FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had no real issues until recently. It jerked a couple times and acted like it was slipping or at least losing power like some of the other newer cars have. It only did it a couple times and mostly runs fine. I have 140K miles on it and read that you shouldn't touch it with that many miles. But with the issue and the fact that the fluid is black(level is OK) do I go ahead and do it? I would do it myself. And if I do what fluid should I use? I hear the Mercon LV is recommended but doesn't last.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If it's black, then it's REALLY overdue. Also, it's EASY as hell to do. The transmissions on these cars actually have drain plugs for exactly this reason. I just did it on my 2010 with the 2.5, and it took all of an hour from start to finish, including removing and re-attaching the plastic splash guard.

What I did:

Get a clear or semi-translucent container that holds at least a gallon, preferably 1.5 gallons or more. Mark off in 1-quart increments.
Pick up a gallon (or two) of Valvoline MaxLife 'Multi-vehicle ATF' - It will say it's recommended for 'Mercon LV' among other things
Jack up car, or put on ramps
Remove under-car splash shield
find the transmission drain bolt
put container under where drain bolt is
remove drain bolt, and let drain until it is just dripping occasionally. Your clear catch container should be filled approximately to the 1-gallon mark. Make note of this position
Put drain bolt back in.. tighten to 108 inch-pounds.
Clean up underneath, and examine for any other damage.
re-mount splash shield
re-fill with MaxLife ATF, using the exact same amount as you drained into your clear container
take car off ramps, and leave running to check for leaks.
Drive car around enough to get it warmed up and check fill level hot, and top off as needed.

Done.. and your car should shift better and get better MPG.

This video here is a great one showing how to do it, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMoTqPBIyGw

Reactions: lynx1021a

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do it, with so many miles on it, can only do more good than bad. The reason people tend to not recommend fluid flush on older cars is because the seals might get cleaned up a little and start leaking. But if you've never had leaks or sweat spots, it's not really an issue IMHO. For it to start leaking because some gunk got cleaned off that gunk must have filled some leak in the first place. I would go with something that makes the seals swell a little bit with additives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh...my gosh. PLEASE don't use Mercon LV in that transmission! The particular type of transmission you have is pretty sensitive and its life can be significantly shortened by using the wrong fluid! More so than simply not changing it! Transmission fluid is one of the most, if not THE most application specific fluids for any car, and yet somehow people just keep using these insanely general hydraulic fluids with 10 different coinciding additive packs and friction modifiers that people like to call "Multi-Vehicle" and "All makes, all models" ATF. Especially at higher miles on a presumably original fill, I'd only use the OEM spec fluid.

You've got the Mazda FNR5 transmission in your 2006 4-cyl Fusion. It is in no way, shape or form similar to the 6F35 in a 2010+ 2.5L/3.0L Fusion that would use Mercon LV. Ford has a specific fluid for the FNR5 called "FNR5" (creative, right?) Motorcraft P/N: XT-9-QMM5. It can also be found in the Mazda variant under Mazda P/N: 0000-77-112E-01. You can use whichever is cheaper in your area, or, just order it online. The Mazda-MV fluid is not an extremely advanced and modern fluid, it does require frequent (~30k-50k) maintenance to ensure long term reliability. If you've really gotten that much life out of one fill of M-V, I'd change it out ASAP.

The total capacity of the transmission is 7.1 quarts. I don't know how much comes out for each drain/fill. The best way is to make sure it's exactly at full and measure what comes out when draining. I'd say at least 2 drain/fills would be an excellent idea!

To be VERY clear, Mercon V and Mazda-MV are not the same fluids. That is why Ford's version of the product is named specifically for the transmission it goes in!

You will have a hard time finding a multi-vehicle ATF that actually says it meets Mazda-MV or M-V spec. The only one I found was Amsoil. They claim that their OE and Signature Series ATFs meet or exceed this specification. That's actually the only one I'd say wouldn't be terrible since they actually stand behind their claimed compatibility!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I work for a valvoline quick oil change, I have 146k on my 2008 milan, I changed it about almost 10k miles ago, with the Valvoline ATF, We have a machine that pulls some out from the dipstick, then puts some in, and repeats this for about 6 qts then has you start the engine to get the converter spinning and then it will continue just as before until it has replaced all of the fluid. I have had good results, shifts very smooth, I also think im getting a little better gas mileage. good luck to you, its worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The mechanic I went to put Merk 5 in my transmission. He put a cheap alternative. I have to have it redone. 06 ford Fusion S takes FRN5 Motorcraft. I will have to take him to small claims court. If you mechanic prints the invoice and it's not listed in what he used,you will have to insist he added.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
The mechanic I went to put Merk 5 in my transmission. He put a cheap alternative. I have to have it redone. 06 ford Fusion S takes FRN5 Motorcraft. I will have to take him to small claims court. If you mechanic prints the invoice and it's not listed in what he used,you will have to insist he added.
It depends on what formulation of Mercon V (I am guessing that is what you mean by "Merk 5"?), the current non semi synthetic blend of Motorcraft Mercon V is a suitable fluid for those applications that call for FNR5 fluid. The Semi-synthetic says it is not for the FNR5 applications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Fusion manual says not to use Mercon V with FRN5 transmission. Only Motorcraft FNR5.I went to RockAuto and bought the Motorcraft FNR5 ATF. The Ford dealer says to use Mercon V ,but manual says NO. I have alot of miles on my car. I talked to the mechanic and he is going to drain out Mercon V ,and put Motorcraft FRN5 instead. The part # from the dealer is XT-9-QMM5,that's Mercon V. RickAuto is the same,but it says FRN5 Motorcraft on the front of the quart.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
They reformulated some Mercon V to be the replacement.

I get it, my 2000 Expedition with the 4R100 transmission says to use Mercon and not Mercon V, but now that they no longer produce or license Mercon, Mercon V is what is to be used.

• Use in automatic and manual transmissions and power steering systems previously serviced with MERCON. Also use in FNR5 transmissions previously serviced with FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid (XT-9-QMM5)

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
My Fusion manual says not to use Mercon V with FRN5 transmission. Only Motorcraft FNR5.I went to RockAuto and bought the Motorcraft FNR5 ATF. The Ford dealer says to use Mercon V ,but manual says NO. I have alot of miles on my car. I talked to the mechanic and he is going to drain out Mercon V ,and put Motorcraft FRN5 instead. The part # from the dealer is XT-9-QMM5,that's Mercon V. RickAuto is the same,but it says FRN5 Motorcraft on the front of the quart.
Hi james. You have asked the Dealer and Rock Auto. However, what I would recommend is eliminating the chance of error, going directly to the source, taking out your Owners Manual, going to the Maintenance and Specifications section, and taking the recommended fluid specification directly from there.

Then, if the old fluid has been replaced with a newer spec, as bangster states, you are working with the correct information, which you can trust, because you have researched it yourself.
Then purchase a transmission fluid that clearly states on the container that it "Meets and or exceeds the 'XXXXXXXXX' specification".

If you do not have your hard copy, you can download the PDF version of your Owners Manual here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks! I just happened to purchase a manual for my 06 Fusion S .Ford Motor Company, in my opinion doesn't care. RockAuto is right on! The manual makes it clear. The mechanic made a mistake. It's not his fault. I went with Haynes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh...my gosh. PLEASE don't use Mercon LV in that transmission! The particular type of transmission you have is pretty sensitive and its life can be significantly shortened by using the wrong fluid! More so than simply not changing it! Transmission fluid is one of the most, if not THE most application specific fluids for any car, and yet somehow people just keep using these insanely general hydraulic fluids with 10 different coinciding additive packs and friction modifiers that people like to call "Multi-Vehicle" and "All makes, all models" ATF. Especially at higher miles on a presumably original fill, I'd only use the OEM spec fluid.

You've got the Mazda FNR5 transmission in your 2006 4-cyl Fusion. It is in no way, shape or form similar to the 6F35 in a 2010+ 2.5L/3.0L Fusion that would use Mercon LV. Ford has a specific fluid for the FNR5 called "FNR5" (creative, right?) Motorcraft P/N: XT-9-QMM5. It can also be found in the Mazda variant under Mazda P/N: 0000-77-112E-01. You can use whichever is cheaper in your area, or, just order it online. The Mazda-MV fluid is not an extremely advanced and modern fluid, it does require frequent (~30k-50k) maintenance to ensure long term reliability. If you've really gotten that much life out of one fill of M-V, I'd change it out ASAP.

The total capacity of the transmission is 7.1 quarts. I don't know how much comes out for each drain/fill. The best way is to make sure it's exactly at full and measure what comes out when draining. I'd say at least 2 drain/fills would be an excellent idea!

To be VERY clear, Mercon V and Mazda-MV are not the same fluids. That is why Ford's version of the product is named specifically for the transmission it goes in!

You will have a hard time finding a multi-vehicle ATF that actually says it meets Mazda-MV or M-V spec. The only one I found was Amsoil. They claim that their OE and Signature Series ATFs meet or exceed this specification. That's actually the only one I'd say wouldn't be terrible since they actually stand behind their claimed compatibility!

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
This is absolutely false. I have a '06 Fusion 2.3 Auto. I called a local Ford dealer and they said to use Mercon LV and to buy it from Mazda. Mazda made the 5 speed auto which is the same powertrain as a Mazda 6 sedan. LV stands for Low Viscosity which is specifically used for this transmission. The dipstick also reads ATF LV, to give you a hint. I'm fairly confident, from my research, Idemitsu manufacturers Mazda ATF fluid, which is what I purchased for my Fusion. It was significantly less expensive than factory fluid.
Back when this was posted, it was not false. In the 5 years since, they have reformulated Mercon V to meet the FNR5 spec.

I think you will find that maybe your dipstick said MV which is not Mercon V, but it again, it is not Mercon LV but Mercon V.

I would trust a Ford dealer for information for my 15 year old car...never.

I don't know if a low viscosity fluid in its place is good or not. I would guess not, but you already did it.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
As a matter of fact, the current data sheet/details for Mercon LV say not to use where FNR5 is called for...

• Do not use in applications where MERCON® ULV, MERCON® V, MERCON® SP (except TorqShift®), Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended, or in power take-off units

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every trans I have ever heard of having the fluid and filter changed, lost at least 1 gear within a month and I'm really worried about if I should do it on my 09 2.3L Fusion. Ive never owned this new of a Car and I'm worried im going to kill it. . please help...

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
Every trans I have ever heard of having the fluid and filter changed, lost at least 1 gear within a month and I'm really worried about if I should do it on my 09 2.3L Fusion. Ive never owned this new of a Car and I'm worried im going to kill it. . please help...
Hi D. I had the transmission fluid professionally flushed and filled at ~100,000 miles in my 2007 MKZ with the 3.5L engine and Aisin transmission. Now has ~110,000 miles with absolutely no issues.
Filter is in the transmission, so no filter change.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2010 Ford Fusion SE, it has 147,000 miles on it, Manual says to change at 150,000. My dipstick says Mercon LV only. I'm worried I am going to kill it if I change the fluid??

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
I have a 2010 Ford Fusion SE, it has 147,000 miles on it, Manual says to change at 150,000. My dipstick says Mercon LV only. I'm worried I am going to kill it if I change the fluid??
Hi lynx. As mentioned above, my opinion would be to change the fluid. Perhaps not have it flushed, but definitely change it.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi lynx. As mentioned above, my opinion would be to change the fluid. Perhaps not have it flushed, but definitely change it.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thanks for the recommendation! I am kind of leery about taking it to the dealer about hearing about one put V in it instead of LV. May do it myself!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts