FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like both these cars. I was very surprised by how well the Fusion felt and handled. The main reason I'm considering this car is the awd (we get lots of ice and snow here). I tested it in the rain, and going wot from a stop was a blast. There was no wheelspin at all. However, I did feel the car was quite a bit underpowered.

The Impala acceleration was really fun going from a stop or a roll (regardless of tq steer). But of course it has no handling and no awd.

Have you been happy with your 3.0 power?
How is it when merging into traffic with people in the car and the ac on?
What do you think about the awd? Will it be reliable or should I wait possibly another year for them to work the kinks out of it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
AWD is generally less reliable than other systems but can be worth it for many people myself and possibly yourself included. I'm happy with the 3.0 power. Its not the fastest but it gets the job done. Today with three (big) guys in the car and the ac on I was able to get up to 60 very quickly (from stand still) although I did have the engine revved up to 6-7k (sounded great) loads of power is useless without handling and good brakes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Impala SS does have more power and torque than the Fusion, but it will never be as smooth and refined. After all, that is a truck engine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Never drove an SS with the V8, but the 3.9L V6 is a smooth engine with very good power- at least compared with the Ford 3.0. Personally I'm not at all impressed with the Duratec, but overall I prefer the Fusion to the Impala. There's a short preview I did on an Impala rental under the consumer reviews/comparision section.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far!

Keep'em coming. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
If i had the chance to trade my fusion for the SS i'd do it. However, in your situation I think you should go with the fusion because the snow and such. The car will have slightly more power when it breaks in remember that. Plus if you ever hit ice the SS wouldn't handle well at all and the AWD fusion will give you a much better fighting chance.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If youru main decision point is snow and ice handling, then the difference between these two cars is far less than the difference between stock tires and good winter tires.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I recommend the Fusion. I test drove an Impala SS the day before I got my Fusion and while I was impressed with the get up and go, it couldn't handle nearly as well as the Fusion. The 3.0 has always been more than fast enough for the SAFE driving that I do but I only have FWD, not AWD. I don't know exactly how much AWD will slow the car down (based on personal experience, having never driven an AWD Fusion) but I would take AWD in slippery conditions over a 303HP FWD car, anyday...in terms of safety and get up and go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Charger Daytona, and bought the wife a Fusion SEL FWD. I like it a lot, but wouldnt give up the Charger because of the power. Have you considered an AWD Charger R/T?

·
Registered
443 Posts
If AWD is really important to you- how about a MazdaSpeed 6. It only comes with a manual trans, but would be a lot more fun than a Fusion or Impala. And like Stevesti said, the Charger AWD may be a worthy consideration. I've driven a 300C with the 3.5L V6 and it's a nice engine.

·
Registered
463 Posts
[quote author=stevessti link=topic=74681.msg1340015#msg1340015 date=1176741109]
I have a Charger Daytona, and bought the wife a Fusion SEL FWD. I like it a lot, but wouldnt give up the Charger because of the power. Have you considered an AWD Charger R/T?
[/quote]

Stevessti is right on the money if you are going to lease the car or dump it in a few years. That would be a great car to have in those circumstances. However, if you want a car that is going to last, you might want to check the reliability ratings for the Charger and compare them to the Fusion, first (consumerreports.org).

·
Registered
8 Posts
You also have to consider things like gas mileage, because my around town is 12.5-13.
5 at best, but I drop my daughter off at school every morning, and I have to wait to do it, so it really takes a hit. But, with MDS, I wanted to see what my absolute best could be, so on the highway I went 55 for about 30 miles, and averaged about 29mpg.
Of course an AWD version will slightly worse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey those are some good suggestions. I'll look more into the charger and mazda. Although, I have a feeling the rt may be a little out of my price range. I briefly looked at the avenger awd as well, but it didn't do much for me.

Another question I have is how do you like the 6spd auto? It seemed pretty smooth in the test version I drove, and I think it's made in Japan too.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The dodge would be quite pricey. $28,555 for the v6 SXT AWD $32,615 for the R/T AWD BEFORE destination chargers. That's with no other options. Plus like someone else pointed out that the dodges aren't as reliable as most other brands. Consumer Reports HIGHLY recommends the Fusion(the only highly recommended ford) and Charger isn't even recommended(the ONLY recommended dodge is the Durango, and it's not even highly recommended). But I wouldn't base my decision off of them, I would base it off of my brothers experience with Dodges. He's had a dodge ram(blew up two engine in that), he had two chrylser sebrings(basically dodge lol) one bad engine, one with a bad tranny, now he has a Dakota and is having problems with the AWD and the heater core leaks and is having other electrical problems with it. He's finally thinking about trying another brand, almost got him going for a chevy, he doesn't like most fords.

One thing I would also consider before you buy is how good the service is in the service department at your local dearship. My local dealership has been very good to me and doesn't give me the run around when I come in. I haven't been in for anything major, just fixing my lumbar support(I broke it but was fixed under warranty anyway) and getting the computer reflashed.

Last but MOST importantly, it's what makes you happy that's most imported. So go make your heart happy and good luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
The truth of the matter is that for most people, the ride and handling are going to be the most noticed attributes of a car. Straight line accelleration is great if you are drag racin. For everyday driving the cornering and overall ride are much more important. The Fusion V6 has plenty of power on tap and handles much better than any of the other cars mentioned except maybe the Mazda6. The Mazda should be about the same though. Same engine and same basic chassis design. The Fusion is slightly longer but thats about it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
[quote author=NaplesBill link=topic=74681.msg1342929#msg1342929 date=1176811555]
The truth of the matter is that for most people, the ride and handling are going to be the most noticed attributes of a car. Straight line accelleration is great if you are drag racin. For everyday driving the cornering and overall ride are much more important. The Fusion V6 has plenty of power on tap and handles much better than any of the other cars mentioned except maybe the Mazda6. The Mazda should be about the same though. Same engine and same basic chassis design. The Fusion is slightly longer but thats about it.
[/quote]

The Fusion also has VVT on the intake cams so it gets a bit more horsepower and torque than the 6. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.