FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ford Fusion SEL 1.5L Ecoboost
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has problem be asked a million times...so don’t hate me to much...
That being said I’m installing 2kicker 12” with a kicker amp. At this point I have power and ground both ran. I’ve tapped into the rear speaker with my line out converter. This is where I’ve ran into an issue. The LOC didn’t come with a remote wire so now I’ve bought a fuse tap from the local parts store.
So now to my question. Does anyone know which fuse I should tap into for a 12v switch for my remote wire. As leaving a constant hot from the battery just isn’t something I’m interested in.
2019 Fusion SEL 1.5 ecoboost. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
That being said I’m installing 2kicker 12” with a kicker amp. At this point I have power and ground both ran. I’ve tapped into the rear speaker with my line out converter. This is where I’ve ran into an issue. The LOC didn’t come with a remote wire so now I’ve bought a fuse tap from the local parts store.
So now to my question. Does anyone know which fuse I should tap into for a 12v switch for my remote wire. As leaving a constant hot from the battery just isn’t something I’m interested in.
Hi N3FAR. Since fuse specs can vary from model year to model year, your best course of action may be to check the fuse box lists and diagrams in your Owners Manual for a suitable fuse to tap. Just look in the Index under "Fuses" for the correct pages in your copy. If you do not have your hard copy, you can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi N3FAR. Since fuse specs can vary from model year to model year, your best course of action may be to check the fuse box lists and diagrams in your Owners Manual for a suitable fuse to tap. Just look in the Index under "Fuses" for the correct pages in your copy. If you do not have your hard copy, you can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

So let me start by thanking you for the link.
Now I would like to potentially pick your brain a little more.
I followed the link and found the fuse and method I feel should work be clean and not for lack of a better term mess anything up.

so I’m thinking since this is for my sub amplifier can I tap into 5 on the passenger side panel with one of these

then put the fuse from that slot into the tap and then crimp the remote wire in there. As I would think that slot would only power on with key.
(sorry for all the questions normally when I install a system I swap the deck but I didn’t see a point as the stock touch screen is fine for me)
Thanks again for any tips or tricks you might have.
If all goes well I should have pics posted tomorrow evening sometime.

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
Hi N3F. You are very welcome. And as long as it is a switched fuse (probably is), seems like a good plan.

Only one note: You said "passenger side fuse panel". I just want to make it clear that while it is called the "passenger compartment fuse panel", it is located on the drivers side of the car in the "passenger compartment" (the inside of the car). Trust me, people have been confused about that in the past and spent a day looking for a fuse panel on the passenger side of the car, before coming back here to ask "Where the he-- is the passenger compartment fuse panel?". ;)

It is located approximately in the area above the drivers side kick panel, to the left of the steering wheel, up under the dashboard. I find the easiest way to access it is to put your drivers seat all the way back, then lay down in the drivers footwell on your back (legs outside the car). Bring a small flashlight with you, so you don't need to get up and out to go get one...lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi N3F. You are very welcome. And as long as it is a switched fuse (probably is), seems like a good plan.

Only one note: You said "passenger side fuse panel". I just want to make it clear that while it is called the "passenger compartment fuse panel", it is located on the drivers side of the car in the "passenger compartment" (the inside of the car). Trust me, people have been confused about that in the past and spent a day looking for a fuse panel on the passenger side of the car, before coming back here to ask "Where the he-- is the passenger compartment fuse panel?". ;)

It is located approximately in the area above the drivers side kick panel, to the left of the steering wheel, up under the dashboard. I find the easiest way to access it is to put your drivers seat all the way back, then lay down in the drivers footwell on your back (legs outside the car). Bring a small flashlight with you, so you don't need to get up and out to go get one...lol.

Hey buddy it was a pain in the butt to get to but I got it I ended up going in the 1 slot as it wasn’t used and it was the only my tap would fit. But powers on off with the key sounds great I’ll post up some pics after I’m done cleaning up

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
Hey buddy it was a pain in the butt to get to but I got it I ended up going in the 1 slot as it wasn’t used and it was the only my tap would fit. But powers on off with the key sounds great I’ll post up some pics after I’m done cleaning up
Hi N3F. That is great! Happy to hear you were able to get it done!

And yes, that passenger compartment fuse panel certainly is a pain to get to. Would have been nice if they had designed it behind a hinged door, like some of my past Lincoln/Ford/Mercury cars. I recall one of my cars actually had it designed as a drawer that hinged out when you pressed a tab on the door cover. That was a great design.

Hope you remembered the flashlight and everything you needed before you got in on your back. ;)
I've made that mistake in the past, and had to get back up and out after I got myself in there...and am not as nimble as I used to be. 🙃

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi N3F. That is great! Happy to hear you were able to get it done!

And yes, that passenger compartment fuse panel certainly is a pain to get to. Would have been nice if they had designed it behind a hinged door, like some of my past Lincoln/Ford/Mercury cars. I recall one of my cars actually had it designed as a drawer that hinged out when you pressed a tab on the door cover. That was a great design.

Hope you remembered the flashlight and everything you needed before you got in on your back. ;)
I've made that mistake in the past, and had to get back up and out after I got myself in there...and am not as nimble as I used to be. 🙃

Good luck.
For starters thanks again for the wealth of information provided to make this install possible.
(Note: I did make some personal decisions and cut a few corners)
So without further ado...the install.
First corner cut straight away I opted to run through the quarter panel as opposed to the firewall just to save time and there is no kind of damage that I noticed
For a remote wire I used a wire tap like this
Note:BOTH fuses that came with the wire tap had to be used to trigger the remote wire correctly

I tapped into the slot on the passenger side fuse panel
NOTE: This is located driver side to the left of the steering column NOT the passenger side.
The red wire coming out of the tap connects to the remote wire a bit further down out of view.

I ran the power and the remote down the driver side and out through the trunk

for the ground I found what I thought was an amp but may be a control for the emergency brake BEHIND that is a ground screw this is located in the rear passenger quarter panel

and then finally the last cut corner the line output converter

Since this is a sub install I just bridged the left and right channels on the LOC and tied them into the rear deck speakers still have to do a little finishing work.
As far as functionality. The remote wire works as it should on off with the key. No humming no loud pops when the car comes on. I’ve noticed that the amp because I have a push start WILL remain on until the door opens then when that happens it will cut the amp. Also with the remote start the amp won’t kick on until the push start button is hit.
Again thanks for all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I followed the link and found the fuse and method I feel should work be clean and not for lack of a better term mess anything up.
View attachment 105481
so I’m thinking since this is for my sub amplifier can I tap into 5 on the passenger side panel with one of these
View attachment 105482
then put the fuse from that slot into the tap and then crimp the remote wire in there. As I would think that slot would only power on with key.
(sorry for all the questions normally when I install a system I swap the deck but I didn’t see a point as the stock touch screen is fine for me)
I put it in the 5 slot and it didn’t turn off when the car was off so would the 4 slot work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put it in the 5 slot and it didn’t turn off when the car was off so would the 4 slot work?
Did you use both fuses that were supplied with the fuse tap. When I did this I did it with one fuse at first and had the same problem. I took it back out and put both fuses in the fuse tap and then put it back in the 5 slot and it worked. I’m not sure if the 4 slot would work and I traded that car in so I can not try it for you and let you know.
Hope this is helpful
P.s it actually won’t turn off until you open the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 105481
View attachment 105482
I don’t have one of those. Can I just use a singular fuse?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t have one of those. Can I just use a singular fuse?
That I’m not sure on but I do believe if you are connecting to the factory radio having the fuse tap will be the easiest cleanest way to not mess anything up.
Not a professional so just speaking from my personal install and the research I did.
I think the fuse tap is only 6-7 dollars at your local part store

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 105481
View attachment 105482
Is there not a single switched fuse in the fuse box there? Like at all

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there not a single switched fuse in the fuse box there? Like at all
How are you going to tap into it without a fuse tap though? There has to be a way to connect the fuse to the fuse box that’s where the fuse tap comes in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts