2013 Fusion - cant fill gas tank - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
iwearlederhosen
Bicycle Rider

Default 2013 Fusion - cant fill gas tank

Hi all,

Just got my 2013 Fusion SE. Company car actually.

Im having a real hard time filling up the gas tank. The 2010 Fusion had a cover on the tank spout but this is different. Its almost like a gas cap now that has a cover you push thru now.

No problem getting the gas spout in. However over the last 3 fillups Ive been about 3 gallons under full. I can force it by pumping it but it takes a while and have to do it at least 10 times. I havent had it overfill yet and spill out on the ground. I know its supposed to be like 15 gallons to full.

Ive got an average of 30 MPG on the system and max out at about 400 miles when I fill the tank as much as I can so I know theres more room.

When I got the car there was hardly any gas, about 50 miles to empty. I filled it up and only got 12.5 gallons in it.

Any ideas?
iwearlederhosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
fatabbot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwearlederhosen View Post
When I got the car there was hardly any gas, about 50 miles to empty. I filled it up and only got 12.5 gallons in it.
Sounds about right, actually. The MTE gauge is always going to be a bit pessimistic for obvious liability concerns. So you're probably looking at 2.5-3 gallons left when it reads 50 MTE.
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier

Ya it sounds to me like the tank is full and the system is doing its job by stopping you from overfilling the tank.
seasonalskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
dannymk2
Grand Am Series

not sure exactly how big the tank is on the new fusions, but on mine i believe its a 16 gallon tank, 2-3 of those is reserve. sounds like yours is about right. be careful trying to top off the tank. you could cause problems with the evap system.
dannymk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Talisman
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to Talisman

06-12 Fusions(Minus Hybrid) have 17.5 gallon tanks. New Fusions(even though they are slightly bigger) have 16.5 gallons tanks (minus the titanium awd with 17.5 also according to AOL).

And I agree with Fatabbot. Sounds like everything is normal.

Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/cd3performance
Fusion/MKZ 2.0 EcoBoost Tuners in stock! Gain 30hp & 55lb ft to the wheels!
GREAT Magnaflow Exhaust Sale Prices! AWD Sway Bars now available!
EARN CASH BACK ON EVERY TRANSACTION!!!
Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
QbannTX
Bicycle Rider

Default 2013 Fuel Tank Capacity

Per manual(page 302), tank capacity is 13.5 gallons..
QbannTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
seasonalskier

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier Send a message via Yahoo to seasonalskier

Page 302 is how to use Sync, not gas capacities.

On page 292 the fuel capacities are listed:
FWD = 16.5 Gal
AWD = 17.5 Gal

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../13fsnom1e.pdf
seasonalskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
iwearlederhosen
Bicycle Rider

Looks like I wasnt crazy. Take a look.

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic...-issues/page-3
iwearlederhosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
txtenor
Short Track Racer

So...for those of us who have had our Fusions for a while, this is a known issue. There is a very good thread about it in the forums on the Fusion Forum on Blue Oval forums:

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic...ank+%2Bfilling

The issue is exclusive to the Non-Hybrid and and Non-AWD cars. The tank capacities for the various models are as listed:

Hybrid - 13.5 Gal
AWD - 17.5 Gal
FWD - 16.5 Gal

Only those cars with the 16.5 Gal capacity are impacted based on the comments in the threads thus far and it is a definite issue. Some have been able to get the tanks to fill up farther by filling slowly and waiting and then filling again. It is an arduous process which should not be required in order to get the tank full.

And for the record...there is NO 2.5 to 3 Gallon reserve in any fuel tank currently in production...so please stop suggesting that it is normal to come up over 3 gallons short of a full fill-up when the needle is on or below empty. Thanks!

So, for anyone who is experiencing 11-12 gallon fill-ups on cars that have the 16.5 gallon tank, it is my personal recommendation that you contact the dealer and get them to start looking into it as I have. The more folks we have raising the question, the sooner Ford will admit the problem exists and provide a fix.

I have started the dialog with my dealer and will be having them investigate when I take it in for the 7500 mile service in the next few weeks.

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium - BLK TI "Eleanor"
txtenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
StealthFusion
Short Track Racer

In the owners manual, it states to do a gradual fill up after the gas pump has auto shut off. In my experience, when it auto shut offs, there is at least another gallon that can be put in. I am in NJ, and we have full service, so sometimes they top off, other times not.

Also, when the tank reads 1/4 down, its consistenly been equal to 4 gallons when filled up all the way.

Unfortunately, I think this issue has to do with Ford's capless filling port.
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain