it was their car, they would not, especially considering the like new condition of my car (as yours now is also). Luckily, the scratches were minimal, and I was able to buff them out almost completely (and I got a $650 check for the damage :wiggle:). I am a perfectionist, so trust me, I got them out to the point that no one can see them.

You are essentially in the same situation (if the warp in not too bad). The future problems with a re-painted bumper may far outweigh the slight cosmetic defect you now have.

I have been told that the top of the bumper covers on our cars have some "3M type" tape which holds the top portion down to the bumper bar underneath. I know that my MKZ (Alloy Metallic Clearcoat) has a very slight lift in the same area of the rear bumper you are talking about. If I press it down, you can hear the tape catch, then it lets go a day or so later. Mine is not noticeable enough (at this point) to have them start messing around with. Maybe that tape has come loose under your bumper cover, and can just be replaced. At least in my opinion, this would be preferable to a re-painted bumper.

Perhaps you can stop at a local, high end body shop and ask the owner what he would do if it was his car, replace it with a re-painted bumper, or live with, repair the original bumper?

Of course, only you know just how noticeable your problem really is. Just think about the information I was given by the body shops I dealt with before you make a decision.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
476 Posts
mine did the same thing. There is an adhesive stip that holds the bumper down there and it lets go pretty much the first time you go though a car wash. Take it to the dealer and they will re-adhease (is that a word?) is. It is covered under warranty and takes them less than an hour to do... It needs to be a relatively warm (over freezing), dry day for them to do it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This sounds like good advice, my experience with re-painted bumper covers has been that the paint doesn't hold up nearly as well. On my 93 Probe I had the front repainted and within a year it looked like it had chicken pocs, there were soo many rock chips.

"Factory" bumpers aren't even painted at the factory. They're painted at the supplier where they can send them through special paint ovens and processes that you can't do once the part is on the car, so it's true that you will never get as good a paint job as the "factory".

That 3M tape is good stuff, I have some holding on the front license plate on my wife's Mariner since I didn't want to drill holes through that nice "aluminum" piece.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know I am waking up a very dead post here, but I am having the same problem. My 08 Fusion SEL is doing the same exact thing! The warping was much less noticeable when I purchased it with 14k miles, and wasn't even worth pointing out it was so small. Now, with alittle over 36k it has gotten really bad. It's buckled so much that the trunk edge is wearing the paint in one spot. People are all the time asking if I backed into something or if it has been hit. I just tell them that heat causes the plastic to warp because black gets hotter than most colors, because honestly that's what I thought myself was the culprit. I then started to assume this was a common problem with these cars. Because the other day at work, I traded for a 06 SE that had this same problem! That got me to thinking it wasn't because of heat warping the plastic because of color, on the account that the 06 was white. So sure enough, I got to snooping around on here to find an answer. With the help of the search box I found this! I drove my beater Lincoln to work today, so my Fusion is in the garage at home, and theres no way of looking at it until I get home late tonight. But I was just wondering if I would have to remove the bumper cover to re-tape it down, or is it possible to fix it without removal? And we don't have any 1st gens on the lot right now that I could look at. But the reason I ask is, my car has a body kit that is attached to the bottom of the bumper. I really DON'T want to have to remove the body kit if possible. I have a fear that it won't line back up correctly or something. What should I do guys? I'm VERY particular about my car and its looks.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=08FusionSEL link=topic=96184.msg4055346#msg4055346 date=1308772094]
I know I am waking up a very dead post here, but I am having the same problem. My 08 Fusion SEL is doing the same exact thing! The warping was much less noticeable when I purchased it with 14k miles, and wasn't even worth pointing out it was so small. Now, with alittle over 36k it has gotten really bad. It's buckled so much that the trunk edge is wearing the paint in one spot. People are all the time asking if I backed into something or if it has been hit. I just tell them that heat causes the plastic to warp because black gets hotter than most colors, because honestly that's what I thought myself was the culprit. I then started to assume this was a common problem with these cars. Because the other day at work, I traded for a 06 SE that had this same problem! That got me to thinking it wasn't because of heat warping the plastic because of color, on the account that the 06 was white. So sure enough, I got to snooping around on here to find an answer. With the help of the search box I found this! I drove my beater Lincoln to work today, so my Fusion is in the garage at home, and theres no way of looking at it until I get home late tonight. But I was just wondering if I would have to remove the bumper cover to re-tape it down, or is it possible to fix it without removal? And we don't have any 1st gens on the lot right now that I could look at. But the reason I ask is, my car has a body kit that is attached to the bottom of the bumper. I really DON'T want to have to remove the body kit if possible. I have a fear that it won't line back up correctly or something. What should I do guys? I'm VERY particular about my car and its looks.
[/quote]

Hi 08. :wavey: Last year, just before the 4 year/50,000 mile "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" expired on my MKZ, I brought it in for a few little Warranty issues. One was the slight warp or bulge in my rear bumper. Same situation you described, with the bulge slightly contacting the bottom of the trunk lid and lightly scuffing the paint in a ~2 to 3 inch line. Therefore, what I can tell you from experience is this: They removed the bumper cover, removed the old adhesive from the bumper-bar, properly cleaned and prepped the bumper-bar surface, installed new adhesive and reinstalled the bumper cover.

This is my opinion: While you may be able to lift the top/front edge of the bumper cover enough to get a few fingers in and force some 3M tape into the crevice, it would be a very difficult job to do correctly. And I would think it will be even more difficult (i.e. essentially near impossible) to completely remove the old adhesive and properly clean/prep the surface of the bumper-bar underneath, which will lead to the new tape failing prematurely.

In my opinion, especially since you state you are very particular about your car (as I am), I would take the extra effort to remove the bumper cover and do the job correctly.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok. Thanks for the help bbf. The guys in the shop are really good about helping me out with stuff on my car. I bet I could sweet talk em into helpin me with it. LOL Guess thats just a perk of being a Ford salesperson. lol Maybe it wont be to hard to fix. They probably have all the stuff to fix it with too. I'll keep ya updated on it. :goodjob:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts