FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a pretty fragmented forum, so I'll just jot down a few thoughts about the new car here.

Picked up a black on black leather SEL V6 this week. Leather/Sound/Moonroof are the only options. I was looking for a leather only (just a daily driver - almost completely stripped) SEL but that was pretty hard to find. I got a great deal so the Audiophile and moonroof are welcome -- very nice. Overall a great buying experience, got a killer deal. Possibly since there were a few imperfections that the dealer has agreed to fix, I'm taking it back in next week for a few days to make it perfect. The headliner was pulling away from the moonroof opening on the passenger side just a little, there was a very tiny (1/16") scratch on the driver's door handle, and the trunk lid gap was slightly off center. Gaps on the rest of the car are perfect. Also had a dealer sticker, but I can peel that off easy enough.

The following are little things I noticed, but in no way overshadow the other thousand great features of this car. By far the best choice for me in this class of car I could find.

Nit-picky small problems/comments:

-It seems just a little underpowered, but I knew having such low torque it would feel that way. I have no reason to want any more in my 4-door daily driver, and it is all I'll ever need for work and groceries. If I want more the Stang is in the garage.

-The taillights make me cringe every time I see them. I hate rice in all forms, domestic rice being no exception. If I wanted taillights like that, I'd buy a Honda, put a fart-pipe muffler on it, and clad it in 50 pounds of vinyl tape. Lots of neon and huge ugly wheels, of course. And $5k in mods to beat a stock Mustang by a nose. I just don't get that crowd and the taillights remind me of it. I Photoshopped some tint on the outer chrome regions and it looks much classier. I might go that route if I read up on tint spray.

-The trunk deck, like others have mentioned is high and scary to back up at night. However it adds to the overall shape and look on the car, and I wouldn't trade it if it made the exterior lines flow differently. It's hands-down the sexiest looking car in the cheap mid-size sedan class.

-The headlights are below average for any car made in the last decade. My '91 Mustang's lights are so out-dated that I'm always impressed when I drive any new car. These just don't stack up. The brights are AMAZING though. I'm not a world-record holder for world's greatest night vision, so good light projection is nice. I'm sure I'll go the ~4k - 5k PID route soon. Bright but stock looking. Still no high-school ultra blue look, please.

-A car made in 2007 without standard ABS? I've rarely had cars with ABS and don't need it, but that just struck me as odd. No big deal, I didn't want to pay for it anyway.

-The lock/unlock picture on the doorhadle and my keys are very small and similar, and make me look extra close. After the first week this won't be a problem anyway, of course. It will be habit.

-Speaking of the key, how to you start the car without hitting a button on the key? It's possible, but very awkward. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

-The SE wheels are one of the few reason I went with the SEL. I really like the extra amenities now that I realize you really do get what you pay for. I'd go SEL again now that I know. But the SE wheels look SO CHEAP/UGLY and plastic-y.... well I just couldn't handle them, or I might be in as SE now. I considered an SE + aftermarket wheels, but it IS my daily driver and I don't understand putting bling-bling rims on a 4-door sedan. Again, I can't help but compare myself to a 16 year old with a Civic and 20" rims and... meh...

-The Ford emblem on the grill is the size of Jupiter. If I could buy an aftermarket grill that was exactly the same, but with no Ford, I would. I Photoshopped this as well. Much better.

The Good:

-Absolutely everything else. Keep in mind that the list above was difficult to come up with. This car is VERY quiet, comfortable, and handles like a much smaller car.

-The Audiophile sounds system is great. Unless I ever need the people next to me to feel my bass to boost my pride, I don't understand why I would need any upgrades. I'll be spending a lot of time in the car and this will really be a welcome feature.

-The leather isn't as cheap as I thought it would be. Not being a Lexus/Mercedes etc, I expected the leather to naturally be cheap. But to be honest, I went with the leather because the cloth seemed cheaper-that-normal looking to me, and I'm very satisfied.

-Similarly, the interior isn't as plastic-y cheap feeling as some lower-end cars. The piano black and vinyl parts don't cheapen my experience at all, and overall I don't understand why some people think Ford needs to "take interior cues" from cars 5k-20k more. Keeping things in perspective, the interior is the way it is because it's about a $20k car. A hell of a bargain.

-The lack of torque-steer could be due to the lack of power, and the understeer that I just expected never really happened. I've never driven a Mazda 6, but I can see why they would re-use the platform.

-It's JUUUST adult enough of a car that I don't see kids putting a 7-tiered wing on the trunk anytime soon. Just driving the same car that inspires such irrational idiocy makes me sad, so we'll call this an anticipated benefit. It's hard to explain, but you probably get my personality by now. I'm all about things being tastefully done, so I hope this car never gets the stigma I relate with other imports.

You'd think Ford would have plugged the gaping hole in this market long ago. I'm sure the crack has been showering them for years -- good job!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congrats on your new Fusion! I would however get your windows tinted before summer hits. I also have the black leather and I'm telling you, OUCH!! when it gets hot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice... I've certainly been planning on it. It probably doesn't help that I'm moving to Phoenix next week!! :)

I'll be researching the "dots" issue and hopefully get that figured out by June!

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=Scape2 link=topic=66806.msg1147859#msg1147859 date=1168709197]
Congrats on your new Fusion! I would however get your windows tinted before summer hits. I also have the black leather and I'm telling you, OUCH!! when it gets hot...
[/quote]
Scape,
We have a new (800 miles) '07 SEL AWD Oxford white with all black leather interior. I am concerned about summer's heat and rays. How much did you pay for your tint job? What's a reasonable ballpark figure? I just don't want to be ripped off. How much did you tint? Dumb question (another one) but the tint is not effected by cleaning solutions is it? Is the tint placed on the inside or outside? Is it just film or is it a chemical process? Boz, curious in Salisbury (Smallsberry), MD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is the first thing I do when I buy a new car. Those uv rays are hell on the upholstery. I always get the legal tint. I opt for the 35%. Other tints are not legal in all states and to be on the safe side I obey the law. The tint of course is on the inside of the car. I do not use cleaning agents that have ammonia in them. Also I tint the front windshield at the top with a 6" strip because of the glare factor. If you click on the picture I have of my car,you can see the tint. It is not as dark as it looks in the picture.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Tint costed me about $250 for all 4 windows and rear in 35% tint. Remember to obey your state laws or you will get hit by a ticket. I had this done after I took the Fusion into Central Oregon on a 95 degree day and we were pretty uncomfortable until the car cooled down. We had to put towels on the seats just to sit down! [email protected] That next week I got my windows tinted and what a huge difference in interior cabin temperature along with being able to sit on the black leather seats. Just call around and try to find a reputable shop that does tinting and has been around for at minimum 5 years. I found one that was around for about 20 and did about 15 dealerships so I felt comfortable using them. Good hunting..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi, Ask your dealership who they use & that will be a good starting point. Get your side windows all the same level, 35 % is really nice. If you can, go 20 % on the rear window. Don't worry about the "dots" at the top, a good tint shop can cover them with no problem. Figure around $200 total. Always use a NON-amonnia window cleaner, or that says "tint window safe", Mother's & Eagle One make some really nice, reasonably priced ( $ 4 ) & locally available, there are many others too. Good luck & ENJOY !!!
This is the 1st mod I ALWAYS do on my Mustangs, for pratical & appearance reasons, a win - win situation. I think it's the best mod you can do for any car :D
I'm thinking about getting a Fusion 3.0L SEL, loaded ( no AWD, NAVi, Sirius ), everything else, Audiophile, spoiler & moonroof too ! Want Dark Blue Pearl & Light Stone Leather, I'll probably have to order her. Retire my 2004 GT Prem. to a storage unit, I only have a 1 car garage. :(
Almost forgot, DON'T forget molded splash gaurds, these make a HUGE difference on Mustangs, get near zero rock chips on lower panels. About $100-125 dealer installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts