FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased at 06 Fusion that is out of factory warranty as it has 43k miles. After having it for awhile, i noticed the odometer screen blacks out while driving. I have tried all the connections, all are tight fitting, etc.

I know on some Fords, the milage is stored on the cluster, NOT the vehicle.

So, what I am wondering is this:

If I purchase as USED Fusion cluster from eBay, would the cluster match the milage on MY vehicle, or, will it be stored on the new cluster from the donor vehicle? (If this is the case, I will have to search for a cluster that matches my milage.) Secondly, can I just plug in the eBay cluster, and have the eBay cluster work? or...is there some type of programming involved.

Lastly, I was wondering if a Milan cluster would work?

·
Registered
619 Posts
The mileage definitly stays with the cluster, so whatever you buy, that will be your mileage. If you buy a new one from Ford, they will actually program in your mileage before they send it to you. I'm pretty sure that changing your cluster without correcting the odometer or putting some sort of sticker on the car is a federal offence.

By the way, did you try all the other obvious stuff, such as toggling the message center, turn on/off the headlights and adjusting the dimmer switch? Any of those could cause the message center to go blank. Does it keep accurate miles even when it goes blank?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! 8)

Yes...I noticed actually when the lights are on it goes blank less often. You can toggle the message center when it is blank and it still will chirp, but nothing will happen on the screen.

I was hoping to get a cluster that had slightly more miles than what I have now and just drive on this cluster until it matches. The current cluster does keep tract of the milage even when the display is blank.

Is there any type of cluster that I need to buy, specifically? like, can I buy a 08 Fusion cluster for an 06, or an 05 for an 06, etc?

And any word on if the Milan cluster will work??

Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
One of the issues you're going to have is that the cluster holds a lot of the configurations for the different options. If you buy a cluster from a car that didn't have traction control and yours does, the traction control won't work until you "configure" it in the cluster. The only way I know to do that is to take it to the dealer, and even then I'm not sure if they can do all of it. But I think this would be the only issue with a Milan cluster or a different model year, it would have to be configured but should otherwise work.

·
Registered
391 Posts
you should install the milan cluster, but keep your old cluster. it will be cooler looking with blue speedometer needles. then. put 200k miles on the car.

Then, when you are ready to sell your car, install your old cluster, for a higher resale value.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts