2013 Fusion - cant fill gas tank - Page 7 - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #61
CheesyRider
Moped Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx8402 View Post
That's an interesting question Cheesy. I do have MFT on mine. The non MFT vehicles have the traditional needle gauge for fuel, where as the MFT with dual screens in the cluster could possibly have a different programming to interpret & display the fuel gauge.
Yeah, I don't have MFT and zero problems for me. I put in 11 gallons yesterday with a 150 miles DTE reading. After I filled up yesterday my estimated range was over 500 miles.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #62
txtenor
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
Just out of curiosity, does everyone who is having trouble have MyFord Touch? I wonder if cars with MyFord Touch have fuel gauges that calibrated differently.
Cheesy - For the record, the issues we are having filling the tank do not appear related to any gauge calibrations. It is a simple capacity issue. So far as I have seen, everyone is getting indications of how much fuel is available or used that are consistent with the fuel pumped in...the problem is simply that we don't get the amount of fuel in the car that we need...or should.

And to your comment about getting 11 gallons in the car with 150 miles DTE...I have to be at less than 30 miles DTE to get close to 11 gallons in mine. I am also pretty sure that if I go very far past 0 DTE, I will end up needing roadside assistance like a couple of other folks have who tried it.

I take your results as verification that there are 16.5 gallon tanks out there that allow for more fuel than mine does and that is a good thing, because it means there is a potential solution. Thanks for the info.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - BLK TI "Eleanor"
txtenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #63
jinx8402
Go-Kart Driver

txtenor, it most certainly could be a computer issue. Think of it like this. If the computer is using 3.5 gallons as reserve, it will calculate DTE to be 0 after using 13 Gallons. In fact, Ford released a TSB for the escape due to this very issue. See: tsb 13-2-1.

iamweasel, over at fordfusionforum.com had his tank replaced (he was the one that was able to have a Ford engineer determine part of the problem as a tank issue). He just recently reported that he still can't properly fill up, this after the dealer put 1 gallon in the tank after install, drove it to a gas station and was able to add 15.3 gallons.

There could be issues with some tanks, but I think the reason we can only get 13 Gallons in might be because it is saving 3.5G as reserve, which is absurd to use almost 25% of the tank as reserve, reducing the effective driving range of the car.
jinx8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #64
txtenor
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx8402 View Post
txtenor, it most certainly could be a computer issue. Think of it like this. If the computer is using 3.5 gallons as reserve, it will calculate DTE to be 0 after using 13 Gallons. In fact, Ford released a TSB for the escape due to this very issue. See: tsb 13-2-1.

iamweasel, over at fordfusionforum.com had his tank replaced (he was the one that was able to have a Ford engineer determine part of the problem as a tank issue). He just recently reported that he still can't properly fill up, this after the dealer put 1 gallon in the tank after install, drove it to a gas station and was able to add 15.3 gallons.

There could be issues with some tanks, but I think the reason we can only get 13 Gallons in might be because it is saving 3.5G as reserve, which is absurd to use almost 25% of the tank as reserve, reducing the effective driving range of the car.

jinx8402 - If that were the case, then we could simply drive past 0 DTE for another 3 or 4 gallons worth of driving (60-100 miles depending on economy)...we would all learn that pretty quickly and we would be complaining about the gauge calibration...but a couple of folks have tried driving past 0 DTE and never got more than a gallon's worth down the road (20-30 miles)...thus, there is not 3.5 gallons sitting there simply not being used.

All reports suggest that the tank has a normal amount left when it gets to 0 on the DTE. Now, there may also be an issue with some gauges, but the gauge doesn't make the gas pump shut off at 11 or 12 gallons.

I will ask the dealer to confirm the amount of fuel in my tank when I take it in as part of the evaluation and repair...just to confirm that the tank truly is not holding gas that the gauge isn't telling us about. I am at 7000 miles and plan to take her in for recommended service around 7500. When I do, I am going to have them look at the tank filling issue (among a few other things...like the trunklid that won't stay open) and see what they can do.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #65
cmanning27
Moped Rider

Default 2013 Fusion - cant fill gas tank

I also have MFT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
cmanning27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #66
xxxxxxxxhytek

Default Re: 2013 Fusion - cant fill gas tank

Edit: just re-read the whole thread and the link to the other forum. I'll reserve my comment until I test a couple more fill ups.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by xxxxxxxxhytek; 03-09-2013 at 09:12 AM.
xxxxxxxxhytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #67
SpaceGhost
Go-Kart Driver

I for one think I have a gauge issue. I have a 2.0 with MFT. The first few times I filled the car with gas I never put more than 13 gallons in it.The trip meter would show that I used relatively the same amount of fuel that I put in. After a couple weeks of this I decided to drive my car past empty. I drove it 65 miles while the car showed I had 0 left to empty. My car held almost 15 gallons the next fillup. I have contacted my local dealer and scheduled to bring it in this coming weeked. I am not sure what they will do if anything .
SpaceGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #68
strytnyne
Short Track Racer

like i said its probably just how for calibrated the mft gauge if you drove it 65 miles u used about 2-3 gallons of fuel after 0 miles till empty
strytnyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #69
txtenor
Short Track Racer

Info from my session with the Ford tech...(Note: Mine is definitely NOT a gauge issue...and I have MFT.)

Took the car in last week at 3 miles DTE. Went with the tech to fill the car up while he had his computer connected to the car. Said it showed 10% fuel in the tank (so, about 1.5 gallons of a 16.5 gallon tank). I filled it up and it shut off at 12.6 gallons on the first click. He said the computer showed the tank at 90% full and asked me to pull the nozzle out slightly and try again. This took me into uncharted territory at 13.4 gallons. We waited a minute and tried again...this time we got to 13.8. At this point the computer said 98% full. He asked that I keep trying which I did...each time with the nozzle slightly pulled out from the car. (If I pushed it all the way in, it would click off immediately). After about 7 more clicks we ended up getting 15 gallons into the car. The whole process took about 20-30 minutes...much longer than I ever plan to spend filling my car. At the point we stopped, the computer still said 98% full

He then put the car up on the rack and did some more investigating...he will be updating the hotline with the information he gleaned from my car today and said several times that he does think it is an engineering issue. He confirmed that the venting system was working properly in terms of the back-pressure in the system during the fill and before and after which also suggests that the issue is a design issue internal to the tank.

The positive is that I have a full tank of gas for the first time since owning the car. The downside is how long it will take me to get the car full going forward until they can get a response from Ford. He was leaning towards taking the action of replacing the tank, but was concerned that he would get another tank with the same issue since there is no clearly identified way of knowing which thanks have the problem.

Additionally, we were able to confirm that the fuel gauge was reading correctly for the amount of fuel left in the car.

What this all means to you folks is that when you take your cars in, you can tell your technicians that there is an entry in the Hotline system for a problem very much like what you are dealing with. My technician was able to find 3 other Hotline entries that he was using as reference.

(Note: I also posted this on the Blue Oval forums thread on this topic.)

Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #70
woofasa
Moped Rider

Thanks for the update txtenor. I have been having the same issue with filling up also. Every time I pump to 2 auto stops. Then about 15-20 miles after normal driving my gauge shows the level 1/8 tank from full.
-1.6 auto
woofasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain