FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
The mechanic I went to put Merk 5 in my transmission. He put a cheap alternative. I have to have it redone. 06 ford Fusion S takes FRN5 Motorcraft. I will have to take him to small claims court. If you mechanic prints the invoice and it's not listed in what he used,you will have to insist he added.
It depends on what formulation of Mercon V (I am guessing that is what you mean by "Merk 5"?), the current non semi synthetic blend of Motorcraft Mercon V is a suitable fluid for those applications that call for FNR5 fluid. The Semi-synthetic says it is not for the FNR5 applications.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
They reformulated some Mercon V to be the replacement.

I get it, my 2000 Expedition with the 4R100 transmission says to use Mercon and not Mercon V, but now that they no longer produce or license Mercon, Mercon V is what is to be used.

• Use in automatic and manual transmissions and power steering systems previously serviced with MERCON. Also use in FNR5 transmissions previously serviced with FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid (XT-9-QMM5)

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
This is absolutely false. I have a '06 Fusion 2.3 Auto. I called a local Ford dealer and they said to use Mercon LV and to buy it from Mazda. Mazda made the 5 speed auto which is the same powertrain as a Mazda 6 sedan. LV stands for Low Viscosity which is specifically used for this transmission. The dipstick also reads ATF LV, to give you a hint. I'm fairly confident, from my research, Idemitsu manufacturers Mazda ATF fluid, which is what I purchased for my Fusion. It was significantly less expensive than factory fluid.
Back when this was posted, it was not false. In the 5 years since, they have reformulated Mercon V to meet the FNR5 spec.

I think you will find that maybe your dipstick said MV which is not Mercon V, but it again, it is not Mercon LV but Mercon V.

I would trust a Ford dealer for information for my 15 year old car...never.

I don't know if a low viscosity fluid in its place is good or not. I would guess not, but you already did it.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
As a matter of fact, the current data sheet/details for Mercon LV say not to use where FNR5 is called for...

• Do not use in applications where MERCON® ULV, MERCON® V, MERCON® SP (except TorqShift®), Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended, or in power take-off units

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation! I am kind of leery about taking it to the dealer about hearing about one put V in it instead of LV. May do it myself!!
If you do a drain and refill you are doing about 1/3 of the fluid each time (well, more, but then it mixes with the old stuff). That is a pretty safe amount, and as you mention you are not even to ford scheduled maintenance for normal conditions (not that I agree with it, 150k is a long time!).

If you want to do a full fluid change with draining it, you would need to do 3 separate drain and fills. It isn't a bad choice to do 1 drain and refills, Ford shows the 3 drain and refills for issues where you want to end with mostly new fluid.

With the 6F35 transmissions I do a single drain and refill every 60-80k miles, but this next time I will probably do it twice, maybe that third time. My vehicles don't have a dipstick and it is a bit harder to check the level after doing it that I hate doing it.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
Thanks for the info and reply, yes my son had a 2009 malibu and I was shocked that it didn't have a tran dip-stick. It said you had to had to take off a tire and unscrew a plug and stick your finger in it or something ridiculous like that! I assume it has the 6F35 transmission because it says MERCON LV on the dipstick.
That is exactly where I am at with mine. I think on the Escape I can check it through the wheel well with just turning the wheel, but my 2015 Fusion I have to measure the height of the wheel well, jack it up, take off the wheel, then lower it to "ride height" and remove a sight plug, and either let it drain out the excess, or add until it just starts to come out.

Reactions: lynx1021a
1 - 6 of 6 Posts