SEL V6 AWD - Throttle Body? - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Ford Fusion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
hondaconvert
Go-Kart Driver

Default SEL V6 AWD - Throttle Body?

Hi guys,
I was driving my 2010 SEL yesterday when the car just lost power and slowed to a stop - no response from the accelerator - and the little orange wrench idiot light came on. Not wanting to destroy anything, I had Ford roadside assistance transport the car to the dealer who was unable to pinpoint a problem and wanted to keep the car overnight. Today, they determined that it was the throttle body which needs to be replaced. So, my questions are:
1. What is the throttle body and what does it do?
2. Is this a common problem?
3. Should this happen to a new car (I have only 20,000 miles on it)?
4. Should I ditch the Fusion for something more reliable (I've had no other problems with the car)? As a woman, I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere someday because of things like this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
My Car so far...'10 SEL V6 AWD...smokestone/med. light stone leather...Moon and Tune...CD3Fusion shortie antenna...Lloyd mats...Patriot custom emblem decal...LED license plate, map, puddle and dome/reading lamps...
hondaconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
blackfusion06
F1 Driver

Default Re: SEL V6 AWD - Throttle Body?

1. What is the throttle body and what does it do? it allows air into the motor for the combustion proccess it is what is connected to the go pedal

2. Is this a common problem? with the new electronic throttle bodies (run by the computer) who knows they are inexpensive on the used market (if it happens again after warranty) I personally dont like them I prefer the older cable driven throttles.

3. Should this happen to a new car (I have only 20,000 miles on it)? anything can happen to a new or and old car things break. that is why you have a warranty.

4. Should I ditch the Fusion for something more reliable (I've had no other problems with the car)? As a woman, I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere someday because of things like this.
many of us have had the fusion for years with little to no issues and have been a great car. then again there have been lemons. in your case if this is the only issue so far i think you are good to stay with the car. unless of course you want to sell it to me for a $1 then you should get rid of it ASAP!!!
blackfusion06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
OhNoFiveOh
Short Track Racer

I see your dollar and raise you 99 more. One "Benjamin" later it's mine!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
hondaconvert
Go-Kart Driver

Thanks for the information. The Fusion is my first new car in 26 years, so I'm not used to these electronic failures. I like mechanical things that I can sometimes fix myself. But I do like the car, so I guess I'll hang on to it. Thanks again.
My Car so far...'10 SEL V6 AWD...smokestone/med. light stone leather...Moon and Tune...CD3Fusion shortie antenna...Lloyd mats...Patriot custom emblem decal...LED license plate, map, puddle and dome/reading lamps...
Old 07-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
ischn23
Le Mans: GT Class

I know the discussion of this thread is about replacing the throttle body, but I've been wanting to clean mine sometime soon along with cleaning my intake filter. Is it necessary to remove the TB completely for cleaning, or can I leave it bolted to the intake manifold as long as I'm careful not to spray the TB cleaner too far back? Is the latter too risky of getting junk in the engine? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I don't think it matters in this case, but my Fusion is FWD, not AWD like the OP.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
hondaconvert
Go-Kart Driver

Well, it's fixed, and the new throttle body seems to be working fine. The service manager even took the time to actually open the hood of my car and explain the what, when, where, and how of the throttle body to me. So I guess I'm hanging on to the Fusion.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
themason
Le Mans: GT Class

This isn't a common problem with the V6 Fusion T/B's but sometimes things fail. It sounds like the actuator for the T/B gave out and caused limp mode to kick in. For future reference, if the cars wrench light comes on that is limp mode and the car shuts itself down controlled to allow you to pull over. once you've pulled over, you can place it in park and try to turn it back over. if it turns back over the light wont still be on. from there you can check the noises coming from the motor and whatnot to get an idea if there really is anything drastically wrong. Limp mode is enduced relatively quick with only a +/- 10% window from all the sensors that can enduce a limp mode. just some thoughts off the top of me head. have a good one.
themason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum > Technical / Model / Performance for the Fusion, Milan, Zephyr > Engine & Drivetrain