FordFusionClub.com banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
159 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation! I am kind of leery about taking it to the dealer about hearing about one put V in it instead of LV. May do it myself!!
If you do a drain and refill you are doing about 1/3 of the fluid each time (well, more, but then it mixes with the old stuff). That is a pretty safe amount, and as you mention you are not even to ford scheduled maintenance for normal conditions (not that I agree with it, 150k is a long time!).

If you want to do a full fluid change with draining it, you would need to do 3 separate drain and fills. It isn't a bad choice to do 1 drain and refills, Ford shows the 3 drain and refills for issues where you want to end with mostly new fluid.

With the 6F35 transmissions I do a single drain and refill every 60-80k miles, but this next time I will probably do it twice, maybe that third time. My vehicles don't have a dipstick and it is a bit harder to check the level after doing it that I hate doing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you do a drain and refill you are doing about 1/3 of the fluid each time (well, more, but then it mixes with the old stuff). That is a pretty safe amount, and as you mention you are not even to ford scheduled maintenance for normal conditions (not that I agree with it, 150k is a long time!).

If you want to do a full fluid change with draining it, you would need to do 3 separate drain and fills. It isn't a bad choice to do 1 drain and refills, Ford shows the 3 drain and refills for issues where you want to end with mostly new fluid.

With the 6F35 transmissions I do a single drain and refill every 60-80k miles, but this next time I will probably do it twice, maybe that third time. My vehicles don't have a dipstick and it is a bit harder to check the level after doing it that I hate doing it.
Thanks for the info and reply, yes my son had a 2009 malibu and I was shocked that it didn't have a tran dip-stick. It said you had to had to take off a tire and unscrew a plug and stick your finger in it or something ridiculous like that! I assume it has the 6F35 transmission because it says MERCON LV on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
159 Posts
Thanks for the info and reply, yes my son had a 2009 malibu and I was shocked that it didn't have a tran dip-stick. It said you had to had to take off a tire and unscrew a plug and stick your finger in it or something ridiculous like that! I assume it has the 6F35 transmission because it says MERCON LV on the dipstick.
That is exactly where I am at with mine. I think on the Escape I can check it through the wheel well with just turning the wheel, but my 2015 Fusion I have to measure the height of the wheel well, jack it up, take off the wheel, then lower it to "ride height" and remove a sight plug, and either let it drain out the excess, or add until it just starts to come out.

Reactions: lynx1021a
21 - 23 of 23 Posts