2013 Fusion - cant fill gas tank - Page 6 - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #51
Topweasel
Go-Kart Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymk2 View Post
im not agitated at all. you seem to get upset whenever somebody posts something that does not go along with what you want to hear. truth be told, i honestly could care less about whats wrong with your car. you could take your own advice and ignore these posts, but you choose to try and prove something every time somebody says something you dont agree with.

and yes, somebody did say they expect to be able to put 15.5-16 gallons. its not going to happen.
I said based on previous experience with previous cars. This isn't an SSD there is no reason for a quarter of a tank to be "reserves". It completely destroys a the range of a car that already has pretty bad gas efficiency during its break in period (and from what we are seeing around the net a pretty long period too). 90%of the time its not even about "cooling" its about assuming the worst of its customers and protecting their stupidity. So creating a 60 to 120 mile buffer is waaay overkill. If its .5-1-1.5 even stretching it 2 gallons I could understand but 3-4 gallons is crazy and I can't believe anyone would assume that is normal at all, at least without more research.
Topweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #52
dannymk2
Grand Am Series

assuming the average person usually fills their car up right around the time the light comes on, which is at an 1/8th of a tank, they would still have at least 2 gallons in the tank before the reserve. factor in a 2 gallon reserve,when you fill up you still have at least 4 gallons in the tank. 16.5-4=12.5 gallons per fill up tops on average.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #53
Topweasel
Go-Kart Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymk2 View Post
assuming the average person usually fills their car up right around the time the light comes on, which is at an 1/8th of a tank, they would still have at least 2 gallons in the tank before the reserve. factor in a 2 gallon reserve,when you fill up you still have at least 4 gallons in the tank. 16.5-4=12.5 gallons per fill up tops on average.
We aren't talking about people filling up at the normal 1/8th (and its actually closer to 10% no matter the size of the tank). We are talking about people on regular not being able to 3-4 gallons in after they hit DTE 0. When that happens or on any car where you no longer can see any form of measurement for how much fuel is in the vehicle, you are running on reserves. That means that again we aren't talking about a 2 gallon reserve we are talking about 3-4 gallons. That isn't normal in most cars and apparently Ford doesn't think so either. But that isn't just it, apparently at least one person proved that the tank was only holding ~14 gallons. I think the big problem and in a week or two when I get mine I probably won't either is most people won't chance running out of fuel just to test the actual tank size.

But the biggest point I would make is that if it has a 4 gallon reserve, that is bad and if I was still driving 130 miles a day I wouldn't buy this car if that was normal. That would kill my driving range because I am not going to go 100-120 miles with no idea what my fuel situation is like and depending on driving style there could be a 60 mile differential in distance after DTE 0.

Think of it this way at a 1 gallon reserve (high for me, but lets say that is normal) and 31 highway MPG, you could be talking about 480 mile range. That is what Ford is selling people. At a generous 27 MPG for 2.0 drivers and lets call it a 3.5 gallon reserve you are talking about a 35o mile range to be comfortable. That is what for at least some people what Ford is delivering. Are you saying that people should just accept it. Certainly its not a show stopper considering what else you get, but think reasonably. People are paying 30-35k for these vehicles, is it alright, just because you think its OK to undershoot their own words this much?
Topweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #54
dannymk2
Grand Am Series

all im saying is a 2-3 gallon reserve is normal for any car. thats all ive said since page 1. im leaving it at that.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #55
jinx8402
Go-Kart Driver

And what a lot of us are experiencing is a 25% reserve of between 3.75 to 4.5 gallons.
jinx8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #56
txtenor
Short Track Racer

Maybe we can simply return to gathering data and leave the "is 3-4 gallons a normal reserve or not" question behind for now.

Those of us experiencing the issue first-hand recognize that the car is requiring fuel earlier than we expect if it indeed is filled with 16+ gallons of fuel. We want to gather as much information as possible regarding our experiences and the experiences of others so that we can work with our local dealers to determine what to do about it.

I am an avionics troubleshooter as part of my work and the first step to figuring out any resolution of a technical issue is to gather data and then organize it into relevant and non-relevant information.

We have accomplished an initial round of this with regards to which cars seem to be affected. It appears that none of the Hybrids nor AWD cars are seeing short fill-ups. Those owners have thus far reported that their cars take the amount of fuel they expect. Based on this, it would suggest that the issue is not related to the capless system since that is something all of the cars share. The one difference is the actual tank installed in the non-Hybrid/non_AWD cars...the 16.5 gallon tank.

One note: Fuel tanks are not just metal bags...they are complex structures with supports and reinforcements to make them crashworthy and the internals are designed with various baffles so that the fuel doesn't slosh around and is consistently available to the fuel pick-up or pump even when the level is very low. Even if it is rather rare, it is not far-fetched to think that there could be build errors that might prevent normal operation.

At least 2 people from the other forum have had tanks replaced with positive results. This also backs up the idea that the tanks may have a defect of some kind. One of them even got that specific feedback from Ford engineering if we are to believe their story.

The issue now is that getting a dealer to do a tank replacement under warranty is not a normal activity for a brand new car and is likely something the dealers will resist. I would recommend that any of us who are feeling like we have the issue begin discussions over the phone with your dealer as soon as possible to ask them to contact Ford on the issue to see if there are any TSBs or internal notices regarding the Fusion tanks. (For the record, that is exactly what has happened for the headliner issue...Ford has put out a notice that they are investigating the issue...but it is much easier because it is something the dealer service people can see for themselves. The tank issue cannot be visually verified, so it will require more convincing)

I would also ask that anyone who has spoken with the dealer share their experiences here so we can see how the dealers are treating the issue.

If we approach this systematically, we should be able to gain traction on service actions and get a final answer regarding the real issue.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - BLK TI "Eleanor"
txtenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #57
cmanning27
Moped Rider

Hi everyone!

I picked up my Sterling Gray 2013 Fusion SE 2.0 EB last month and love it. I came across this thread and thought I'd add to it. I've filled up 3 times so far and I'm on E now and will fill up again later today but all 3 times when I've filled up, I could only get 12.8 to 13.2 gallons at the most. I've been to the dealer and brought it up but they won't do anything unless Ford tells them to. I didn't get mad because in all honesty, I love this car and this isn't something that will eat me up inside. It's hurts the range and it's more stops to fill up I know, but it just isn't a big deal to me. I personally won't bother with it until Ford issues a TSB or recall to fix it. Oh and my car has a build date of 10/12 on the sticker.

EDIT: Weird thing is that when I filled up the last few times it was past MTE and today when I got gas it said 7 MTE and I managed to get 13.5 in exactly. The gas gauge was yellow too this time and not red. Hmmmm..

Last edited by cmanning27; 03-03-2013 at 12:58 AM.
cmanning27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #58
txtenor
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanning27 View Post
EDIT: Weird thing is that when I filled up the last few times it was past MTE and today when I got gas it said 7 MTE and I managed to get 13.5 in exactly. The gas gauge was yellow too this time and not red. Hmmmm..
I have noticed inconsistencies with mine in terms of the low fuel warning as well. I ave taken it all the way to 0 DTE once and have yet to see the gauge go red...it goes yellow way late in my opinion since it typically happens at about 10-20 miles DTE. I have been wondering if this issue is somehow linked to the tank issue...(maybe it's a calibration issue that shows up because the tanks aren't holding as much fuel as the gauge is set to expect?) But that's just fishing...and fodder for another thread.

Thanks for letting us know that you are seeing similar behavior with your car.

I am with you in terms of having it not affect my love for the car, but I still intend to try to get Ford to do something about it pretty soon.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - BLK TI "Eleanor"
txtenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #59
CheesyRider
Moped Rider

Just out of curiosity, does everyone who is having trouble have MyFord Touch? I wonder if cars with MyFord Touch have fuel gauges that calibrated differently.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #60
jinx8402
Go-Kart Driver

That's an interesting question Cheesy. I do have MFT on mine. The non MFT vehicles have the traditional needle gauge for fuel, where as the MFT with dual screens in the cluster could possibly have a different programming to interpret & display the fuel gauge.
jinx8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain