FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh...my gosh. PLEASE don't use Mercon LV in that transmission! The particular type of transmission you have is pretty sensitive and its life can be significantly shortened by using the wrong fluid! More so than simply not changing it! Transmission fluid is one of the most, if not THE most application specific fluids for any car, and yet somehow people just keep using these insanely general hydraulic fluids with 10 different coinciding additive packs and friction modifiers that people like to call "Multi-Vehicle" and "All makes, all models" ATF. Especially at higher miles on a presumably original fill, I'd only use the OEM spec fluid.

You've got the Mazda FNR5 transmission in your 2006 4-cyl Fusion. It is in no way, shape or form similar to the 6F35 in a 2010+ 2.5L/3.0L Fusion that would use Mercon LV. Ford has a specific fluid for the FNR5 called "FNR5" (creative, right?) Motorcraft P/N: XT-9-QMM5. It can also be found in the Mazda variant under Mazda P/N: 0000-77-112E-01. You can use whichever is cheaper in your area, or, just order it online. The Mazda-MV fluid is not an extremely advanced and modern fluid, it does require frequent (~30k-50k) maintenance to ensure long term reliability. If you've really gotten that much life out of one fill of M-V, I'd change it out ASAP.

The total capacity of the transmission is 7.1 quarts. I don't know how much comes out for each drain/fill. The best way is to make sure it's exactly at full and measure what comes out when draining. I'd say at least 2 drain/fills would be an excellent idea!

To be VERY clear, Mercon V and Mazda-MV are not the same fluids. That is why Ford's version of the product is named specifically for the transmission it goes in!

You will have a hard time finding a multi-vehicle ATF that actually says it meets Mazda-MV or M-V spec. The only one I found was Amsoil. They claim that their OE and Signature Series ATFs meet or exceed this specification. That's actually the only one I'd say wouldn't be terrible since they actually stand behind their claimed compatibility!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts