FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2006 Ford Fusion SE. When I test drove it the other day, it wouldn't start. The dealer looked at it, sent it to the Ford Dealer and they attributed it to the key, so they had the key reprogrammed.

Site note: it started after about 10 tries - no turning over/click just you turned the key and nothing happened.

So the key got reprogrammed and I took the car home tonight. I went to move it just now and the same problem happened to me again. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this a known issue? Could it be something more serious such as the starter or something?

Also, I just noticed on the message center the reading "ODO Error"

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
yea, I probably would not have bought that car because if its messed up before its even off the lot, then id just think it was a sign of things to come.

Anyway, my Lincoln wouldnt start once. Also used to idle a little high when old, the trans started acting wierd, and some other little gremlins. The "odo error" is referring to your odometer being incorrect.

I think the issue ispretty simple. You probably just need a reflash. Thats what fixed ALL the issues in my car. This was pretty normal with the 06 and early 07 vehicles unfortunately and there is a TSB for it. Why they couldnt get the programming right the first time? I dont know. But check here for more info and make sure the dealer listens to you. They can be pretty hardheaded and make stuff more complicated than it needs to be(like keeping your car for extended periods of time). It only takes them about 10 minutes for the reflash by the way.

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=55641.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

Reason I bought it was because the dealer said it was a key programing error, and it's still under factory warranty, so I figured if it was a problem, it'd be fixed.

So you're saying goto the dealer and ask for a reflash with that TSB?

This is my first car that needs any type of reflashing/computer type stuff.. I've been driving a 98 durango around.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
yea, just tell them about the TSB and that you think thats the cause for the issue. They'll still do their normal checkover im sure but they should flash it for you and your car should be fine. Actually it will be better than fine. The reflash usually make the engine performance and trans shifting a lot better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really hope that's the problem, I love this car already, and it just happened to me again at the store!

Doesn't make a sound, nothing at all, just wont start!

·
Registered
613 Posts
It's pretty ironic that you bought a used car off the dealer without it having an up to date tune bin(or at least one that took care of the TSB issues.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer has it now. Says the problem is there aren't enough programmed key for the car. They're cutting and programing a new key now.

Said the car was throwing back 3 different key related error codes. Sound right?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You'll know after you get it back I guess. Ive noticed that ford dealerships pretty much do whatever they want first then if all else fails, the might listen to you. Since its throwing key codes then hopefully thats it. But if its not, give them hell. Seriously.

Either way, lets us know what happens.

P.S. They should be wiling to reflash the car for you anyway. It will make it run better even if its not the cause for the key issue. You can demand that they do it under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Hi all. :wavey: This is just a suggestion, but I would recommend that you don't "demand" anything (I'm sure Talisman didn't really mean "demand"). Nobody likes to deal with people who "demand" things.

Technically, a re-flash is not necessarily done automatically, unless the customer is having the specific problem that the re-flash addresses. Essentially the philosophy of "Don't fix it if it ain't broken".

If you want the latest re-flash performed on your car, this is what you need to do: Read the TSB that applies to your car (there are several, according to which engine you have and when your build date is) and note what the problems/symptoms are that the re-flash addresses. Then tell the Service Manager that you are having those problems. If necessary (only if you get stonewalled by the Service Manager), you can mention that you were told there was something called a "re-flash" in a "TSB" issued by Ford which "seems" to address the same problems you are having.

Speak to and deal with people as you would wish to be spoken to and dealt with. Again, just a suggestion.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=93561.msg1830093#msg1830093 date=1194136470]
Hi all. :wavey: This is just a suggestion, but I would recommend that you don't "demand" anything (I'm sure Talisman didn't really mean "demand"). Nobody likes to deal with people who "demand" things.

Technically, a re-flash is not necessarily done automatically, unless the customer is having the specific problem that the re-flash addresses. Essentially the philosophy of "Don't fix it if it ain't broken".

If you want the latest re-flash performed on your car, this is what you need to do: Read the TSB that applies to your car (there are several, according to which engine you have and when your build date is) and note what the problems/symptoms are that the re-flash addresses. Then tell the Service Manager that you are having those problems. If necessary (only if you get stonewalled by the Service Manager), you can mention that you were told there was something called a "re-flash" in a "TSB" issued by Ford which "seems" to address the same problems you are having.

Speak to and deal with people as you would wish to be spoken to and dealt with. Again, just a suggestion.

Good luck! :cheers:
[/quote]

lol, yea I dont mean be an @ss but I did kinda mean demand it. It's your car, you pay for it. You can tell them that you want blah blah blah done within reason. There are people on here who went to the dealer with no problems and asked for the reflash under warranty just for performance benefits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts