FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 07 V6 Fusion with almost 60k miles on it. Today when I was sitting in a drive through I noticed that my engine was making this clicking noise. I thought maybe it was the car behind me so I shut the car off and the sound stopped. Turned it back on and there it is again. Is it normal for these engines to make a clicking noise while idling?

·
Super Moderator
5,807 Posts
[quote author=07blackSEL link=topic=166641.msg3532798#msg3532798 date=1265408996]
Hey guys I have an 07 V6 Fusion with almost 60k miles on it. Today when I was sitting in a drive through I noticed that my engine was making this clicking noise. I thought maybe it was the car behind me so I shut the car off and the sound stopped. Turned it back on and there it is again. Is it normal for these engines to make a clicking noise while idling?
[/quote]

Hi 07black. :wavey: Trying to diagnose an engine sound over the Internet is virtually impossible.

Our engines are DOHC (Double Overhead Cam), and some may normally exhibit a "ticking" sound, to varying degrees. You can also get an intermittent "cicking" sound when the A/C condenser cycles on and off. This could occur if you have the HVAC set to "AUTO" or the front defroster on, for example.

However, there is no way for us to determine if what you are experiencing is a "normal" engine sound or not.

All you can do is perform the various maintenance checks that we all should do anyway: Do you change the oil on schedule (6 months/5,000 miles for your model year)? Have you checked the oil lately? If not check and top off if necessary.

Other than that, if you still have worries that it is something out of the ordinary, do as Gravey stated above and make a service appointment with your Ford Dealer if still under Warranty. If no longer under Warranty, make an appointment with your Ford Dealer or your own mechanic (if you have one), whichever you prefer.

If you are not sure what the noise is, better safe than sorry.

Keep us updated.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses I let the car sit for a little while and went out there, started it and it wasn't making the clicking noise. BUT I don't know why. I suppose I could take it to the dealership since I don't really have a "honest" local mechanic but I can only imagine how expensive it would be for them to check it out. Luckily I have had 60k trouble free miles because this is the first problem I have had with the car if in fact I do have a problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,807 Posts
[quote author=07blackSEL link=topic=166641.msg3532872#msg3532872 date=1265412810]
Thanks for the responses I let the car sit for a little while and went out there, started it and it wasn't making the clicking noise. BUT I don't know why. I suppose I could take it to the dealership since I don't really have a "honest" local mechanic but I can only imagine how expensive it would be for them to check it out. Luckily I have had 60k trouble free miles because this is the first problem I have had with the car if in fact I do have a problem.
[/quote]

Hi 07black. :wavey: Do you have a friend or family member who is an auto buff? If you do, tell them about your concern and ask them to listen to your engine. It would not be difficult for someone who is familiar with cars (and can listen, in person) to tell if the noise is something to be concerned about.

Let us know.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could he possibly have the camshaft tick outlined in TSB 08-3-10?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the TSB fix done on both an 04 Taurus 24V Duratec and an 06 Fusion SEL V6, and it helped on both. But what also helped stop the sewing machine ticking was to stop using 5W-20 oil. My switch to 5W-30 quieted things down more. Plus, I'm going to a 10W when I hit 50k miles in the Fusion, which I understand was the original grade of oil when the 3.0 Duratec was first released anyway. Whatever they may say about it, that 5W oil looks like water to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote author=SamSnyder link=topic=166641.msg3588431#msg3588431 date=1269768492]
I had the TSB fix done on both an 04 Taurus 24V Duratec and an 06 Fusion SEL V6, and it helped on both. But what also helped stop the sewing machine ticking was to stop using 5W-20 oil. My switch to 5W-30 quieted things down more. Plus, I'm going to a 10W when I hit 50k miles in the Fusion, which I understand was the original grade of oil when the 3.0 Duratec was first released anyway. Whatever they may say about it, that 5W oil looks like water to me.
[/quote]

The originally specified oil in the Duratec was never a 10 weight - it began with 5W-30, and was later re-specified to 5w-20 (during the 2001 MY), ostensibly for the mileage improvement.

I've owned a Duratec powered automobile since 1999. And added a second in December. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take the front valve cover off and check the cam cap bolts. Could have some loose ones allowing the cap to jump. It is common.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts