FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing the 07 Fusion SE I4 with the 5 speed auto transmission. However I was kind of disappointed with the fact that the only selectable drive gears are "D" and "L". Does the "L" gear in the transmission just limit the car to first gear, is it used for steep grades, etc? The dealer was not very specific on this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My experience with L is only first gear, so no it's not a good thing for steep grades. However, the transmission does quite well in hilly terrain. It holds in a lower gear much longer when it senses that it needs additional power. As far as to why they even have the L when all it is is first gear I don't know why. I mean what would you only use first gear for? I could see second gear but not first. Also I will sometime put my car in N when sitting at red lights and have forgot that I DIDN'T put it N and when I think I'm putting the car in D I'm actually putting it in 1st. I've hit redline at least once because of this.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have had the Milan with this power train for over a year now and I find no fault with the computer shifts on this gearbox. It’s hard for me to believe that Ford got it this close. A+ is the grade that I give them. As for the low/drive thing, well, I would have liked to seen a little more effort.

·
Registered
112 Posts
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=73446.msg1304166#msg1304166 date=1175401667]
My experience with L is only first gear, so no it's not a good thing for steep grades.
[/quote]
L is not first gear only. It holds gears longer. Try driving down the road in D at 45 mph and then shift to L. The trans will downshift a gear and hold higher RPMs. It would be good for downhill situations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts