Electronic throttle body failure - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
JL Fusion
Go-Kart Driver

Default Electronic throttle body failure

On my way home on a 3 lane freeway Friday night was cruising at about 110km/h (roughly 70mph) in fairly heavy traffic and experienced the dreaded throttle body failure. There was a shudder the wrench light came on and I had no throttle response whatsoever and to make matters worse was on an incline which made it even harder to get pulled over as I lost speed quickly. I rarely drive in the centre lane because you have nowhere to go in such an emergency and this was an excellent example of why. To make a long story longer I got pulled onto the shoulder got stopped shut it off and upon startup behaved like nothing was wrong. My dealer won't have a loaner for me until the 16th and in the meantime have been in contact with Ford. You would think such a repair (which ranges from $500-$700) would be covered under the drivetrain warranty but I am finding out it is not. Instead falls under the emissions warranty which covers until 80000kms and I'm at 82000kms. The girl at Ford customer service basically said lets wait and see what the diagnosis is but after much research I'm fairly confident that the throttle body is the culprit. What's more alarming is the UNBELIEVABLE failure rate of these units. I could have stayed online for hours reading the horror stories associated with these things. I really hope Ford steps up to the plate and admits they have a problem, there's already a TSB and an updated unit to replace the factory defective ones. In fact I'm hearing they're replacing so many of these the part is on back order and is taking up to 2 weeks for dealers to get their hands on them, I hope this is not the case but in any event I will let you all know how I make out.
JL Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
shifty mcshifterson
Grand Am Series

Default Re: Electronic throttle body failure

Man I hate electronic TBs, this is one reason. Good luck, I hope it works out.
Coming soon- HD front lip, chrome trunklid trim
shifty mcshifterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
JL Fusion
Go-Kart Driver

Default Re: Electronic throttle body failure

Got my car back today and as I suspected it was the throttle body gone bad. I was 2000kms over the 80000km warranty that covers it but my dealer whined to Ford for me and the repair only cost me $234 tax in and from what I'm reading I got away lucky. The mechanic that drove the car couldn't replicate my problem (seems to always be the case) but thought the throttle response was sluggish and that coupled with my explanation was good enough for him to move forward with the repair. The sluggish throttle response apparently is the precursor to the failure of the unit. They've done so many of them they told me to hold on to my receipt cause they wouldn't be surprised if there was a recall was down the road if the NHTSA in the states deems it a safety hazard. Probably what it will take is for someone to get hurt which is sad. Depending on driving skill and location of failure (lack of breakdown lane) it's only a matter of time.
JL Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
TBFusion10
Short Track Racer

*Thread revival*

About a month ago I was about to merge onto the interstate when I felt my car suddenly shut off. I was able to pull off onto the shoulder and turned the key to the off position, waited a few minutes and started it up again. Check engine light did NOT come on, and the car seemed to start up just fine. It was nearly 6 o'clock in the evening and the only service shop still open was the Ford dealer. So I decide to head over and get onto the four lane interstate through downtown, when about 5 miles down the road the car shuts off again (scary during rush hour). I manage to get it started again and make it to the dealer (this time the check engine light came on).

They determined that the throttle body had failed and luckily they just so happened to have one in stock. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

Darn Ford products

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3876218

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean.mohr View Post
Pro: If you buy the Fusion, you won't have to be seen in a Kia.
TBFusion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
ahanix1989

Send a message via ICQ to ahanix1989 Send a message via AIM to ahanix1989 Send a message via MSN to ahanix1989 Send a message via Yahoo to ahanix1989

Wonder what the overall failure rate on those is... I've heard several people on this forum have that problem.
ahanix1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
wireless
Le Mans: GT Class

I'm curious too.. I really hate electronic throttle..

'10 Sterling Grey Fusion SE 2.5L, EvoX-R retrofit
wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Fusion6
Go-Kart Driver

i have a good TB for sale if someone needs it, but the V6 Mazda 6 had these issues too, there is a TSB on it

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Fusion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
benk016
Moped Rider

Mine has been doing this randomly for the last several months. I finally let the dealership have my car over night and they were able to recover the wrench light error after 9 hours of searching in the logs. However since they couldn't document the error before my warranty ran out Ford refused to honor it under the warranty even though it was brought in other times for that issue while in warranty. I was able to buy one from another dealership for $140.00 and put it on myself. My dealership wanted $500 to put one on for me. They did waive the diagnostic fee for me since I had bought 2 cars from them in the last year. Just wanted to let people know my story since I've seen many cases that the dealership can't find the code after re-starting the car. The code IS stored in there, it just takes several hours to find.
benk016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
uroverdrive
Go-Kart Driver

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion I4 SEL with a healthy 82,000 miles on it (thanks to a decently long commute).

This past Friday, about 1 mile after pulling off the interstate (thankfully), I experienced substantial power loss, the wrench light came on, and the car was shuddering noticeably. I was able to pull off onto a local cul-de-sac, at which point I fully expected the car to die. I turned off the engine, waited about a minute, and though it took longer to start than usual, the car started up and ran normally (and the wrench light was off).

As soon as I got to work, I headed to this forum and lo and behold, found this thread. This was helpful because, when I called the dealer, I told my preferred service tech that I suspected it was the throttle body. He agreed that it "sounded" like a throttle body issue (he admitted this is a known issue). After driving home from work Friday night, I did not use the Fusion all weekend except to do a night drop at the dealer on Sunday.

Dealer called this morning - guess what? Bad throttle body. It is covered under the extended warranty (albeit with my deductible).

I've read here and elsewhere that people have experienced this multiple times and even some dealers have refused to repair because of "failure to replicate." That boggles my mind. I can't even imagine what would have happened if this had happened to me on the highway.
uroverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain