2013 Fusion oil change??? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
loudsport
Go-Kart Driver

Default 2013 Fusion oil change???

2013 Fusion 2.0L

When should I be changing my oil?
Should I change it at 3k, or should I be waiting for a certain percentage of oil life according to the car? Not even sure if it is 3k or 5k since its a new engine...

Thank you
loudsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudsport View Post
2013 Fusion 2.0L

When should I be changing my oil?
Should I change it at 3k, or should I be waiting for a certain percentage of oil life according to the car? Not even sure if it is 3k or 5k since its a new engine...

Thank you
Hi loudsport. What you should do is read your Owners Manual and the Maintenance Schedule contained in it.

But to help you out for now. The OCI is 1 year/10,000 miles or if the Oil Life Monitoring system tells you to change it sooner...whichever comes first.

And while individual opinions will vary, there is no need to perform a first oil change any sooner than the Ford recommendation stated above. If it helps you sleep better at night, go ahead. However, it serves no purpose with todays engines and oils. If anyone wants to argue that fact, they can argue it with Ford (remember, those good old folks who designed, engineered and manufactured our cars?).

But you should never take the word of strangers over the Internet, even schlubs like us. So read that informative little book that Ford printed up for all of us for the best and correct information.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, just giving you OCI facts and my honest opinion.

Good luck.

Last edited by bbf2530; 03-17-2013 at 09:28 PM.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
loudsport
Go-Kart Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf2530 View Post
Hi loudsport. What you should do is read your Owners Manual and the Maintenance Schedule contained in it.

But to help you out for now. The OCI is 1 year/10,000 miles or if the Oil Life Monitoring system tells you to change it sooner...whichever comes first.

And while individual opinions will vary, there is no need to perform a first oil change any sooner than the Ford recommendation stated above. If it helps you sleep better at night, go ahead. However, it serves no purpose with todays engines and oils. If anyone wants to argue that fact, they can argue it with Ford (remember, those good old folks who designed, engineered and manufactured our cars?).

But you should never take the word of strangers over the Internet, even schlubs like us. So read that informative little book that Ford printed up for all of us for the best and correct information.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, just giving you OCI facts and my honest opinion.

Good luck.
Thanks...Just want to see what others are doing and get different opinions. Just wasn't sure about the oil life %, should I wait till its 0% or does that mean the oil is shot?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
wireless
Le Mans: GT Class

That means it's time for you to likely do your oil change. Oil more than likely won't be gritty (that's when it's shot) for much longer than that lol

'10 Sterling Grey Fusion SE 2.5L, EvoX-R retrofit
wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
bbf2530
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudsport View Post
Thanks...Just want to see what others are doing and get different opinions. Just wasn't sure about the oil life %, should I wait till its 0% or does that mean the oil is shot?
Hi loudsport. When you hit 0% it means you should definitely schedule an oil change. It does not mean the oil is "shot". However, if it were me, I would schedule think about scheduling an oil change when the Oil Life Monitor shows a reading of 5% or so. And keep in mind that it is 1 year/10,000 miles (or 0%) whichever comes first.

But again, this is why all of us should read our Owners Manual, since it explains a lot about your car and its maintenance.

Good luck.
bbf2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
txtenor
Short Track Racer

And, if you are simply curious as to what others are doing, I am getting my first regular service (and oil change) tomorrow. My car just went over 8000 miles (planned to do this at 7500).

There are a couple of reasons I am not waiting to 10K...first off, I am old school...5-7K on full synthetic is ok, but I have a tough time going beyond that...old habits. Second, I checked the oil during a fill-up last week and the oil level had dropped to about a quart low. Third, I have some other issues that I want them to look at and I want to get those things started sooner rather than later.

So, that is what I am doing...

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - BLK TI "Eleanor"
txtenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
loudsport
Go-Kart Driver

Thanks everyone, oil life is still showing 50%...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
lcaulford
Go-Kart Driver

wow good luck with your engines . every 3 to 5000 miles the oil NEEDS to be changed. i dont care what anyone says . 2013 uses a synthetic blend , even if it were full synthetic your doing alot of harm to your engine seals waiting 10,000 miles for an oil change
lcaulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
jinx8402
Go-Kart Driver

So, we should trust you over the Ford engineers who developed the engine? Or the company that will have to pay for warranty claims when engines craps out because they suggested 1 year/10000 miles?

If you want to change your oil more often as in every 3000 miles or 3 months like on previously designed engine, that is your prerogative. I, myself, will probably do every 6 months just because I rather be safe. However, I am not going to go around say that it NEEDS to be changed and that Ford is lying to people. If they felt the oil/engine needed more frequent oil changes, they would say that to reduce warranty claims.
jinx8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
whiteplatinum
Moped Rider

I have a maintenance plan on my car for 6 years/120k kms and my service interval is every 8000 km's. Seems reasonable.
whiteplatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford Fusion Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care