FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've got an 07 Lincoln MKZ that came with the stock halogen lights, I bought a pair of OEM Lincoln MKZ HID headlights with the bulbs and ballasts. I plug them in and they work great when the car is NOT started. As soon as I start the car they go out and the Error Messages turn on, on the dash. If i connect and disconnect one while the car is started it blinks for a fraction of a second then goes out.

It seems like when the car is not on there is no diagnostic feature going through everything, but when you turn it on, the diagnostics kick on and it shuts off the lights. I assume its because the HID's are drawing less power than the halogen's and it's cutting power to the lights when it thinks the bulb is out. This is not my first rodeo with HID's but this is the first time something like this is happening, probably due to it being a stock setup.

Will the Error Message Eliminator kit work for me or do I have to splice in a resister to match the difference in voltage requirements? I talked to the dealer and they said to come in to check it out, couldnt give me an answer over the phone because no one knew... sounds pricey. Most likely they would have to reprogram the ECU to accept the different voltage requirements....

· Registered
556 Posts
An "Error Message Eliminator kit" AKA BOW (bulb-out-warning) kit (same thing just different terms so you're aware) may fix your problem. In the case of my 2010, I had to go to an accessory wiring harness for the car to be "happy" while running. Mine did the same thing as yours with BOW eliminators.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is, it looks like the BOW Eliminator kits wouldnt even plug in due to my wiring being stock, and not using the aftermarket HID kits... I figure i would have to do some splicing, and even then I cant be sure that it will work?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking... but the cost of this... is what i'm concerned with. For now, I bought a pair of 50w 6ohm resistors to splice into the wiring, and see if that doesn't fix my problem, if not guess I gotta go to the dealer.

· Registered
556 Posts
[quote author=spidremedia link=topic=161212.msg3425421#msg3425421 date=1258730762]
That's what I was thinking... but the cost of this... is what i'm concerned with. For now, I bought a pair of 50w 6ohm resistors to splice into the wiring, and see if that doesn't fix my problem, if not guess I gotta go to the dealer.
[/quote]
Before doing any splicing/cutting, I would suggest putting the resistors inline between the car and ballast using alligator clips first. That way you can test without cutting your wires.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its alright, i've gotten pretty good with sodering, so cutting wires is not a big deal for me anymore! :)

By the way... the resistors, the best place for them is right before the headlight where the factory plugs come together, correct? Not much of an electrician, if you can't already tell :p

· Registered
556 Posts
[quote author=spidremedia link=topic=161212.msg3425478#msg3425478 date=1258733232]
Its alright, i've gotten pretty good with sodering, so cutting wires is not a big deal for me anymore! :)

By the way... the resistors, the best place for them is right before the headlight where the factory plugs come together, correct? Not much of an electrician, if you can't already tell :p
[/quote]
I would say whatever side is easier for you to access. The obvious goal being to fool the car that full voltage is being drawn.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the whole front end is apart so I can do it anywhere :) I found out about the bow eliminators here, but people seem to buy the specific kits, when they cost alot more than the actual resistors, which can be had for $15 on ebay. But i suppose people just wanna plug-n-play without no mess so they pay more, ah well to each their own. As long as it works i'll be set.

· Registered
4 Posts
I would recommend checking out the factory wiring diagram. You'll notice that HID version of the MKZ has the ballasts wired though the BJB as well as the SJB. So the wiring is a bit different. Also, I'm pretty certain that that As Built data in the SJB is different as well.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i tried out the 50watt 6ohm resistors and basically the HID just flickered like a strobe, tried to do the second one in parallel with the first, no difference.

Unfortunately I dont have access to a wiring diagram. Also whats sjb and bjb?

Any care to give their thoughts and ideas on this? maybe there's still a way to do it without dragging it to the stealership?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=Y2KFirehawk link=topic=161212.msg3454799#msg3454799 date=1260648830]
the "SJB" is the Smart Junction Box.

I think your best bet is to use an accessory wiring harness - http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=133&parent=94
[/quote]

That doesnt look like it would do anything for me, remember its a factory HID kit, not an aftermarket one, and it lights up just fine without the car running, meaning that there's some sort of diagnostic thats run when the car is started, i just have to figure out the correct wattage/ohm/resistance/etc to make them light...

· Registered
187 Posts
based on the wiring difference alone i would not turn on your headlights again until you go back to stock. I am going to attach the 2 wiring diagrams for you to see.

Attachments

· Registered
556 Posts
[quote author=spidremedia link=topic=161212.msg3454938#msg3454938 date=1260659203]
[quote author=Y2KFirehawk link=topic=161212.msg3454799#msg3454799 date=1260648830]
the "SJB" is the Smart Junction Box.

I think your best bet is to use an accessory wiring harness - http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=133&parent=94
[/quote]

That doesnt look like it would do anything for me, remember its a factory HID kit, not an aftermarket one, and it lights up just fine without the car running, meaning that there's some sort of diagnostic thats run when the car is started, i just have to figure out the correct wattage/ohm/resistance/etc to make them light...
[/quote]

FWIW, that is exactly what my 2010 FF Sport did until I installed the accessory harness.

· Registered
556 Posts
[quote author=spidremedia link=topic=161212.msg3455490#msg3455490 date=1260721760]
FWIW, that is exactly what my 2010 FF Sport did until I installed the accessory harness.
but you as far as i know the ford fusion doesnt have stock hid's does it? you were using an aftermarket kit, not a factory kit, correct?
[/quote]

Correct, the Fusion does not come stock with HIDs and I am using an aftermarket kit. But, I am going to venture a guess that the connecting wire harnesses are similar/identical. (as well as the base components: HID bulb, ballast, etc.) And as far as your car is concerned, I'm guessing the wiring for the non-HID MKz is similar/identical to that of a Fusion/Milan which do not come with HIDs.

And as far as it being a "stock" HID setup, to your car it might as well be an aftermarket setup as your car was not setup for HIDs from the factory.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=Y2KFirehawk link=topic=161212.msg3455493#msg3455493 date=1260722281]
[quote author=spidremedia link=topic=161212.msg3455490#msg3455490 date=1260721760]
but you as far as i know the ford fusion doesnt have stock hid's does it? you were using an aftermarket kit, not a factory kit, correct?
[/quote]

Correct, the Fusion does not come stock with HIDs and I am using an aftermarket kit. But, I am going to venture a guess that the connecting wire harnesses are similar/identical. (as well as the base components: HID bulb, ballast, etc.) And as far as your car is concerned, I'm guessing the wiring for the non-HID MKz is similar/identical to that of a Fusion/Milan which do not come with HIDs.

And as far as it being a "stock" HID setup, to your car it might as well be an aftermarket setup as your car was not setup for HIDs from the factory.
[/quote]

The 07 MKZ comes with HID's as stock, my parts car was a stock hid setup, thats where i got the stock hid headilghts, but apparently i should have taken the fuse box and all that too because i just looked and there arent even wires hooked up for the relays that i need to make it work as a "stock" setup. Mine simply just didnt have the HID option installed, whoever bought the car before me didnt buy that option. So now...

To make it all work with HID... i need to buy the HID kit(aftermarket), and what else to make the BOW lights go away and everything to work properly?

· Registered
187 Posts
^correct. you need to go aftermarket or get a whole new SJB/fuse box and body wiring harness.

the make the BOW kits. or you can just measure the resistance of the factory headlight circuit and the HID and insert the difference in resistance on the signal wires.

· Administrator
6,178 Posts
EDIT - I was typing while gotAWD was posting his reply above, so had not seen it before replying here.

Hi guys. :wavey: Just to help avoid confusion for others, here is the HID situation with the MKZ:
The base ("stock") MKZ is equipped with "regular" Halogen headlights. No HID's.

For 2007-2009 MKZ, HID's were a Factory option. They are not an aftermarket add-on (unless someone adds an aftermarket kit on their own). For 2010, the Factory HID option has been upgraded to "Adaptive HID's" (they move left and right with steering wheel input).

The MKZ's factory HID's are not a "plug and play" add-on for MKZ's that were originally equipped with the stock Halogens (as spidremedia is discovering). There are equipment, wiring and programming differences in the two types of headlight systems.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts