DTE Warning on 2013? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
skroe
Moped Rider

Default DTE Warning on 2013?

Today, I noticed I was below 50 miles DTE and never received a warning. On our Explorer with MFT it warns on the left LCD that you have to acknowledge by pressing OK to get it to go away. Anyone else with MFT in the '13 Fusion notice this? Can't find anywhere in the settings to turn this feature off or on.
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Canadian_LX

Did you wait until it reached 30 or 40? Maybe the programming has changed to not come on so soon.
Canadian_LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
txtenor
Short Track Racer

I didn't get a low fuel warning in mine this week until I hit 8 miles DTE. Which was odd, because it had typically come on sooner than that. I actually drove it about a mile after it hit 0 and still only got 12.9 gallons in it...have started discussions with the dealership on having the fuel tank issue evaluated. Will wait until the first maintenance appt before I take it in to show them how little fuel it take to get it to the pump shut-off...only about 2500-3000 miles to go. Man do I drive alot...lol

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - BLK TI "Eleanor"
txtenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
LokiWolf
Short Track Racer

Lucky. It annoys the crap out of me on the 2006 Milan. Spams that message to death, it does.
LokiWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
skroe
Moped Rider

It was at 32 but just my son to practice and it came on at 27 DTE. Just filled at 22 DTE and took 12.7 gallons. BTW, 2600 miles now.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
dean.mohr
Go-Kart Driver

The only time you'll get the full amount of a fuel in the gas tank is if you drive the car until it stalls. Even then, you might not. There is a set "reserve" amount for when you push it too far. A built in safety (for people like you guys, apparently! lol) to try to prevent people from running their car until it stalls, as this can cause lots of problems.

2013 Fusion Titanium
Tuxedo Black Metallic
Navigation
Sunroof
19" H-Spoke Wheels
dean.mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
StealthFusion
Short Track Racer

I strongly recommend against running any turbo engine below 1/4 tank. It can damage the fuel pump since it is cooled by the fuel. Turbos place greater demands on the fuel pump than NA, but even on NA its not recommended to run the tank too low.

One thing semi related, I've noticed that the tank doesnt always fill up all the way before the gas pump auto shut off.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
txtenor
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean.mohr View Post
The only time you'll get the full amount of a fuel in the gas tank is if you drive the car until it stalls. Even then, you might not. There is a set "reserve" amount for when you push it too far. A built in safety (for people like you guys, apparently! lol) to try to prevent people from running their car until it stalls, as this can cause lots of problems.
Dean - you need to check out some of the threads on fuel tank issues on the 2013. This is a well documented issue here and elsewhere that many of the earliest built Fusions (non-Hybrids) have the specification for a 16.5 gallon tank and yet cannot get more than 12.5-13 gallons in them when the car is at (or below in my case) empty.

Now...to be clear, this is not my first rodeo...I have owned many cars and am not a young man. I have even owned several Fords including a 2008 Focus. I have driven many different ones which have had a "reserve" and this is not simply a reserve capacity issue. The DTE should not register 0 miles if there is still more than 3.5 gallons in the car...period! Even if you only allow for 20mpg, that is still 70+ miles from empty which is not typical. Most reserve capacities are set at around 1-1.5 gallons...not 3+ gallons.

I did not intend to hijack this thread into another fuel tank filling issue but the lack of a DTE warning...or a late DTE warning complicates the issue if you also cannot get fill your tank to the expected capacity. That is why I tried to link the concerns.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - BLK TI "Eleanor"
txtenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
fcorona76
Go-Kart Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroe View Post
Today, I noticed I was below 50 miles DTE and never received a warning. On our Explorer with MFT it warns on the left LCD that you have to acknowledge by pressing OK to get it to go away. Anyone else with MFT in the '13 Fusion notice this? Can't find anywhere in the settings to turn this feature off or on.
My 2010 Sport will first issue the warning at 50 miles to empty, then 25, then 10, and then nothing. I do not have navigation or MFT....just standard Sync. The thing is, I've driven 50 miles passed ZERO miles to empty and still had some gas left as I was able to put in almost 17 gallons of gasoline. Granted this was on the highway and I had my mountain bike on the roof rack as backup in case I did run it dry. The advertised size of 17.5 is pretty close in my case....

Ford is just trying to dummy proof gasoline fillups as much as possible...
fcorona76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
larryinfl
Le Mans: Prototype Class

It goes on around 13-17, I think. Its' come on a couple times, and both I was leaving work getting on the turnpike. It's about 10 miles on the turnpike. So both times I crossed my fingers for no issues with traffic and went for it.
larryinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Ford General Discussion > Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln Zephyr & MKZ