FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to wire up my monitor (from the car video thread) without using the car cig adapter. It uses 12V 1amp. Anyone have any ideas of wiring this up correctly? Ive seen posts about taking aprt the cig adapter and wiring it up that way but i wanted to make sure i am doing it correctly without shorting anything.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah and to go a step further, instead of hooking up a portable dvd player, i was going to get one of those slim PS2s... I know i need a dc/ac power inverter but id like to do a clean install with everything so there are no power cords... Any ideas?

One idea I had was to mount (velcro) a power inverter in the center console and plug it in to the cig lighter in there... mount (velcro) the PS2 under the passanger seat and run the power cord and video cord up through the bottom of the center console so it is completely hidden. Then run the video cord through the center console up to behind the dash and have it come out at the top of the dashboard compartment hinge into the monitor. Then buy a wireless rf controller for games / dvds.

A portable DVD player is just as expensive as a PS2... the PS2 plays dvds and games is its a better deal i think.

Scratch that... doesnt look like there is enough room. poopshkabob.

G

·
Mount the power inverter under your chair, and the Slim PS2 under the passenger chair. Then just run cable wire from the battery to the power inverter, boom your done. Also if you have fish tape, I believe you can fish the cords underneath the carpet between the two chairs. Kind of complicated but it would be a clean install, and be awesome. I did this in my old truck, worked out great.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah you cant install the slim ps2 underneath the seat because the cd tray doesnt pop out of the unit. A lid lifts up and you place the cd/dvd on the top so it would almost be impossible to get it in if the ps2 was underneath the seat.

I installed everything but its not totally complete yet. I gotta wire up the sound so i dont have to swith rca between my ipod and the ps2. i think i will move my power inverter from the arm rest to underneath the seat too.

If i choose to do that, can i wire up the power inverter directly behind the cig lighter so it is completely hidden? Anyone see any problems with wiring it directly to the 12V?

I'll post some pics when im done today. the monitor is all installed too, but i didnt make it rise up when you open the dashboard (lol i dont know how to fabricate a mount for that)

·
Registered
153 Posts
You really shoud wire up those devices to switched power. In other words, so they will turn off automatically when the car is off. You would need to use a relay in order to do this.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the inverter has a on/off switch, just as if you were to plug it into the cig-lighter. instead of pluging it in im wiring it up behind the cig-lighter so it is completely hidden. I could wire it up to the accessory so no matter what it turns off, just as my sub and monitor and radio.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some pics :)

Boy I wish i had $600 to have an indash unit but since this didnt cost me a dime, im gonna stick with it for a while. I already had the pxdx2 for my ipod, i got the screen for free, the ps2 i never used and the inverter i already had too. its a no brainer! The wiring is completely hidden except for the inverter which is temporarly in the arm rest, and you can close the glove box while the ps2 is running (wireless controllers)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts