FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 07 fusion with 16" wheels, I dislike the narrow 205/60/16 tires. They roll far too easy and don't offer the ride I like. I prefer a bit more road feel and NO tire roll. I am a sports car guy and have had several Trans Am's with 245/50/16's that offered a ride that I liked and had very little roll.

I DO NOT want to go with a bigger wheel, I don't like big wheels, think they look silly and aren't road friendly.

I am curious if anyone has used a wider 16" tire and how far I can go. I'm sure I could probably get away with a 225/50/16 but how about a 245/50/16 or possibly a 245/45/16? I don't want to go with too low of a profile because I drive somewhat aggressively and live in Michigan with millions of potholes and craters.

I'm not concerned about speedometer calibrations or any of that since I am a Ford technician and have a scan tool that can change tire parameters, plus I have a performance programmer for the car which can also set tire size by .25" increments.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
[quote author=hgffrank link=topic=185957.msg3927228#msg3927228 date=1297102242]
I have 07 fusion with 16" wheels, I dislike the narrow 205/60/16 tires. They roll far too easy and don't offer the ride I like. I prefer a bit more road feel and NO tire roll. I am a sports car guy and have had several Trans Am's with 245/50/16's that offered a ride that I liked and had very little roll.

I DO NOT want to go with a bigger wheel, I don't like big wheels, think they look silly and aren't road friendly.

I am curious if anyone has used a wider 16" tire and how far I can go. I'm sure I could probably get away with a 225/50/16 but how about a 245/50/16 or possibly a 245/45/16? I don't want to go with too low of a profile because I drive somewhat aggressively and live in Michigan with millions of potholes and craters.

I'm not concerned about speedometer calibrations or any of that since I am a Ford technician and have a scan tool that can change tire parameters, plus I have a performance programmer for the car which can also set tire size by .25" increments.
[/quote]

Hi hgffrank. :wavey: Since you state that speedometer/odometer calibrations are not factors, then are we safe to assume that your only sizing concerns would be "Does it fit..." and "How will it look..." (other than the type of tire, but that is up to your own personal preference)?

If that is correct, then your only worries are does a particular size fit your current wheel width (I believe the 16" wheels are 6.5" wide) and how will it look. In other words, if you care how they will look, will it properly fill out the wheelwell or look ridiculously small, diameter-wise.

From a strictly "will it fit" point of view, all of the sizes you mention will fit in the Fusion wheelwell with no problems. However, according to the individual tire, the 245's may be on the wide side for the Fusion factory 16" wheel. But that can/will vary slightly by tire/manufacturer. You can find the recommended wheel width size for all tires either on the particular tire manufacturers website, or a sellers site such as The Tire Rack.

You can find the answers to the overall diameter/fit question (will it fill out the wheelwell/look okay) by using this Tire Size Calculator tool: www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html Just compare the size of your factory tires to the ones you are thinking of purchasing.

For example, a 245/50-16 tire will almost exactly match the stock diameter. The 225/50-16 will look small in the wheelwell. The 245/45-16 will also look small in the wheelwell. But either way, with the 245's you will need to check the tire manufacturers specs on the particular model of tire you are contemplating to be sure they can be mounted on a 16" wheel (I have not checked, since it may/can/will vary by tire).

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
245's will look like an overblown balloon on a stock 16. Its way to narrow of a rim to run that wide of a tire. As for road friendly, have you realistically driven/ridden in a car with 18's and a 45 series tire? I have yet to notice a difference in the road going from the stock 16 to the sport 18's and neither has anyone who has ridden in it. But if you are firm with staying on the stock 16's IMO your best bet is to stay in the 225 or lower area, anything more and the tire will start to look like when a kid wears his dads coat.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=185957.msg3927292#msg3927292 date=1297105209]
245's will look like an overblown balloon on a stock 16. Its way to narrow of a rim to run that wide of a tire. As for road friendly, have you realistically driven/ridden in a car with 18's and a 45 series tire? I have yet to notice a difference in the road going from the stock 16 to the sport 18's and neither has anyone who has ridden in it. But if you are firm with staying on the stock 16's IMO your best bet is to stay in the 225 or lower area, anything more and the tire will start to look like when a kid wears his dads coat.
[/quote]

Hi hggfrank. :wavey: Since you emphatically stated "I DO NOT want to go with a bigger wheel" (your caps), I kept my opinion to myself. But since the can of worms is now open, figured I would mention that I agree with Kenny above concerning the way 245's will look on the factory 16" wheel. In addition, the added weight/width of the needlessly wide tire will adversely affect performance and handling.

If you are dead set on keeping your factory 16's, then the best compromise would probably be a 225/55-16 tire. It will give you the added width you want and the 55 ratio sidewall will give a bit more cushioning for those Michigan roads with little to no adverse affects. In addition, it will fill in the wheelwell (aesthetically/diameter-wise) as well as the factory 205/60's.

In the meantime, you can experiment with tire sizes in the Tire Size Calculator Tool I linked to and see how other tires will fit.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
As a second thought you should not only look into the size, but you might also want to look into some more stiffer sidewalled tires if you don't want the roll, because if you get a soft sidewall (stock tires) with a larger size you will still get the tire roll maybe a little less but it will still be there for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Hi hggfrank. :wavey: On a hunch, did some quick research at The Tire Rack, since they have a very wide selection of tires.

The bottom line? You would be severely limited in a 245/45 or 245/50-16 size choice. Essentially, almost all tires available in a 245/45-16 size are track, competition or summer only ultra high performance tires. The 245/50 size give you a few more selections in the various All-Season Ultra High Performance, High Performance and Grand Touring categories, but not many.

There are many more choices in the 225/55-16 or other 225/...-16 sizes.

Of course, there may be other tire sellers with inventory/brands/models that The Tire Rack does not carry, but I think The Tire Racks inventory will be pretty representative of what you will find out there.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I apologize for not giving all the necessary info earlier, I was at work and just kinda jumped on quick. I do not care about all season tires, I dont use them, I have a spare set of steelies with winter tires so on the stock wheels I only need summer, or at worst an all-season with little consideration to snow/mud. This gives me a lot more options for the stock wheels.

Dont take it the wrong way but being a Ford technician, I see way too many of the upsize wheels bent or otherwise damaged, and few 16's with the same problems.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm thinking the 245/50's probably would look slightly too big on the car, I just liked them because I could pull .94 g on the skid pad with them when I had them on my TA which had a 2" drop and tons of performance suspension goodies. And that was with Avon techM550 tires which were not the best but capable and cheap at $95 ea..

Maybe I'll look for something in the 225 area. As far as the stock 205/60's I really think the car looks anemic with them, thats some of the reason for wanting more width. Problem is that when I looked at some of the 225's the tread width wasnt any wider than the 205's which is what got me thinking about the 245's.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I have 215/55/60 winter tires on my stock 16's, and they are the largest I would go on that skinny of a wheel. 225's might work, but anything wider will just look too wide, and have a "muffin top" :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Guys, I've tried searching and have not had any luck finding a yes/no.

Will 17" rims from a Ford 500 fit on my 07 Fusion AWD? I did lookup and find that the bolt pattern is the same, so I'm thinking yes, but have only found confirmation that they will fit on a Taurus. A guy has a set of rims and tires for sale on a local Buy, Sell, Swap page. They are the stock 7 'spoke' that the Freestyle also uses.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Guys, I've tried searching and have not had any luck finding a yes/no.

Will 17" rims from a Ford 500 fit on my 07 Fusion AWD? I did lookup and find that the bolt pattern is the same, so I'm thinking yes, but have only found confirmation that they will fit on a Taurus. A guy has a set of rims and tires for sale on a local Buy, Sell, Swap page. They are the stock 7 'spoke' that the Freestyle also uses.

Thanks!
The Ford 500 has a smaller hub size than the Fusion, so it will not fit your car. The Taurus also has the smaller hub size, same as the 500.

The 500 and Taurus hub size is 63.4 mm, and the Fusion hub size is 67.1 mm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to swap out my 18" OEM rims with some 16" steel rims on my 09 Fusion. Mainly due to cost for new tires as well as a preference for a wider sidewall. Would 225/60/R16s work for a Fusion?

Also would center caps like these from a Crown Vic work on our cars? I'm not sure if we have the same lug nut pattern or not. I'm thinking of painting the steel rims the same color as the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts